• 140(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
@who.is.matt

You might already be aware but someone is already progressing on the same concept (launcher for sideloaded XMBC) for Ouya:

http://www.progressivethink.in/on/ouya/a...cher-ouya/

Now the Ouya store isn't the Amazon store and Ouya Android isn't Amazon Android but I believe something like a launcher would be relatively easy to port. Maybe you should join forces and see if you can get it by Amazon?
(2014-05-01, 17:15)thefrog Wrote: On the Wiki ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama..._TV#Gotham ) it says that MediaCodec should be 'off' for Gotham. Is this still accurate? I have had it 'on' for my tests and I am wondering if this is a source of occasional problems.

If it is not accurate, I could update the wiki.

im still running with it "off" , with it enabled i got choppy video, just updated to the rc1 gotham release and havent tried media codec again but i think it still should be disabled and libstagefright should be "on"
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Still choppy playback with mediacodec enabled in RC1.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-05-01, 22:09)hdmkv Wrote: Still choppy playback with mediacodec enabled in RC1.

& @dukester

I am using DVD and BD ISO files

MPEG2 DVD and AVC BD's and they are rarely 'choppy' on Gotham RC1 for me. I am not terribly perceptive (sorry), so what am I looking for?

VC-1 BD ISO files are unwatchable for reasons that are known (no HW accelerated decoding).
I was hoping someone could advise me on what I have done wrong with my Llama setup.

I’m running a Gotham nightly from 27th April and I have Llama configured exactly as described in the wiki, even with matching screenshots.

XBMC launches okay with my chosen app from the amazon launcher.

The problem is that XBMC won’t exit using the quit timer when Llama is running, and as such the FireTV won’t sleep. When I manually exit, the “sacrificial” app still appears to be running which forces XBMC to restart. The only method of stopping XBMC is to kill Llama through XBMC and then quit. I have tried different apps in case Llama was having a problem killing a particular app, but to no avail.

I noticed on page 100 or so in the forum that someone had a similar problem (I think) but would anyone have a solution please?

Thanks.
(2014-05-01, 22:57)Resnoid Wrote: I was hoping someone could advise me on what I have done wrong with my Llama setup.

I’m running a Gotham nightly from 27th April and I have Llama configured exactly as described in the wiki, even with matching screenshots.

XBMC launches okay with my chosen app from the amazon launcher.

The problem is that XBMC won’t exit using the quit timer when Llama is running, and as such the FireTV won’t sleep. When I manually exit, the “sacrificial” app still appears to be running which forces XBMC to restart. The only method of stopping XBMC is to kill Llama through XBMC and then quit. I have tried different apps in case Llama was having a problem killing a particular app, but to no avail.

I noticed on page 100 or so in the forum that someone had a similar problem (I think) but would anyone have a solution please?

Thanks.

There must be some mistake in the actions that you configured in Llama. I used a variant of New Event 4 in the Wiki, which basically launches XBMC when I launch the sacrificial app (let's use Plex as an example).

Condition: App started or in foreground, Plex
Add Action, Kill Application, Plex (or app you chose above)
Add Action, Run Application, XBMC

Notice that the macro kills the sacrificial app so it should not be running.

BTW, you clearly do not want to use Plex as a sacrificial app. I am using MBC on Demand for its small footprint (<500kb).
Thank-you for the speedy reply Smile

I will have another go after I get home from work and report back, but I'm pretty sure I had it correct. It may just have been a late night problem on my part of course.

At present I'm using Plex for the kids shows as it is easier for them to launch, which is the only reason I'm not touching it at the moment. I have tried AllCast and ReduxTV chosen mainly because I liked the icons for XBMC.

Out of curiosity, do you have any of the other events in use or just number 4?

Cheers
(2014-05-01, 23:28)Resnoid Wrote: Out of curiosity, do you have any of the other events in use or just number 4?

