• 221(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-06-17, 12:57)plainzwalker Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 12:27)Ned Scott Wrote: As far as XBMC goes, the Fire TV smashes the ATV2. Absolutely smashes it.

Will it work just like the ATV2 does with a Logitech Harmony remote? I noticed that the wiki stated it wont play VC-1 files, is there anything else that it wont play through XBMC?

Thank you

The FireTV has a bluetooth remote, so you'll either need the harmony bluetooth hub, or add an IR adapter like the flirc to the FireTV
(2014-06-17, 07:14)JDizzy Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 17:27)ktrdsl23 Wrote: Current Gotham Build - XBMC 13.0 Gotham for Android (ARM)

Current Frodo reasonably stable builds:
[Frodo 12.3 - Supports DTS and AC3 Passthrough

Helix Test Build

Is the Frodo build the only one that supports DTS and AC3 Passthrough?

Also, I am uusing MQ5 skin on Windows now... doea Fire TV have enough power to handle the more graphic skins?
Which skins seem to work?
I am using aeon mq5 and it is snappy and smooth. I see no slow down from confluence. It is just add snappy as my windows machine. The only hang up on mq5 is that the program add ons menu needs to be disabled ad there is a bug on it that freezes and crashes xbmc.
Is anyone else having trouble with no sound in certain videos? This is happening with Netflix and prime video. I am finding that it is only happening with certain titles and only on the fire tv. I can play a given title on my chromecast or my computer without issues, but fire tv does not have sound. Also, I noticed that a title available in both netflix and prime had the same result. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lalaloo...lalaloopsy

I'll also note that I tried restarting AFTV, force closing and clearing cache and data for both netflix and prime, and also uninstalling/reinstalling netflix app.

Sorry for posting this non-XBMC issue here but I know and trust this community better than anywhere else I might more appropriately find support for this issue. If anyone has a suggestion for a better forum to go to for this let me know.
(2014-06-17, 16:06)denmalley Wrote: Is anyone else having trouble with no sound in certain videos? This is happening with Netflix and prime video. I am finding that it is only happening with certain titles and only on the fire tv. I can play a given title on my chromecast or my computer without issues, but fire tv does not have sound. Also, I noticed that a title available in both netflix and prime had the same result. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lalaloo...lalaloopsy

I'll also note that I tried restarting AFTV, force closing and clearing cache and data for both netflix and prime, and also uninstalling/reinstalling netflix app.

Sorry for posting this non-XBMC issue here but I know and trust this community better than anywhere else I might more appropriately find support for this issue. If anyone has a suggestion for a better forum to go to for this let me know.

If you are passing audio via HDMI and selected DD+ audio in system settings, make sure you have a receiver capable of decoding it. Otherwise select DD via optical out in settings if your receiver can handle that or just plain stereo.
(2014-06-13, 18:52)jerndl Wrote: I am probably doing something stupid but I'm stuck. I have been using this unbranded MCE remote with my Firetv with no problems. The remote works both in the FTV menus and with XBMC. I decided to "upgrade" and use a standard MCE remote because of the button mappings. So bought this "regular" MCE remote. I plugin the new ir receiver in and power on the FireTv and no keys work with the normal FTV menus or with XBMC (13.1). I then try the new remote/receiver with a Windows XBMC system and a Chrombox using Openelec and it works just fine. I also try one of my old school MCE remotes and it doesn't work with the FTV either. Yet it works fine with both of my other XBMC systems (Windows and Openelec). Can anyone think of why the cheap unbranded remote works but neither of the 2 "regular" MCE remotes don't work at all with the FTV. Also with the older MCE remote the "talk back" led flashes when I press a button but nothing happens regardless of the key that is pressed. I do understand the unbranded remote emulates key presses and acts different than the other 2 MCE remotes. But I cant figure out why I can't get a known working MCE remote to work with the FTV. If I have read the wiki correctly it should be just plug n play. I can provide a debug log if necessary but I don't think the problem is with XBMC related since the MCE remotes don't work in the FTVs menus before I even launch XBMC. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay
Sorry to bump my post but I am really stumped. I just did a factory reset on the Firetv (thinking that this might help), unplugged the power cord, plugged in the MCE receiver, and plugged the power cord back in. Still I can't get either of the MCE remotes to work, even just using the FireTV menus. Yet they both work fine in Windows and Openelec on a Chromebox. And yet the unbranded cheap remote still works. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jay
(2014-06-17, 16:54)alpha.s Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 16:06)denmalley Wrote: Is anyone else having trouble with no sound in certain videos? This is happening with Netflix and prime video. I am finding that it is only happening with certain titles and only on the fire tv. I can play a given title on my chromecast or my computer without issues, but fire tv does not have sound. Also, I noticed that a title available in both netflix and prime had the same result. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lalaloo...lalaloopsy

