Raspberry Pi random freeze
Hello,

Since updating to xbmc 13.0 my rpi is freezing randomly when playing a movie. First the sound stops and than the rpi freezes and I have to reset the device. With xbmc 12.0 it was stable even at high OC settings.

Things I tried:
- Used a 1A power adapter (I've to try one with more amps).
- Reverted to stock settings (OC settings).
- Tried running from SD only and usb.
- Passtrough settings on and off.

Sometimes the rpi freezes after a couple of minutes and sometimes after an hour. I've played several files (720p, 1080p, DTS, Dolby and an old movie which was only stereo). I'm planning to get rid of the rpi and buy a NUC but in the meantime I want this fixed. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same issues with the NUC.

Someone have any suggestion? Thanks!
How are you playing the movie (i.e. from what source using what protocol)?
I have seen issues with UPnP playback with 13.0 on the Pi but other sharing methods seem fine.
I am sharing a folder on my computer trough SMB. I can try to play a file from an USB stick and turn upnp settings off.
Nope it just froze. I'm thinking of throwing it out the window :-(
(2014-05-16, 19:41)joepiesaus Wrote: Nope it just froze. I'm thinking of throwing it out the window :-(

What distribution? OpenELEC has just released a 4.0.1 which could fix an issue like this.
The other common cause is insufficient power supply. Check the voltage is okay:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems
I tried 4.0.1 yesterday, same problem. I'm going to use a better power supply the coming days.
It is working normally again. I'm using the same power supply as before. The only difference is my wireless keyboard is off when playing a movie. Watched hours of tv episodes without a single freeze. Thread can be closed.
(2014-05-21, 13:22)joepiesaus Wrote: It is working normally again. I'm using the same power supply as before. The only difference is my wireless keyboard is off when playing a movie. Watched hours of tv episodes without a single freeze. Thread can be closed.
Did you unplug the USB receiver for your wireless keyboard or just turn the keyboard off ?

If you unplugged the USB receiver and it now doesn't crash it can still be a power related issue - because the extra current drain of the USB receiver will cause the supply voltage to drop slightly lower. With a better power supply you might find your keyboard doesn't cause an issue. (Although be aware that not all USB keyboards are compatible with the Raspberry Pi, so it still may cause problems)
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
The keyboard (logitech K400) is still plugged in and only turned off by button. I've to do some more testing but the freezes are random so testing takes time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi random freeze0