• 78(current)
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas
Personally an O with Play in the middle is a no no after this was brought to our attention.

We need to stay well away from anything looking similar.
(2014-09-16, 09:07)hstegeman Wrote: I am sorry too, but it's almost impossible to disagree with you much more.
In my opinion samfisher's designs are just looking good, perhaps you are defending your own designs with different usernames, but for me it's very clear the best designer of the kodi logo would be samfisher. I do also like the designs from ximon. The other designs you suggested are just too simplistic or just ugly, or still have the kok problem.

I think it's time to make a decision, I would suggest to choose a designer in stead of a design.

WOW... didn't see that one coming.
To be clear - I didn't mean that those designs I picked were finalized and ready to be used as-is. I quoted them as examples of ideas that still confer the concepts which I think would be in the logo.

Another thing: I'm not interested in starting some kind of forum-style banter, cos his thread should keep going with logo ideas, but on a personal note - I think you should promote all ideas and opinions here and not come down on people for saying their piece.
(and about the different usernames... paranoid much? Rofl)
Video 
Another logo suggestion... +x variatons!

this logo is based on simple black&white + RGB colors combined with the kodi 'k' and some BIG pixels :p
...the colors representing:
- the way we store our media (digital / binary / zeros&ones = black&white)
- the way we view our media (on screen / pixels = RGB)

feedback please Smile

sidenote: I spent more time on editing this post than I did on creating the logo so some finetuning maybe necessary
I'm a huge fan of XBMC since a couple of years back. I use it every day, to either watch movies or TV-shows from my collection.

As a graphic designer I was not particularly impressed by the logo that was originally shown for Kodi so I decides to make one myself. After a quick Google search I found this thread with more awesome concepts, so what the heck, I'll post my version here as well and maybe get some feedback.

The idea of my concept is to stay true to what XBMC really is about, movies. Unlike the original logo and many concepts here I went for a more serious look - something that to some degree resembles a film studio logo. I chose to incorporate the film strip into the logo since it's a classic item that we associate with movies. I chose to keep the blue/greenish color because I think it really works and is unique among movie services. Others mostly use red, orange, green or other colors, so this one will stand out. I kept the typography pretty clean since there's already plenty going on with the film strip and the bigger and smaller font.

Some goals that I had in mind while designing was:
  • The logo should look good on a black background. A movie program should use lots of blacks and inky colors, and so the logo must look good with them. A lot of people here seem have made just a simple logo (with no real connection to what the program is about) and then just put it on a spectacular background to make it look "fresh" and "modern". That is not how the logo will be used in real life.
  • The text must be readable. Some concepts here have taken it too far and it's hard to even discern the word Kodi.
  • It must be classy, serious, traditional but also unique. This was important because when using XBMC/Kodi you always get the feeling that this a serious project that is being developed by people with real passion for movies, so I wanted the logo to convey that.

Boot screen:

Logo:

Icon:

Icon in taskbar:
well, Kodi is not only about movies/videos - why does everybody treat the audio section as step child Wink Then, we also have pictures and (hopefully soon) retro games, ... - would be a pitty if the logo only sold it as video player.
(2014-09-18, 00:04)da-anda Wrote: well, Kodi is not only about movies/videos - why does everybody treat the audio section as step child Wink Then, we also have pictures and (hopefully soon) retro games, ... - would be a pitty if the logo only sold it as video player.

Well, I bet 90% of all people mainly use Kodi for movies. I can't image a lot people booting up a full-on media center just to listen to music or view some pictures because:
a) Music listening is often done combined with other activities which means it's often done on a tablet, a laptop, a phone etc. while browsing or working.
b) Most people don't spend more than a couple of minutes to view some photos, and they mostly do it on Facebook on their phone, tablet etc.

Movies/videos is the only one of those mediums where people care to sit down in a couch and enjoy it on the big screen (although, many are probably doing that on their portable devices now as well).

Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-09-18, 01:05)Infiniti Z Wrote: [quote='da-anda' pid='1796224' dateline='1410991483']
well, Kodi is not only about movies/videos - why does everybody treat the audio section as step child Wink Then, we also have pictures and (hopefully soon) retro games, ... - would be a pitty if the logo only sold it as video player.
[/quote

Well, I bet 90% of all people mainly use Kodi for movies. I can't image a lot people booting up a full-on media center just to listen to music or view some pictures because:
a) Music listening is often done combined with other activities which means it's often done on a tablet, a laptop, a phone etc. while browsing or working.
b) Most people don't spend more than a couple of minutes to view some photos, and they mostly do it on Facebook on their phone, tablet etc.

Movies/videos is the only one of those mediums where people care to sit down in a couch and enjoy it on the big screen (although, many are probably doing that on their portable devices now as well).

I always use losing to play back my music collection.
I use it to playback some truly terrible home made videos, youtube, and listen to music, see pictures we take. And I know and have set-up many HTPC's and indeed Music is a very central portion of all of them as is all other media types.

In fact, music is always playing in background when video is not, which makes music playback the most used feature of the lot. The only feature not used at all is PVR (other devices take care of that)
Including physical disc media which is actually the very main reason it has for existing in this household.

Now the logo, kinda repeating myself and others now, but a logo design should have to identify itself and be identifiable with the main/full project logo:

@ 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 96x96 (you cant put much in those canvas sizes without loosing detail so it has to be simple and identifiable), Then the remainder of icon sizes as some OS's/Devices take such a role in the application dissemination.
Then logos for websites/wikis which can be full wack,.
Personally I dont see any logos that make use of full word only make any lasting impression when this is taken into consideration, except for a few of samfisher's designs (not all) and a couple of others that actually lend themselves to all medium types sizes and assets.
(2014-09-17, 22:34)Infiniti Z Wrote: I'm a huge fan of XBMC since a couple of years back. I use it every day, to either watch movies or TV-shows from my collection.

As a graphic designer I was not particularly impressed by the logo that was originally shown for Kodi so I decides to make one myself. After a quick Google search I found this thread with more awesome concepts, so what the heck, I'll post my version here as well and maybe get some feedback.

The idea of my concept is to stay true to what XBMC really is about, movies. Unlike the original logo and many concepts here I went for a more serious look - something that to some degree resembles a film studio logo. I chose to incorporate the film strip into the logo since it's a classic item that we associate with movies. I chose to keep the blue/greenish color because I think it really works and is unique among movie services. Others mostly use red, orange, green or other colors, so this one will stand out. I kept the typography pretty clean since there's already plenty going on with the film strip and the bigger and smaller font.

Some goals that I had in mind while designing was:
  • The logo should look good on a black background. A movie program should use lots of blacks and inky colors, and so the logo must look good with them. A lot of people here seem have made just a simple logo (with no real connection to what the program is about) and then just put it on a spectacular background to make it look "fresh" and "modern". That is not how the logo will be used in real life.
  • The text must be readable. Some concepts here have taken it too far and it's hard to even discern the word Kodi.
  • It must be classy, serious, traditional but also unique. This was important because when using XBMC/Kodi you always get the feeling that this a serious project that is being developed by people with real passion for movies, so I wanted the logo to convey that.

Boot screen:

Logo:

Icon:

Icon in taskbar:

I'm loving the celluloid attempt. Would be great to see more of them, because it always brings up cineastic feelings Smile
(2014-09-18, 10:33)uNiversal Wrote: Personally I dont see any logos that make use of full word only make any lasting impression when this is taken into consideration.
What about:

Logo:
iOS badge:

Favicon:
Yeah i stumbled over the netflix on my atv2 yesterday too (now that it is available in germany). This logo really sucks imo.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-18, 15:24)Memphiz Wrote: Yeah i stumbled over the netflix on my atv2 yesterday too (now that it is available in germany). This logo really sucks imo.
I quite like it. It's really speaks movies and cinema. The color combination and the all-caps letters does it.
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi logo suggestions and ideas4