• 182(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-19, 04:41)phigment Wrote: Anybody have any luck at all with RCB on Gotham and FireTV?

It's my first try doing this and followed instructions that were verified with Ouya, but can't get it to work. I thought maybe you can't run it over NAS... But after changing the paths to local it still didn't work. Wouldnt launch the emulator from within RCB.

Any reason why this wouldn't work on Firetv? Can't find any documentation anywhere...

I've tried it a few times. I can't get it to recognize roms that are stored on a nas.
What is the conclusion here?

Is this box any good with XBMC? Smile
The Real Skimshady
If your referring to the firetv.. I highly recommend it..
(2014-05-20, 18:41)bthusby Wrote: What is the conclusion here?

It's fine if you don't have full bit-rate MKVs ripped from BD.
Just got mine couple days back (im in The Netherlands) and very pleased with the FTV compared to my old ATV2! Plays all my vids (granted i do not have the big vc1 files or deinterlaced needed live tv).

In my experience, i have no problem with mediacodec and libstagefright both turned on, everything plays. My first question is anyone could tell me the difference between the two and what turning them on actually does?

The other one is about airplay. Is only shows me audio airplay and is not very consistant in pickin it up and playing the stuf from my iphone/ipad. Are there any fixes out there or is any one working on improving airplay?

Tx all, wiki is awesome, and all the info in this thread has been very insightfull!
AirPlay is spotty. Internet videos fling fine. Locally stored photos and 720p videos also fine. 1080p videos (like those shot with iPhone's camera, 1080p/30) nope... stutter, freeze or crash.

There are a couple of AirPlay apps that can be sideloaded to FTV, but I find their performance no better than via XBMC.

(2014-05-20, 18:56)voip-ninja Wrote:

It's fine if you don't have full bit-rate MKVs ripped from BD.
Spotty playback is more accurate. Many MKV's do work, but some don't (handful of titles so far mentioned previously in this thread). Those same titles inside M2TS play fine.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
......Pitty

The AFTV looked so good on paper Sad

I hoped it would work like a charm. What is the best option for an ATV2 / AFTV size media player right now? Any stable allround options? Or do all have their pitfalls?
The Real Skimshady

What media are you feeding it? What are you feeding it to? And what are your expectations?

For me, it is great, I can't recommend it unequivocally because there are things it does not do or does not do well. What is unimportant to me may be a deal-breaker for others.
I just want to stream movie-files from my NAS. And I want it to accept all video-files via the NFS protocol.

And also I want the Airplay to function correctly Smile
The Real Skimshady
Then, this isn't the right box for both those purposes. It's all about expectations for a $99 box not designed for XBMC. This isn't a serious home theater box with HD audio, proper 23.976, play all codecs properly, etc. It is however a good secondary all-in-one box (Netflix/Amazon + games + XBMC) with caveats.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-05-20, 19:53)bthusby Wrote: I just want to stream movie-files from my NAS. And I want it to accept all video-files via the NFS protocol.

And also I want the Airplay to function correctly Smile

I can do all of that on my Raspberry Pi's.
For me, this box is fine for 2nd and 3rd TVs. Although I am using it on my primary TV right now, if I had a proper home theatre setup with an AVR and a high end HDTV, it might not fit my need. It plays BD ISOs off a NAS just fine if they are not VC1 and plays all my DVD ISOs as well. It is also snappy and speedy in the Confluence UI skin and accesses my pay TV services like Netflix and Amazon. It replaces my PS3 for those services AND runs XBMC. If I only wanted XBMC, then I would likely choose a HTPC build specificly for that.
Assuming you have a separate media server, I think the FTV works pretty well as a primary box. My media server is connected to my main television, but I've been using my Ouya as the set-top box since it's easier for my family to use. If I could access XBMC from the FTV menu, I'd move it to the primary TV to replace the Ouya.

The FTV has played every video I've tried without any issues at all (at least that I didn't determine later were problems with the files themselves), and its only real deficiency is the lack of support for external storage. As long as you don't need more than 5.1 surround sound and have another computer to host your media library, the FTV is a great set-top box. Especially for the price and energy consumption.

EDIT: Meant to say "main television", not "main computer".
(2014-05-20, 21:39)who.is.matt Wrote: Assuming you have a separate media server, I think the FTV works pretty well as a primary box. My media server is connected to my main computer, but I've been using my Ouya as the set-top box since it's easier for my family to use. If I could access XBMC from the FTV menu, I'd move it to the primary TV to replace the Ouya.

The FTV has played every video I have without any issues at all (at least that I didn't determine later were problems with the files themselves), and it's only real deficiency is the lack of support for external storage. As long as you don't need more than 5.1 surround sound and have another computer to host your media library, the FTV is a great set-top box. Especially for the price and energy consumption.

I agree with Matt. Very nice box for normal usage. I haven't used my older ion HTPC in several weeks. YMMV.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
Dolby Digital or DTS does not work.

I installed the xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk.

My audio setting screen does not look like the instructions from the OP. Here is what they look like.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pshks1o9sv.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psrkkzozw3.jpg

Here is my set up. Amazon FireTV -> Optical Out -> Onkyo Receiver Optical In.

Amazon fire is configured to output Dolby via Optical and Video via HDMI.

When I play a file with dts, I hear a loud static hiss and some sound in the background.

Update:

I installed the xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk.

My audio setting screen does not look like the instructions in the first post. Here is what they look like.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pshks1o9sv.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psrkkzozw3.jpg

Here is my set up. Amazon FireTV -> Optical Out -> Onkyo Receiver Optical In.

When I play a file with dts, I hear a loud static hiss.

Thanks for your help!
Also, I tried using the spmc-armeabi-v7a_12.4.2.apk AND I did get a audio setting screen similar to the screenshot in instructions.

Here is what the audio settings look like.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pschbdioya.jpg

I still get a loud hiss. How did you guys get DTS to work?

Here are the details of the .mkv that I am trying to play.

*Title/Year/Language.......: The Mummy Returns/2001/English
*Genre.....................: Action,Adventure,Fantasy
*Subtitles Muxed...........: English (Foreign),English (Hearing Impaired).
*Subtitles Muxed...........: Romanian,Turkish.(Sup-PGS)
*Subtitles External........: English (Foreign),Romanian.(SubRip)
*Encoded/Profile/Level.....: 2 pass/High/Level 4.1
*Type/Codec/Writing Library: MPEG-4 AVC/H264/x264
*Container.................: Mkv
*File Size.................: 9.58 GB
*Duration..................: 2h 9mn 31sec
*Bit Rate..................: 9020 Kbps
*Bits/(Pixel*Frame)........: 0.241
*Resolution................: 1920x814 pixels
*Aspect Ratio/Frame Rate...: 2.35:1/23.976 fps
*Stream Video Size.........: 8.03 GB (84%)
*Stream Audio Size.........: 1.37 GB (14%)
*Audio/Bit Rate............: DTS/1510 Kbps
*Channel(s)/Sampling Rate..: 6 channels/48.0 KHz
*Bit depth.................: 24 bits
*Channel Positions.........: Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
*Sample Video Runtime/Size.: 38sec/60.9 MB
*Source/File Size..........: BluRay 1080p VC-1 DTS-HD MA = 31.3 GB

Thanks
  • 182(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10