• 67(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2014-05-20, 10:17)nickr Wrote: FSBS is the same quality as your disc and will work in XBMC.

@da-anda / afedchin

I've been meaning to clear this one up... How is XBMC currently handling Full SBS/TAB? Without frame packing / hardware based Intel Stereo, AMD HD3D, NVidia 3D Vsion, are they being scaled to Half SBS/TAB? I know they are software decoding only.

As far as I was aware, it's not poss to display Full SBS/TAB at full resolution without frame packing?

So if they are being scaled down, only advantage of encoding to Full SBS/TAB at the moment is future proofing for when frame packing arrives to XBMC?

Cheers Wink
@liquidskin76,

Yes, you are right it's not possible to display Full SBS/TAB at full resolution without frame packing due to hardware limitation. XBMC will scale Full SBS/TAB to HALF SBS/TAB.
And that is exactly the reason why I am not using SBS.
You know if you are using a passive 3D tv you are perfectly fine to display any Full 3D movie as Half TAB, since that is what the tv will do anyways. So for passive TVs there is no quality loss if you have a Full SBS/TAB movie or a Half TAB movie and watch it wih XBMC.
(2014-03-22, 20:34)Johnny569 Wrote: I'm still running some tests on the Gotham OpenGL build for Windows that I compiled. It works really well for half SBS in interlaced mode.

Info on my system and build version
Code:
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (14.0-ALPHA1 Git:20140317-33133a5). Platform: x86 Win32 32-bit
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: Using Release XBMC x32 build, compiled Mar 19 2014 by MSVC 160040219 for x86 Win32 32-bit version 0x06000000
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: Running on Windows 8 64-bit, build 9200
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: Host CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 8 cores available
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 60Hz

OpenGL renderer on Windows
Code:
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = GeForce GT 240M/PCIe/SSE2
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 3.3.0
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_GPU_MEMORY_INFO_TOTAL_AVAILABLE_MEMORY_NVX = 1048576
13:58:22 T:8232  NOTICE: GL_GPU_MEMORY_INFO_DEDICATED_VIDMEM_NVX = 1048576

Screenshot of the interlaced mode (screenshots unfortunately can't show correctly the two blended images)

No drop/skip frames at the time of taking the screenshot.

So, the Windows OpenGL build works really well for half SBS in interlaced mode. But, as expected, it doesn't work well for full SBS: stuttering and lots of drop/skip frames.

When we can expect release of interlaced feature in XBMC
(2014-05-20, 15:22)Hasu0bs Wrote: You know if you are using a passive 3D tv you are perfectly fine to display any Full 3D movie as Half TAB, since that is what the tv will do anyways. So for passive TVs there is no quality loss if you have a Full SBS/TAB movie or a Half TAB movie and watch it wih XBMC.

Was always curious if passive would half HTAB again, so you would get 270x1920! Obviously not! Wink

Cheers

(2014-05-20, 13:00)afedchin Wrote: @liquidskin76,

Yes, you are right it's not possible to display Full SBS/TAB at full resolution without frame packing due to hardware limitation. XBMC will scale Full SBS/TAB to HALF SBS/TAB.

Cheers afedchin.

So is the situation at the mo you guys are waiting on ffmpeg to implement frame packing, and won't go the route of using 'intel stereo driver / amd hd3d / NVidia 3d vision' due to not waiting to use 3rd party code?

Cheers
I thought frame packing definitely needs driver support because of the huge resolution (1920 x 2205). The waiting for ffmpeg is only for the MVC encoding of the video. If you already have a full SBS/TAB file you don't need it.
What are people using to rip/convert their 3D BD's to HSBS MKV? I've been trying DVDFab9 with mixed results. Also having some trouble getting XBMC to recognize the file even if named properly with .HSBS tags.

Ideally I want the highest HSBS resolution with untouched HD audio, chapters and subtitles even if I have to remux that all in.
HSBS and highest resolution at the same time is not possible. If you want to rip, you can choose FullSBS or FullTAB format. For 3D detection make sure you have the 3D flag set in your MKV header as XBMC will prefer those over the filename detection.
What's the latest on XBMC, ffmpeg and framepacking?
Do you mean mvc or do you mean framepacking?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Either, I thought MVC used framepacking.

I'm after playing full 3D blu-rays in their native fullscreen 3D in XBMC rather than using Stereoscopic Player.

I have an active 3D projector if that makes any difference.
(2014-05-29, 08:00)Batiatus Wrote: What are people using to rip/convert their 3D BD's to HSBS MKV? I've been trying DVDFab9 with mixed results. Also having some trouble getting XBMC to recognize the file even if named properly with .HSBS tags.

Ideally I want the highest HSBS resolution with untouched HD audio, chapters and subtitles even if I have to remux that all in.

I use DVDFab for my FSBS rips works fairly well but I have to edit the headers or remux to get the proper aspect ratio. For 3D detection you can also use the file tag 3D.sbs on your mkv files. Full Details

(2014-05-29, 13:23)T800 Wrote: What's the latest on XBMC, ffmpeg and framepacking?

I don't see how it could be supported in XBMC before vs 16 at the earliest, and I think that is rather doubtful. First it has to be supported by ffmpeg and I'm not sure anyone is putting much work into that. Then the new ffmpeg would have to be adopted by the XBMC devs which I'm sure would involve a lot of work that they can't even start on yet since there isn't a new ffmpeg. Don't see how it could all happen in less than 2 or 3 years, maybe much longer. Just my guess.Smile
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
+ framepacking requires HW driver support, which might not be a problem on Windows, but I'm not sure about the linux world
(2014-05-29, 13:31)T800 Wrote: Either, I thought MVC used framepacking.

I'm after playing full 3D blu-rays in their native fullscreen 3D in XBMC rather than using Stereoscopic Player.

I have an active 3D projector if that makes any difference.
MVC is a method of encoding 3D video on disk. It involves one eye being encoded in full (the 2D view) and the other eye being encoded as a difference between eye 2 and eye 2. This is far more efficient than storing 2 more frames.

framepacking is an output format where both frames are combined and sent to the tv/projector in a format that the tv/proj understands is 3d http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

(2014-05-29, 15:06)wgstarks Wrote:
(2014-05-29, 08:00)Batiatus Wrote: What are people using to rip/convert their 3D BD's to HSBS MKV? I've been trying DVDFab9 with mixed results. Also having some trouble getting XBMC to recognize the file even if named properly with .HSBS tags.

I use DVDFab for my FSBS rips works fairly well but I have to edit the headers or remux to get the proper aspect ratio. For 3D detection you can also use the file tag 3D.sbs on your mkv files. Full Details

(2014-05-29, 13:23)T800 Wrote: What's the latest on XBMC, ffmpeg and framepacking?

I don't see how it could be supported in XBMC before vs 16 at the earliest, and I think that is rather doubtful. First it has to be supported by ffmpeg and I'm not sure anyone is putting much work into that. Then the new ffmpeg would have to be adopted by the XBMC devs which I'm sure would involve a lot of work that they can't even start on yet since there isn't a new ffmpeg. Don't see how it could all happen in less than 2 or 3 years, maybe much longer. Just my guess.Smile
By which time the current 3D obsession may be over, if it isn't already.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11