Only number 4. I do not want to boot directly into XBMC, as I often use AFTV apps. Number 4 allows easy access to XBMC from the home screen, which is exactly what I was looking for Smile
I am using the Keymap 3 in the Wiki and wondering if there is any way to add additional commands using long presses. We can assign multiple commands to one key, if required. I saw a similar thread for Apple remotes.
(2014-05-01, 15:48)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-05-01, 08:27)who.is.matt Wrote:
(2014-05-01, 04:38)nuentes Wrote: I don't want to see XBMC in the store, but I'd like to see it on the homescreen.

Speaking of that... I have a basic startup app working. It was really simple once I got Eclipse and ADT set up correctly. Right now, all it does is start SPMC since that's what I have installed on my Fire TV. But what I'd like it to do is have it check if XBMC (any of the versions currently recommended for the Fire TV) is installed, then:
  • if no versions of XMBC are detected, display a message directing them to the wiki page
  • if one version is installed, automatically start XBMC
  • if more than one version is installed, ask the user which one to launch, with the option to remember the choice and start that version automatically
It's not difficult at all from a basic programming standpoint. I just need to reacquaint myself with Java and read up a bit more on how Android handles the GUI elements.

Once I get that working, I'll submit the app to the Amazon App Store. I looked over Amazon's content guidelines and didn't see anything that would prevent it from being accepted, since it's really not doing anything that the various launchers don't (or couldn't) do. And really, it should be a lot more preferable to Amazon from a business standpoint than the various launchers in the App Store, since the entire purpose of my app is to make the FireTV interface more pleasant to use for XBMC users rather than replace it.

If the app is accepted in the App Store, then the problem's solved. We'll still have to side-load XBMC onto the Fire TV, but we'll be able to access it from the FireTV's Apps menu.
Brilliant, this is a great solution. I thought someone would come up with a better idea than my half baked stripped down xbmc option. Let us know the progress on this as I think this is a step in the right direction. Increasing WAF is always a top priority... if the boss isn't happy, no one is happy.

I agree, that is an excellent idea if they will approve it... since it's nothing but a launcher then maybe!

Not having XBMC on the home page is one of the things holding up the WAF on this box... it would be great to see a solution... and it's a real bummer about lack of full VC1 hardware decode... I don't see myself re-encoding all of my numerous VC1 encoded BD rips.
(2014-05-01, 21:46)ixian Wrote: You might already be aware but someone is already progressing on the same concept (launcher for sideloaded XMBC) for Ouya:

http://www.progressivethink.in/on/ouya/a...cher-ouya/

I didn't know about that... hrm. Well, I've already hammered out a working version, and I'm pretty sure apps packaged for Ouya require some things added to the Android manifest, so I think I'll just roll with what I have.

Speaking of which, here it is: XBMCForFireTV XBMC On Fire

Please be kind in your criticism, as it's my first Android app. It's not pretty, but it seems to work for the most part. The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is why it's not saving your preference and automatically launching your chosen default if you have more than one version of XBMC installed. Once I get that working, I'll submit it to the Android App Store. Any input from anyone with some experience in Android development as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I'm currently using elmerohueso's splash image as the app icon. I haven't yet properly credited him for the art, but I'll do that before submitting the app.

EDIT: I changed the name of the project to be less device-specific and to avoid using any Amazon trademarks, so I've updated the link.
Nice.

You want testers I assume? Because I am guessing it won't actually put the app on the home screen when sideloaded.

But if you want us to test it via launching manually I'll give it a whirl.
(2014-05-02, 02:08)ixian Wrote: Nice.

You want testers I assume? Because I am guessing it won't actually put the app on the home screen when sideloaded.

But if you want us to test it via launching manually I'll give it a whirl.

Yes, please. And no, it won't actually do what it's designed to do until it gets accepted into the Android App Store. But I'd like to make sure that it actually works before I submit it. And again, I'm still trying to figure out the preferences issue for choosing a default version if you have more than one version of XBMC installed.
What do you think of making it something that just shows side loaded apps ( user selectable) on the home screen? Then it won't be xbmc specific and perhaps improve the odds of getting approved.
Has anyone had issues with playback on others apps after exiting XBMC. Almost every time I use XBMC and then hit the home key and try netflix or plex I can't stream anything. I have to restart just to make it work. This is my 2nd unit that is doing this. Really frustrating but I have yet to see anyone else with the same issue.
  • 140(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10