• 221(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-07-07, 23:51)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 01:04)ThaDraGun Wrote: Just looked at using windowed mode and there's no way I'm sticking with that. I would rather reset and get rid of the error every once and a while. I dont want to see the top menu bar, the outlines on the sides and taskbar all the time. Looks horrible for xbmc.

I will check out the HDMI pin 19 trick. thx
You may have misunderstood what I was referring to. In the System->Settings->System->Video Output area there is a "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" option. You shouldn't see any menu bar, outlines or taskbar, it still appears fullscreen it's just (I assume) a window that is full screen size as opposed to actually taking control of the fullscreen. In general it works/looks OK, it's only on startup that I get focus issues where the taskbar comes infront of XBMC (I have a IR code bound to Win+1 which launches XBMC using a pinned taskbar icon but if this command is received when XBMC was already open it causes it to go out of focus). Also as I mentioned, leaving the HTPC on when the AVR/TV are switched off sometimes causes resizing events where XBMC shrinks itself but then later doesn't expand itself again later (fixed by hitting the fullscreen command twice, bound to backslash key from memory).

Long story short, ive found the fake fullscreen to not be the best option but not for the reasons you've mentioned so I just wanted to clarify that it sounds like you are running it in windowed mode as opposed to using the fullscreen window I was referring to Smile

Thanks, I didnt see that option. Looks fine now. So far no memory warning issue anymore either so looks like it works! Smile
edit: nm
I can't get my NUC to sleep via MCE remote -- it starts back up automatically. Here's my setup:

D54250WYKH1
Win 8.1
Latest Gotham
Latest BIOS
XBOX 360 media remote -- 2nd generation

I read through the pertinent thread on the Intel community forum and it seemed that most people there were able to get this fixed with a recent bios update. I've also tried turning off wake on lan or resetting to default values in the BIOS without resolution of the problem. I would appreciate any additional guidance to try and get this working.
(2014-07-08, 19:15)Nellgrove Wrote: Has anyone had minor dropouts with audio passthrough on TruHd (have had none with DTSHDMA). Running openelec on the i3 with the bluray rips at 24p. Not sure if a makemkv, receiver (NR818) or openelec issue?

Yeah, I noticed that on my Star Trek bluray remux. No problems with DTS-HD here either.
(2014-07-13, 02:43)ThaDraGun Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 23:51)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 01:04)ThaDraGun Wrote: Just looked at using windowed mode and there's no way I'm sticking with that. I would rather reset and get rid of the error every once and a while. I dont want to see the top menu bar, the outlines on the sides and taskbar all the time. Looks horrible for xbmc.

I will check out the HDMI pin 19 trick. thx
You may have misunderstood what I was referring to. In the System->Settings->System->Video Output area there is a "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" option. You shouldn't see any menu bar, outlines or taskbar, it still appears fullscreen it's just (I assume) a window that is full screen size as opposed to actually taking control of the fullscreen. In general it works/looks OK, it's only on startup that I get focus issues where the taskbar comes infront of XBMC (I have a IR code bound to Win+1 which launches XBMC using a pinned taskbar icon but if this command is received when XBMC was already open it causes it to go out of focus). Also as I mentioned, leaving the HTPC on when the AVR/TV are switched off sometimes causes resizing events where XBMC shrinks itself but then later doesn't expand itself again later (fixed by hitting the fullscreen command twice, bound to backslash key from memory).

Long story short, ive found the fake fullscreen to not be the best option but not for the reasons you've mentioned so I just wanted to clarify that it sounds like you are running it in windowed mode as opposed to using the fullscreen window I was referring to Smile

