• 133(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-29, 04:16)Japgeisha Wrote: just wondering if firetv update can be controlled . or is it automatic update that can happen . becuz if it happens will loose xbmc , thx god bless

amazon updates to firetv shouldn't harm xbmc since amazon specifically allows sideloading. It will wipe out root, if we ever get it, that is.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-04-29, 00:08)DiegoMejia Wrote:
(2014-04-28, 18:06)Senaxx Wrote: I saw the XBMC FireTV installer script in this topic, but those apk names where hardcoded, so I decided to improve the "installer" a bit.

You download the latest nightly from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/ put it in the XBMC dir and run the installer. It will install XBMC to
your Amazon FireTV. I also added the option to install autopilot and an uninstall option.

Download

Nicely done, i'd be careful about using powershell since XP users wont be able to run correctly unless they install powershell.

UPDATE:
also i would add code to download the apks on the fly instead of having them already present
bitsadmin.exe /transfer "AutoPilot" "https://diegomejia.globat.com/android/AutoPilot.apk" c:\Location\Autopilot.apk

Yeah I also looked into bitsadmin.exe, but I read somewhere that bitsadmin is deprecated. But the same can be said from powershell. But it's not very smart anymore to use XP anyway since support stopped and a critical IE flaw is out and never will be patched. But it might be an idea to download the APK and then install it. Same could be done for installing latest nightly from XBMC.
(2014-04-29, 05:16)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-28, 20:49)Apothis Wrote: I only have 1 Dolby TrueHD to test just now, but that seemed to be getting passed through as stereo, not sure if TrueHD contains a core 5.1 or 2.0 component, or if it varies.

Sadly not. The DTS-HD spec calls for an extractable DTS core, but on Blu-Rays that come with TrueHD, the DD track is actually separate- you'd need to rip both to bitstream surround sound on a system that doesn't support TrueHD bitstreaming. Not sure on Gotham, but I know that on Frodo if you have both TrueHD and DD, and you're hooked up with optical, it'll bitstream the DD track rather than downmix the TrueHD.

Ahh, thankyou for the clarification. I know DTS-MA includes the core DTS component, but I didnt know that with TrueHD the DD component would be entirely seperate. Explains why a rip with only the TrueHD stream was being decoded to 2.0.
Hello
Does anybody know how to change firetv timezone to european? It shows me only us timezones...
Or maybe there is possibility, to change it in xbmc itself?
(2014-04-29, 12:04)quba666 Wrote: Hello
Does anybody know how to change firetv timezone to european? It shows me only us timezones...

You cant just yet, as its only available in the US, Amazon has locked timezones down to those only
(2014-04-29, 12:10)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 12:04)quba666 Wrote: Hello

You cant just yet, as its only available in the US, Amazon has locked timezones down to those only

Is there any way to adjust time/timezone with advancedsettings.xml?
For me NAS media playback (with FTV) works better/faster with NFS mount compared to SMB. I had no issues on ATV2 with NFS but with FTV that did not work. Read worked after I added 'insecure' to export file in NAS. Write for Thumbnails did not work even after adding anonuid to NAS exports till I saw Diegomejia's post - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1690670 , and it worked after a update (I did not do reinstall).
Here is a recap of what I did to make NFS (for linux based NAS) work for FTV. I believe these changes on NFS mount is Android related and not specific to FTV.
In this example - 192.168.1.101 is the ip address of FTV and 192.168.1.102 is the NAS.

In advancedsettings.xml for Thumbnail cache (write to NAS) add this in substitute.
Quote:<to>nfs://192.168.1.102/mnt/path_write/FTV/userdata_spmc/Thumbnails/</to>
If you have multiple xbmc installation in FTV, use different folders for Thumbnails in those xmls.
Note I tried with userid and password here in path initially. That works in ATV2 (without insecure in NAS exports file) but does not work in FTV. To circumvent I had to update my exports file in NAS and add anonuid/anongid.

sources.xml remained same as what I had in ATV2. As mentioned above it worked after adding insecure in NAS exports file.
Quote:nfs://192.168.1.102/mnt/path_read
Assuming you have a linux based NAS with a directory where you have provided read access and another directory with write access.
Edit your exports file (/ffp/etc/exports) with any available editor (vi).
By default on my NAS I had this on exports file.
Quote:/mnt/path_write 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/path_read 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)
I changed exports file to
Quote:/mnt/path_write 192.118.1.101(rw,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=502)
/mnt/path_read 192.118.1.101(ro,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=502)
For starters, you can get anonuid and anongid (group id) by using command like this in NAS command line (use telnet to get into NAS if you have access) and it will vary depending on your NAS set up.
Quote:cat /etc/passwd
Reboot NAS to get the exports in effect. Clear cache, clear data in FTV for XBMC, and then use -r option in desktop to update xbmc installation for NFS write to work in FTV XBMC.
anyone run a VPN on here?
(2014-04-29, 16:57)ilovemymac Wrote: anyone run a VPN on here?