If you are passing audio via HDMI and selected DD+ audio in system settings, make sure you have a receiver capable of decoding it. Otherwise select DD via optical out in settings if your receiver can handle that or just plain stereo.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home. Just to check, will the receiver say DD+ (or dolby digital +) in the manual if it supports it, or is there another name for it?
(2014-06-17, 17:26)jerndl Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 18:52)jerndl Wrote: I am probably doing something stupid but I'm stuck. I have been using this unbranded MCE remote with my Firetv with no problems. The remote works both in the FTV menus and with XBMC. I decided to "upgrade" and use a standard MCE remote because of the button mappings. So bought this "regular" MCE remote. I plugin the new ir receiver in and power on the FireTv and no keys work with the normal FTV menus or with XBMC (13.1). I then try the new remote/receiver with a Windows XBMC system and a Chrombox using Openelec and it works just fine. I also try one of my old school MCE remotes and it doesn't work with the FTV either. Yet it works fine with both of my other XBMC systems (Windows and Openelec). Can anyone think of why the cheap unbranded remote works but neither of the 2 "regular" MCE remotes don't work at all with the FTV. Also with the older MCE remote the "talk back" led flashes when I press a button but nothing happens regardless of the key that is pressed. I do understand the unbranded remote emulates key presses and acts different than the other 2 MCE remotes. But I cant figure out why I can't get a known working MCE remote to work with the FTV. If I have read the wiki correctly it should be just plug n play. I can provide a debug log if necessary but I don't think the problem is with XBMC related since the MCE remotes don't work in the FTVs menus before I even launch XBMC. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay
Sorry to bump my post but I am really stumped. I just did a factory reset on the Firetv (thinking that this might help), unplugged the power cord, plugged in the MCE receiver, and plugged the power cord back in. Still I can't get either of the MCE remotes to work, even just using the FireTV menus. Yet they both work fine in Windows and Openelec on a Chromebox. And yet the unbranded cheap remote still works. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

The reason your new remotes do not work and your old remote does(Like you said) is that the new remotes are actual mce remotes. They don't send keyboard presses. Your old remote, instead of getting certified as a rc6 mce remote it just mapped the buttons to keyboard keys that corresponds to actions in windows media center. So the firetv just thinks its a keyboard thus it works as good as one. But the newer remotes have no drivers installed. It will not work on any android system but will on linux , and windows. Try it on a mac, it wont work but the old one will. It will never work.
(2014-06-17, 18:07)denmalley Wrote: Thanks, I will try this when I get home. Just to check, will the receiver say DD+ (or dolby digital +) in the manual if it supports it, or is there another name for it?

