• 25(current)
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas
(2014-08-06, 05:18)mag.py Wrote:
(2014-08-06, 03:27)dramaticraazrs Wrote: ... but IMHO the logo in itself is neither legible nor does it say kodi. If the letters can't be read then I guess its not legible. ...

Welcome to every logo suggestion thread ever.

Guys look at literally every memorable logo ever. Almost exactly zero of them do fancy shit with the lettering because it might make you say "ooh that's clever" if you actually know what the hell the product is in the first place, but if you don't even know the name of the product and you're reading the logo for the first time, anything that hinders legibility will leave you with a sour taste in the mouth which will linger even if the product is good.

KODI

There you go. That's the logo right there.

It is even animated. The "O" is rotating, and the "K" is growing and shrinking at a glacial speed.
(2014-08-06, 05:20)blazer380 Wrote: kodi seems like a playful name, so here is something more playful

I do like this but the reason everyone rejected this name in the first place was exactly due to its overly playful nature. Not all entertainment is "playful" and I think a lot of people feel that it's condescending to have that image branded onto the application they use to consume media which likely have vastly different styles and images. That, and the cheap plastic, child-friendly images that come to mind.

Yours strikes a nice balance though. Reminds me more of indie film studios than kids toys.
(2014-08-06, 05:49)mag.py Wrote:
(2014-08-06, 05:20)blazer380 Wrote: kodi seems like a playful name, so here is something more playful

I do like this but the reason everyone rejected this name in the first place was exactly due to its overly playful nature. Not all entertainment is "playful" and I think a lot of people feel that it's condescending to have that image branded onto the application they use to consume media which likely have vastly different styles and images. That, and the cheap plastic, child-friendly images that come to mind.

Yours strikes a nice balance though. Remind me more of indie film studios than kids toys.

To me personally media consumption falls into the entertainment category. Entertainment is playful by nature. Also since XBMC is ran mostly by programmers, those people (from experience) tend to be more laid back. So those were some of the reasons why I don't think a more playful/relaxed logo would be condescending to the brand. Just my $0.02

On a separate note, after seeing some of the other designs, the one that looks like KOK is a clever idea, but I don't think it is obvious enough for someone who has never heard of Kodi. There are some great ideas out there, but here are some challenges that designers will need to overcome:

1) Legibility - If people can't read it, then what's the point
2) Black/white version - Since kodi will be printed on t-shirts, printed material, etc, the logo needs to be able to work just in black & white. Some logos that I've seen look awesome in color, but will fail once converted to B&W
My favorites after 25 pages. In no particular order.

(2014-08-04, 18:19)aphaits Wrote: Here's one without the '1' accent on the 'i'.

This one is SUPER nerdy. But I think it fits w/ the origins of the original XBMC

(2014-08-04, 19:48)RefleX-mrl Wrote: 2nd version (Colored) on black screen:

Clean but just dynamic enough to stand out.
(2014-08-05, 18:13)uNiversal Wrote: Here's something that fell off the tree.

Kind of overbearing w/ the remote pad for the O but I like the overall design.
(2014-08-05, 18:39)mag.py Wrote: Tried adding a little logo instead of clever text manipulation. The square is split in order to represent both stop and pause, with the triangle being play.

I think this may be my absolute favorite so far. Plus the icon fits REALLY well for an app.
My two cents:

White

Dark

Block

Thin
Here's my very bad attempt. I went for the tv screen look.
Keeping it simple.....

Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Is it KODI or Kodi? Does it matter for the logo?
(2014-08-06, 10:04)lonjemoco Wrote: Is it KODI or Kodi? Does it matter for the logo?

There was a post a while back there they said it was definitely Kodi. I think most are choosing all caps because in a graphic it lends a level of symmetry.
I'd be willing to bet money at this point that the final logo will use all caps. In my opinion, it looks too good to ignore. It helps us with the weird "kid" perception that some people have by avoiding a more casual look, and visually it makes for a nicer use of space.

The current registered trademark filing is for "Kodi", but that can still protect some variations. We can claim a trademark on something right away, and that does give some protection, but a registered trademark helps seal the deal and properly document that claim, which is why there's a big brouhaha over registered trademarks. Once the logo is finalized it will also have a registered trademark filing, so no matter what we will be covered.
If we go the route of a simply logo then I like that second black one, that would work really well on paper, shirts etc.
(2014-08-06, 11:08)ximon Wrote: Image

Can't see images stored on dropbox, thank to this bloody firewall / proxy Sad

Please share your logos on imgur Wink
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas4