Linux Updated to 14.04,now xbmc crashes
Just upgraded to 14.04 xubuntu.
I removed xscreensaver 1st as I read it can cause conflicts.

Now when I start xbmc I get the homescreen and I just get time to make out a banner at the top which reads something along the lines of "read usr/share/doc/xbmc/README.Debian" before the screen turns blue and freezes.

Do I need to uninstall xbmc and re-install it ? I'm on 12.3 frodo
Huh

when i first read this i thought it said x(bmc)ubuntu -- sorry.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
that banner means you are running a non supported version(from debian). Either report your issue to debian or install a proper version from our PPAs. Until gotham is final, there are only unstable(soon rc1) and nightly builds for ubuntu 14.04.
There is no Offcial Frodo for 14.04 only rubbish from Debian which doesnt work.

To get offical XBMC see Team XBMC PPA (wiki) and add the unstable ppa for Gotham RC or compile your own Frodo if you are unwilling to use Gotham officially supported packages.
Turns out it's not just xbmc that's not working.
I'm getting screen tearing or whatever it's called as soon as I try to watch anything in firefox and then it freezes a few seconds later.

So,from having a perfectly working pc before I upgraded I now have a totally non working one Sad
Ubuntu upgrades have a bad habit of breaking things.
I've learned the hard way you are better off just biting the bullet & doing a fresh install.
At least with Xubuntu 14.04 you have 3 years before you need to do it againWink
(2014-04-26, 15:46)Daz2013 Wrote: Turns out it's not just xbmc that's not working.
I'm getting screen tearing or whatever it's called as soon as I try to watch anything in firefox and then it freezes a few seconds later.

So,from having a perfectly working pc before I upgraded I now have a totally non working one Sad

Regarding the screen tearing, are you using an nVidia GPU?
(2014-04-27, 16:41)AP0ll0UK Wrote:
(2014-04-26, 15:46)Daz2013 Wrote: Turns out it's not just xbmc that's not working.

Regarding the screen tearing, are you using an nVidia GPU?

Yes,how did you guess lol
I've read a few other threads with the same issues.There is a fix I believe,I just haven't tried it yet
Yes disable compositing and disable X11 backing store
This was the fix I followed [Ubuntu 14.04 x64, nVidia GT 640 - 304.117]:-

Quote:cat /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf

[SeatDefaults]
xserver-command=X -bs -core

Hope that helps.
+ disabling compositing in Ubuntu.
(2014-04-27, 18:48)AP0ll0UK Wrote: This was the fix I followed [Ubuntu 14.04 x64, nVidia GT 640 - 304.117]:-

[SeatDefaults]

Hope that helps.

That will be overwritten with system updates, better to make changed is /etc/...
(2014-04-27, 22:48)teeedubb Wrote:
(2014-04-27, 18:48)AP0ll0UK Wrote: This was the fix I followed [Ubuntu 14.04 x64, nVidia GT 640 - 304.117]:-

[SeatDefaults]

Hope that helps.

That will be overwritten with system updates, better to make changed is /etc/...

Can you tell me the actual commands I need to use ?
sudo cp /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/ && sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf
(2014-04-29, 08:52)teeedubb Wrote: sudo cp /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/ && sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf

I'm afraid that didn't work mate

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated to 14.04,now xbmc crashes0