• 134(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-29, 18:17)ilovemymac Wrote: Why would you use smb over nfs?

I meant those reporting latency when using XBMC, its a good idea to ask them if they are using smb or nfs. Suggest they use the other and report their findings. Windows users will typically use smb because its easier to do.
The interest for xbmc on aft is obviously very high. Is anyone investigating what it would take to get xbmc in the Amazon app store? I know that in the past this has been difficult, but with the amount of interest I see this as an enormous opportunity for xbmc to becom the media center application.
ISTR this was asked and answered in this thread already!!!!!!!! Wont happen due to licensing issues... Search for the full answer?
I actually got to spend some time watching movies and have noted some non-reproducible pauses in the HD Video while the audio goes on and then the video catchs-up to the audio. I haven't gotten a log file for that (sorry, was watching the movies with family). It only happens a few times an hour. I _am_ running SMB (FreeNAS - CIFS). It is not terribly difficult to switch to NFS (I already have NFS available for previous XBMC devices).

I have seen the NAS feed 72 Mbps over CIFS to the FTV for brief periods of time. I find this number 'strange' based on previous non-FTV ARM devices. I will try some SMB tests and then some NFS tests. Typical for an BD (BD ISO, AVC) movie is the 40-50Mbps range. If I Recall, CIFS is fairly chatty with overhead.

Do I need the NFS mounts writable in order to download SRTs in the 'new Gotham way'? I don't mind them being stored 'Next to Video'.

I was unable to get my thumbs and art on the NAS this weekend, I still mean to attempt that as the flash on the FTV is getting pretty full -- although XBMC is only using about 500Meg of 'Data' in addition to the application size
did anyone get the new amazon update to 51.1.0.2 , any changes noticed?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2014-04-29, 19:04)thefrog Wrote: I actually got to spend some time watching movies and have noted some non-reproducible pauses in the HD Video while the audio goes on and then the video catchs-up to the audio. I haven't gotten a log file for that (sorry, was watching the movies with family). It only happens a few times an hour. I _am_ running SMB (FreeNAS - CIFS). It is not terribly difficult to switch to NFS (I already have NFS available for previous XBMC devices).

I have seen the NAS feed 72 Mbps over CIFS to the FTV for brief periods of time. I find this number 'strange' based on previous non-FTV ARM devices. I will try some SMB tests and then some NFS tests. Typical for an BD (BD ISO, AVC) movie is the 40-50Mbps range. If I Recall, CIFS is fairly chatty with overhead.

Do I need the NFS mounts writable in order to download SRTs in the 'new Gotham way'? I don't mind them being stored 'Next to Video'.

I was unable to get my thumbs and art on the NAS this weekend, I still mean to attempt that as the flash on the FTV is getting pretty full -- although XBMC is only using about 500Meg of 'Data' in addition to the application size

Yes, NFS mounts need to be writable.... i dont recall the reason why but i remember you did. I look forward to your findings. Would be great if this information helps out those that are noticing latency.
(2014-04-29, 18:27)DiegoMejia Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 18:17)ilovemymac Wrote: Why would you use smb over nfs?

I meant those reporting latency when using XBMC, its a good idea to ask them if they are using smb or nfs. Suggest they use the other and report their findings. Windows users will typically use smb because its easier to do.

I tried both SMB and NFS on my Synology NAS and can confirm that NFS was significantly faster than SMB.
Anyone with experience on RC1 vs recent nightly on here?
(2014-04-29, 18:45)Methanoid Wrote: ISTR this was asked and answered in this thread already!!!!!!!! Wont happen due to licensing issues... Search for the full answer?

When I mean investigate. I mean a way to be creative. What if a vanilla xbmc app (no dts/dd or licensed items in the build, more of a place holder) were submitted. This would allow us to possibly replace the app store xbmc with a fully functioning one. Allowing xbmc to be seen as a supported app, but with limited functionality until you side load.
(2014-04-29, 20:26)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 18:45)Methanoid Wrote: ISTR this was asked and answered in this thread already!!!!!!!! Wont happen due to licensing issues... Search for the full answer?

When I mean investigate. I mean a way to be creative. What if a vanilla xbmc app (no dts/dd or licensed items in the build, more of a place holder) were submitted. This would allow us to possibly replace the app store xbmc with a fully functioning one. Allowing xbmc to be seen as a supported app, but with limited functionality until you side load.

This conversation initiated somewhere around this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1673731

Since this is a 'more than FireTV' post, it should be relegated to it's own thread. It is likely to be ignored in the context of FireTV thread since it applies generally to android based stores and licensing. I think thwarting licensing is a taboo subject and should be generally avoided -- doubly-so in this Amazon Fire TV for XBMC thread.

Just my .02
god bless you all . is there a way using gotham to have confluence in skin to support a display of 7 icons instead of 5 thx
(2014-04-29, 20:42)Japgeisha Wrote: god bless you all . is there a way using gotham to have confluence in skin to support a display of 7 icons instead of 5 thx

MOD EDIT: removed mention of piracy sites
Okay, I know that we need to be focusing on using the Gotham build since that's the direction we're moving, but I'm using SPMC on my FTV since I'm sharing my media library among multiple devices, and Gotham isn't quite ready for all of those devices yet. That said, I'm seeing a bit of an odd error when exiting out of at least some videos.

When a video ends either by clicking the stop button in the OSD or when the video reaches the end, I briefly get a screen tiled with smaller versions of the OSD. It's primarily an annoyance, but it's the only real problem I've had using XBMC on the FTV. Any ideas on what might be causing it or how to fix it?
(2014-04-29, 20:45)ilovemymac Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 20:42)Japgeisha Wrote: god bless you all . is there a way using gotham to have confluence in skin to support a display of 7 icons instead of 5 thx

Take this to the general or add-on forum.
(2014-04-29, 21:08)who.is.matt Wrote: Okay, I know that we need to be focusing on using the Gotham build since that's the direction we're moving, but I'm using SPMC on my FTV since I'm sharing my media library among multiple devices, and Gotham isn't quite ready for all of those devices yet. That said, I'm seeing a bit of an odd error when exiting out of at least some videos.

When a video ends either by clicking the stop button in the OSD or when the video reaches the end, I briefly get a screen tiled with smaller versions of the OSD. It's primarily an annoyance, but it's the only real problem I've had using XBMC on the FTV. Any ideas on what might be causing it or how to fix it?

I see a similar thing when pressing play. It was brief and not terribly disturbing. We should each try capturing a camera video of it occurring and posting it. I hadn't thought of it as a problem before -- and now it escapes my notice because I am 'used' to it.
  • 134(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10