• 21(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
What is the main difference between ChrOpenElec and Chrubuntu ?

If I want to run CouchPotato/FlexRaid/SickBeard/uTorrent/MySQL alongside XBMC i'm better going with ubuntu right ?

For a non-linux user, is it that hard to get everything set up properly ?
(2014-04-27, 23:19)Netix Wrote: What is the main difference between ChrOpenElec and Chrubuntu ?

If I want to run CouchPotato/FlexRaid/SickBeard/uTorrent/MySQL alongside XBMC i'm better going with ubuntu right ?

For a non-linux user, is it that hard to get everything set up properly ?

OpenELEC is a slim/minimal linux distro designed to run XBMC, and that's it. If you need those other functions, a full Ubuntu setup is likely a better option. Not sure how hard it is to set up those other functions, but just getting Ubuntu running on a ChromeBox is more difficult than on a regular PC because it's designed to run ChromeOS and that's it
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9579...20XBMC.htm

Backup copy of the wiki until it is back.

Link for locally stored folder so you can view with images and such....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1dtkpft9xm6d07p/1UxIbb4Jel

If you are unfamiliar with dropbox use the menu link at the top to download the folder as a zip and place it in the same folder as the .htm to view locally.

Isn't XBMC under Ubuntu messed up with the Intel drivers as well? I read it had performance issues because of this. If not, then an Ubuntu install would negate ChromeOS usefulness completely IMO.
First off, I want to thank all of you participating in this thread and on the wiki. I got my Chromebox yesterday and with the help provided here have it up and running exactly how I wanted.
FWIW i'm dual booting Ubuntu and ChromeOS, and directly booting into Ubuntu with XBMC set to autostart.

Just wanted to share one change I made. When setting the boot flag I used:
sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x488
This way it automatically boots to Ubuntu but gives me approximately 30 seconds to ctrl-d into ChromeOS instead of just 1.
I prefer it this way since about the only time I'll be rebooting is to use ChromeOS it gives me a little more leeway.
Just wanted to post in case it will be helpful for anyone else.
Again, thanks to all, it's made it so easy to get the chronic setup and rolling.
(2014-04-28, 03:42)ccruzen Wrote: First off, I want to thank all of you participating in this thread and on the wiki. I got my Chromebox yesterday and with the help provided here have it up and running exactly how I wanted.
FWIW i'm dual booting Ubuntu and ChromeOS, and directly booting into Ubuntu with XBMC set to autostart.

Just wanted to share one change I made. When setting the boot flag I used:
sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x488
This way it automatically boots to Ubuntu but gives me approximately 30 seconds to ctrl-d into ChromeOS instead of just 1.
I prefer it this way since about the only time I'll be rebooting is to use ChromeOS it gives me a little more leeway.
Just wanted to post in case it will be helpful for anyone else.
Again, thanks to all, it's made it so easy to get the chronic setup and rolling.

How is it performing xbmc within ubuntu? also what version of ubuntu are you using. From what i know Chrubuntu uses ChromeOS kernel so wifi, etc drivers work out of the box but don't know if you installed ubuntu without the script or what ehe
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I wonder if there is a way to boot to some sort of boot menu letting you choose between sd/usb/internal...My K360 doesn't work before a full OS load just as the k400 so any kind of dual boot still requires hard wire keyboard. I think puppy linux would be awesome from an SD card since it loads fully into ram and you could save the full internal memory for Openelec.

Would be nice if the SD card went in fully, I guess I need one of those short adapters such as found for raspberry pi. Can someone verify full bluray quality rips with HD audio over a linux distro running XBMC?
If OpenElec is the primary OS for a Chromebox, can bluetooth devices still be used/registered?
If not, can I just pop in a BT dongle so I don't have to turn it on in the Chrome OS, or does OE have it?
Did we determine if we can use PS3 or Ouya controllers for this?
Since there is no IR, I'd rather just use whatever I have laying around for now until I buy a proper remote. Everything I own seems to be BT.
(2014-04-28, 06:29)Veronica Wrote: How is it performing xbmc within ubuntu? also what version of ubuntu are you using. From what i know Chrubuntu uses ChromeOS kernel so wifi, etc drivers work out of the box but don't know if you installed ubuntu without the script or what ehe

ChrUbuntu used to use the ChromeOS kernel, but doesn't for newer x86_64 (vs Arm) ChromeOS devices

(2014-04-28, 06:34)jsp1 Wrote: I wonder if there is a way to boot to some sort of boot menu letting you choose between sd/usb/internal...My K360 doesn't work before a full OS load just as the k400 so any kind of dual boot still requires hard wire keyboard. I think puppy linux would be awesome from an SD card since it loads fully into ram and you could save the full internal memory for Openelec.