Thanks, I didnt see that option. Looks fine now. So far no memory warning issue anymore either so looks like it works! Smile
Got the low memory warning again. Double checked and settings still shows display in full screen window instead of true fullscreen
Have you tried possibly looking into using XBMCbuntu and installing all the things you have installed. There are linux versions of each. I'd either try that out, or find out where you memory's going. Have you even investigated that? It may not be XBMC that's eating memory, but something definitely has a memory leak.
(2014-07-16, 23:18)pumkinut Wrote: Have you tried possibly looking into using XBMCbuntu and installing all the things you have installed. There are linux versions of each. I'd either try that out, or find out where you memory's going. Have you even investigated that? It may not be XBMC that's eating memory, but something definitely has a memory leak.
I thought if you install xbmcbuntu that's all you got was xbmc.. Nothing else. I didn't know you could run other programs too
(2014-07-17, 01:43)ThaDraGun Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 23:18)pumkinut Wrote: Have you tried possibly looking into using XBMCbuntu and installing all the things you have installed. There are linux versions of each. I'd either try that out, or find out where you memory's going. Have you even investigated that? It may not be XBMC that's eating memory, but something definitely has a memory leak.
I thought if you install xbmcbuntu that's all you got was xbmc.. Nothing else. I didn't know you could run other programs too

XBMCbuntu is effectively XBMC installed alongside Ubuntu, so you can either fire up XBMC in its own session or run an Ubuntu desktop.

OpenElec is much lighter, and a custom Linux distro designed pretty much purely for XBMC (though it includes additional services like TVHeanded backends etc.) and you don't have the option of running a desktop.
(2014-07-17, 01:43)ThaDraGun Wrote:
Even if it were just XBMC, it'd still need an operating system. Everything you currently have installed, except uTorrent, is actually a backend program that's access through a browser, so even without a window manager per se, it would still work, you would just access the other applications across your network with a web browser.
Hi, I am conciderig NUC as a my new XBMC but it have one crucial question:
Is possible to start it from remote from "turn off" (not from sleep)?
Hello!

I just read the first 150 pages of this thread (no kidding), so I got my i5 NUC (H version).
I installed XBMCbuntu, everything is working great, this thing is *fast*.

I also have a Harmony 650, which I set up in MyHarmony by setting 'Microsoft' as the manufacturer (autocompleted by MyHarmony) and 'XBMC' as the model (manually inserted by me).

I sometimes get double key presses (random, apparently: if I press 'down' it sometimes goes down 2 menu items instead of one) in XBMC, and some buttons (even the common 'Pause' button) don't work at all, so I was wondering if I set it correctly with MyHarmony.

TL;DR: How do I set my Harmony 650 for correct usage with XBMCbuntu on my i5 NUC ?
I'll continue reading the remaining 70 pages, hoping to find an answer.

Thank you!
(2014-07-18, 17:15)acegis Wrote: Hi, I am conciderig NUC as a my new XBMC but it have one crucial question:
Is possible to start it from remote from "turn off" (not from sleep)?

Yes, this works fine.
HArmony in MCE Mode?
Little mini update/status for people who are just looking at doing this and can't scan through the whole thread.

I just ordered several of the i3 Haswell NUCs (D34010WYK) for my wife's office and for a kick set one up from scratch with latest OpenElec to see how "tough" it is to get proper playback of my large collection of MKVs that are ripped straight from BD;

1. NUC did not like the "bluerigger" mini HDMI cable I ordered with it... would not get signal on my Denon X4000 AVR... using another HDMI cable cured this.

2. Update of BIOS was quite quick, all you need is the .BIO file on a USB stick and it takes just a minute.

3. Install of OE took, literally, seconds.

4. MS IR remote not working until I found instructions on OE forum for waking up USB IR and had that in startup script. All of that takes maybe 60 seconds. Once I did that remote working very very well. Not sure why OE has not modified to support this natively.

5. Sync to display SEEMS to be working, as I've played back 1+ hours of my "torture file" which is Dark Knight... high bit-rate VC1 with TrueHD audio. So far, no audio glitches and pretty good playback but lip sync might need to be adjusted on my Denon a bit.

6. Only problems so far are very minor. If my AVR is not booted when the NUC starts up it does not see that the HDMI on my Denon supports HD audio. Probably have to change boot order on the macro that starts this up. NUC boots to OE in something crazy like 5-7 seconds, so this is just probably a timing thing. Not having any of the other problems people have regarding spontaneous reboot after shutdown, etc.

7. All in all pretty nice experience. Box is tiny, quiet, IR sensitivity very good, and at first blush the media playback capabilities are impressive.

Tongue
(2014-07-18, 18:15)acegis Wrote: HArmony in MCE Mode?

I use the "power toggle" button from the Microsoft Media Center PC device with my Harmony One and it works fine for powering up/down the NUC.
  • 221(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7