I have a Yamaha receiver and it does say "Dolby Digital Plus" supported.
(2014-06-17, 18:09)calev Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 17:26)jerndl Wrote:

Jay

Jay

The reason your new remotes do not work and your old remote does(Like you said) is that the new remotes are actual mce remotes. They don't send keyboard presses. Your old remote, instead of getting certified as a rc6 mce remote it just mapped the buttons to keyboard keys that corresponds to actions in windows media center. So the firetv just thinks its a keyboard thus it works as good as one. But the newer remotes have no drivers installed. It will not work on any android system but will on linux , and windows. Try it on a mac, it wont work but the old one will. It will never work.
I know about the keyboard press stuff. But the xbmc firetv wiki states that "MCE (IR) remote - 2nd generation works. Turn on the Fire TV after plugging in the IR receiver and it should work." . And I have seen in other forums that it is just supposed to work without any extra drivers or anything. Is anyone able to get the "regular rc6" mce remote to work with the firetv? Thanks
(2014-06-17, 14:54)jjhtpc Wrote: I am using aeon mq5 and it is snappy and smooth. I see no slow down from confluence. It is just add snappy as my windows machine. The only hang up on mq5 is that the program add ons menu needs to be disabled ad there is a bug on it that freezes and crashes xbmc.

I had the same problem with the Amber skin. It would crash xbmc if i tried to go to the add-ons menu from Programs. I had to go back to Confluence and make the add on i wanted (xbmc Log uploader) a favorite in order to access it from Amber.

I also think i have a log from a session that was running when the "time line stuck at 0:00" problem happened. I'll go through it and see what i can find
Quote:I know about the keyboard press stuff. But the xbmc firetv wiki states that "MCE (IR) remote - 2nd generation works. Turn on the Fire TV after plugging in the IR receiver and it should work." . And I have seen in other forums that it is just supposed to work without any extra drivers or anything. Is anyone able to get the "regular rc6" mce remote to work with the firetv? Thanks

The Fire T.V wiki points to the Ortek Remote I don't know what they mean by second generation. I'm guessing the person didn't know what they were talking about when they edited the wiki. That remote is just a cheap mce remote that sends KEYBOARD presses and doesn't correspond to a generation as far as I can tell. It is not like the rosewill remote that you pointed to. or the Microsoft branded version. You wanted an answer I'm giving it to you. Those remotes won't work.

edit:Forgot the word wiki
I think this is the part of the log when i press 'up' (assigned to jump ahead 10 minutes) and the video jumps ahead for a half second and then returns to 0:00
Code:
23:13:24 T:1530422992   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnSeek from xbmc
23:13:24 T:1530422992   DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnSeek
23:13:24 T:1732784016   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_SYNCHRONIZE
23:13:24 T:1742817312   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_SYNCHRONIZE
23:13:24 T:1732784016   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(600266000.000000, 1)
23:13:24 T:1732784016    INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe left, switching to normal playback
23:13:24 T:1742817312   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(600277000.000000, 0)
23:13:24 T:1585116120   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::HandleMessages - player started 1
23:13:24 T:1585116120   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::HandleMessages - player started 2
23:13:24 T:1585116120   DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::SetCaching - caching state 0
23:13:24 T:1742817312   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:600244732.942333, should be:600277000.000000, error:32267.057667

the following error also occurs earlier in the log:
Code:
23:13:19 T:1585116120   ERROR: CDVDVideoCodecStageFright::virtual bool CDVDVideoCodecStageFright::Open(CDVDStreamInfo&, CDVDCodecOptions&) - failed to open, codec(28), profile(100), level(21)

I havent really looked at the logs before so let me know if i'm totally clueless with this. Here is a link to the full log but its kind of a mess since the library updates most of the lines: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=228662
I've noticed if you start playing a video, and try to fast forward or hit back before it starts playing, it'll mess up the fast forwarding and it'll return to 0:00 until you reset it.
I'm giving serious thought to the Amazon FireTV. I don't own any android devices yet, but I did have one question.. why does the XBMC app have to be side loaded? I thought the Android stores permitted anything in them?
(2014-06-17, 20:59)sufreak Wrote: I'm giving serious thought to the Amazon FireTV. I don't own any android devices yet, but I did have one question.. why does the XBMC app have to be side loaded?
XBMC is not in any app stores. The reasons have been discussed at length, not just in this thread.
Regardless of your Android device, you will always have to "sideload" XBMC.

(2014-06-17, 20:59)sufreak Wrote: I thought the Android stores permitted anything in them?
All app stores will have some type of regulation.
  • 221(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10