my K360 works fine, I can hit ESC on the legacy BIOS boot screen and choose to boot from USB or internal

Quote: Can someone verify full bluray quality rips with HD audio over a linux distro running XBMC?

edit: read too quickly

(2014-04-28, 07:38)McButton Wrote: If OpenElec is the primary OS for a Chromebox, can bluetooth devices still be used/registered?
If not, can I just pop in a BT dongle so I don't have to turn it on in the Chrome OS, or does OE have it?
Did we determine if we can use PS3 or Ouya controllers for this?
Since there is no IR, I'd rather just use whatever I have laying around for now until I buy a proper remote. Everything I own seems to be BT.

BT devices work normally, just need to be paired via the OpenELEC settings add-on. BT in ChromeOS has no bearing on OE. Not sure anyone has tested either of those controllers yet.
Quote:
Can someone verify full bluray quality rips with HD audio over a linux distro running XBMC?

[already did, no issues. Even High-10 content plays back perfectly.]

So, just to be sure, that is under Ubuntu and not OpenELEC..correct?

Also, not sure why my K360 doesn't work like yours. Maybe since I have had it for a long time they have changed the hardware somehow recently.
(2014-04-28, 16:22)jsp1 Wrote: So, just to be sure, that is under Ubuntu and not OpenELEC..correct?

Also, not sure why my K360 doesn't work like yours. Maybe since I have had it for a long time they have changed the hardware somehow recently.

sorry, I was reading too fast. I'm not sure if anyone has tested under a full distro + XBMC.

I have two new K360s and they both work fine, as does my K520. All using Unifying receivers. A K400 I tested did not work, not did an older wired compact logitech keyboard.
I've got an additional 2GB ram disk coming in today, exact match so dual channel should work. Once it is installed I'll give Ubuntu + XBMC a shot and report back for anyone interested. I'm surprised this thread hasn't picked up more momentum yet considering the popularity of the hardware...perhaps people are actually using it for ChromeOS. I personally didn't find much value in that compared to a fully featured media center or a fully featured OS, but to each their own.

Thanks for all the continued efforts and support Matt. I appreciate that you take the time to answer everyone's questions and share all your work to improve on the chromebox experience.
(2014-04-28, 17:04)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-04-28, 16:22)jsp1 Wrote: So, just to be sure, that is under Ubuntu and not OpenELEC..correct?

sorry, I was reading too fast. I'm not sure if anyone has tested under a full distro + XBMC.

I have two new K360s and they both work fine, as does my K520. All using Unifying receivers. A K400 I tested did not work, not did an older wired compact logitech keyboard.

So the K400 doesn't work at all ? Is it only when booting ? if I install Ubuntu would it work inside XBMC once the device is booted ?
(2014-04-28, 20:01)Netix Wrote: So the K400 doesn't work at all ? Is it only when booting ? if I install Ubuntu would it work inside XBMC once the device is booted ?

it doesn't work on the dev boot screen, so you can't use CTRL-D/U/L. Once the OS is booted it works correctly, so you just can't use it to do the initial config of the box
Hi Guys,

I got my box a couple of days ago and fiddled with it today questions and findings;

1. Do i put the firmware screw back (or leave it out forever?)
2. I used the 1st legacy bios from the wiki (with a little longer startup time) since the 2nd didnt respond to CNTRL L
3. I bought to box to de-interlace yadif 2x, 1.st De-Interlacing on makes the screen tremble 2nd Yadif de-interlacing is not available
4. My only possible remote is a PS3 BD remote, but entering OE settings it says NO BLUETOOTH ADAPTER found. I even put in an extra one via USB but nothing
//edit 5. It crashes upon loading freesat HD channels

My biggest disappointment is point nr 3, de-interlacing is unusable as is Sad I de-interlace a satellite mpeg2 stream)
Please help me out with the remote as well!

// OVERALL EDIT

ok, a reboot solved a lot of problems!
De-Interlacing magicly became available the way I wanted.
Bluetooth needs to be enabled first in the services menu! (tip for others)! This makes a PS3 BD remote work out of the box!
I still had 1 reboot upon loading up a HD channel but it went well many times, so far I am happy.
1) I'm leaving mine out
2) which legacy BIOS you have flashed doesn't affect the operation of CTRL-D/U/L, those happen before the legacy BIOS is loaded.
3) got a link to a sample?
4) mine shows / connects / pairs just fine with both a BT keyboard and BT audio gateway
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8