Is that an FTV specific question? Isn't this thread big enough? Maybe start a thread for "FireTV users in other countries who are using VPN to skirt Amazon's policies"... and then the three of you can hang out and chat about it.
Can anyone please share their Handbrake preset that works well with Fire TV? I am new to Handbrake and it is confusing. What are the optimal settings for movies?
This is the last warning: If this thread doesn't refocus on running XBMC on AFTV, I'll close it.
(2014-04-29, 17:01)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 16:57)ilovemymac Wrote: anyone run a VPN on here?

Is that an FTV specific question? Isn't this thread big enough? Maybe start a thread for "FireTV users in other countries who are using VPN to skirt Amazon's policies"... and then the three of you can hang out and chat about it.

Has nothing to do with policies but so much more stuff is available on Netflix and other apps in the us then in uk. Nothing wrong with it.
But there is addons for Xbmc like hgtv and food and others that are legal addons but still don't work outside the us.
(2014-04-29, 15:10)jbrew Wrote: For me NAS media playback (with FTV) works better/faster with NFS mount compared to SMB. I had no issues on ATV2 with NFS but with FTV that did not work. Read worked after I added 'insecure' to export file in NAS. Write for Thumbnails did not work even after adding anonuid to NAS exports till I saw Diegomejia's post - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1690670 , and it worked after a update (I did not do reinstall).
Here is a recap of what I did to make NFS (for linux based NAS) work for FTV. I believe these changes on NFS mount is Android related and not specific to FTV.
In this example - 192.168.1.101 is the ip address of FTV and 192.168.1.102 is the NAS.

In advancedsettings.xml for Thumbnail cache (write to NAS) add this in substitute.
Quote:<to>nfs://192.168.1.102/mnt/path_write/FTV/userdata_spmc/Thumbnails/</to>
If you have multiple xbmc installation in FTV, use different folders for Thumbnails in those xmls.
Note I tried with userid and password here in path initially. That works in ATV2 (without insecure in NAS exports file) but does not work in FTV. To circumvent I had to update my exports file in NAS and add anonuid/anongid.

sources.xml remained same as what I had in ATV2. As mentioned above it worked after adding insecure in NAS exports file.
Quote:nfs://192.168.1.102/mnt/path_read
Assuming you have a linux based NAS with a directory where you have provided read access and another directory with write access.
Edit your exports file (/ffp/etc/exports) with any available editor (vi).
By default on my NAS I had this on exports file.
Quote:/mnt/path_write 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/path_read 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)
I changed exports file to
Quote:/mnt/path_write 192.118.1.101(rw,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=502)
/mnt/path_read 192.118.1.101(ro,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=502)
For starters, you can get anonuid and anongid (group id) by using command like this in NAS command line (use telnet to get into NAS if you have access) and it will vary depending on your NAS set up.
Quote:cat /etc/passwd
Reboot NAS to get the exports in effect. Clear cache, clear data in FTV for XBMC, and then use -r option in desktop to update xbmc installation for NFS write to work in FTV XBMC.

NFS is less of a resource hog which is why it performs better then SMB.

On my Synology i had to do something simliar.run cat /etc/exports than I changed insecure_locks to insecure
Before
/volume1/media *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure_locks,no_root_squash,sec=sys,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
After.
/volume1/media *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,no_root_squash,sec=sys,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

I would be interested to find out how many people are using smb and suggest they try nfs. I've heard of this being a problem for rasberry pi users. I'll test smb when i get home and see how much of a difference it is using SPMC on the FTV.
Why would you use smb over nfs?
(2014-04-29, 17:26)Koying Wrote: This is the last warning: If this thread doesn't refocus on running XBMC on AFTV, I'll close it.

I agree the thread is getting stupid. Could I ask that rather than close it, any post that is off topic is deleted without warning and any post that asks a question asked/answered in thread or in the Wiki is also deleted without warning. That would soon reduce the activity in this thread to real informative debate.
  • 133(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10