• 9(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Can somebody confirm that:

- 3D ISO's streaming and playback work without stuttering
- 23,976 movies work without stuttering (I read that the box can do 24fps only!?!)

Thank you!
opeters, I tested with 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' 3D and can confirm subs in front. This movie has a few forced subs for Vietnamese spoken parts.

lostinthecity, re: Miracast, haven't tried, but AirPlay works quite well for me.

Caramba69, I've only watched one 3D ISO all the way (via wired SMB) and it played fine (latest 'X-Men'). Re: 23.976 movies, VidOn doesn't support it like Mede8er X3D series does; it only does 24. I'm not as susceptible to those frame skips; every 42 seconds is it? When watching the 'X-Men' BD, I didn't find playback bothersome, but was also lost in this terrific movie (not actively looking for issues).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
It would be great if you can check this. I hate frame drops.
(2014-11-03, 14:36)Caramba69 Wrote: It would be great if you can check this. I hate frame drops.
Every 42 secs right if I remember correctly? If so, I can watch a movie for about 10mins and check.
My Family Room Theater
Yes, they say in the VidOn forum that 29,976 has problems, but they don't say anything about 23,976hz.
(2014-10-31, 02:50)hdmkv Wrote: Little update... got a new AV receiver, and relieved hd audio and 3D work via it. It's the latest Onkyo TX-NR636 with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Also has 4K, but I'm not 4K capable.

Where you able test the TRANSFORMERS:AGE OF EXTINCTION Dolby ATMOS with VidOn box/Onkyo TN-NR636 ?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
movie78, I don't have an Atmos set-up, so no. To be honest, I don't know if I want to try Atmos; seems overkill to me. Happy with 7.1.

Caramba69, I just watched 45 minutes of a 23.976 movie, and yes, frame skips are present. It isn't bad, but I can see how this might be bothersome. It's one of those things; once you start keeping your eyes out for it, you start noticing more.

The other thing I've found is VidOn isn't ideal for OTA HD watching as mpeg2 has some issues. Lip synch in some cases, and not as smooth playback overall. This is with the box set at 60Hz. Set at 24Hz, OTA mpeg2 is worse.

Also tested a couple more apps: Vevo (stutters); Red Bull TV (works fine). Oddly, neither would download via Google Play app (so had to sideload).

Bottom line, at least for me is, after using the VidOn box for almost 2 weeks now, it won't replace my Mede8er 600X3D as my dedicated home theater box, and neither my Amazon Fire TV's (I have a couple) for casual, secondary room, Internet streaming viewings. I'll hold on to it for use sometimes, and see how VidOn improves it. For those that want a cheap XBMC box with hd audio and 3D, it can't be beat for $69. I'd say just keep expectations in check and not demand perfect 23.976 playback, MVC MKV or this serving as a WMC extender (or OTA TV box). Then, you'll be happy.
My Family Room Theater
Thanks! 23.976 is critical for me. It's disappointing that this is an issue.
(2014-11-03, 20:37)hdmkv Wrote: movie78, I don't have an Atmos set-up, so no. To be honest, I don't know if I want to try Atmos; seems overkill to me. Happy with 7.1.

I am looking to purchasing the Onkyo TN-NR836 and i was wondering if you play an ATMOS media does AVR display ATMOS?
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
The question is if they can fix the 23.976hz issue?
(2014-11-05, 09:38)Caramba69 Wrote: The question is if they can fix the 23.976hz issue?

Probably not. No Allwinner SoC based player has ever supported 23.976 or 59.940.

This is a problem with most other Android players too. I'm only aware of some newer Amlogic and Telechips based ones that support it.
Good news from VidOn, at least for those of us in the initial batches that got the remote with IR issues...
Quote:The new remote is totally free now, no shipping fee anymore. Smile It will be shipped on next Wednesday.
My Family Room Theater
Placed my order..

Now I wait!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully, their shipping this time is better than what they used last time, which took way too long.
My Family Room Theater
(2014-11-05, 12:28)wizziwig Wrote:
(2014-11-05, 09:38)Caramba69 Wrote: The question is if they can fix the 23.976hz issue?

Probably not. No Allwinner SoC based player has ever supported 23.976 or 59.940.

This is a problem with most other Android players too. I'm only aware of some newer Amlogic and Telechips based ones that support it.

Is this not fixable in the settings of xbmc under video -> playback?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3