• 8(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
(2014-09-25, 18:38)ironic_monkey Wrote: if anyone who cares; i have working proof-of-concept code for SACD isos.

Great news! Could the ISO parser be used to integrate DVD-A ISOs as well?
no, this lib only handles sacd's.
been reading through the thread.. just want to make sure i have this right... right now there is no way to play SACD ISOs on the normal alpha build? how can you extract the files from the iso.. and then they do play?

I did search and ran into some nasty malware trying to find a good iso extractor for these.. would rather just get spoon fed this oneSmile
There's no way to extract the files on the fly. You can load an ISO in foobar2000 and then convert the tracks shown into any format the software supports. To extract DSDIFF files (DFF, DSF), you usually need professional audio software.
use the link i gave on the previous page. that includes an app to extract to dsf/dff files (including converting dst to dsd). though it doesn't handle the drm.
Guys,

The manual states that STR-DN840 can receive DSD via HDMI, doesn't mention whether it is DSD64 or DSD128 though. Is that's all I need to connect HTPC to receiver? I want to buy a couple of DSD albums from dsdfile to output them from my speaker set (Monitor Audio)

From the talk on this thread I see that you can't simply upload DSDIFF files to XBMC, right? Is there any workaround or any plugin available? I just want to play those files as usual as, say, mp3 files. With no unneeded hassle.

Another question would be do I need another DAC to process DSD? Or my receiver is just as capable as any other external DAC?
Thanks guy..
(2014-11-05, 10:36)Sony Wrote: Guys,

The manual states that STR-DN840 can receive DSD via HDMI, doesn't mention whether it is DSD64 or DSD128 though. Is that's all I need to connect HTPC to receiver? I want to buy a couple of DSD albums from dsdfile to output them from my speaker set (Monitor Audio)

From the talk on this thread I see that you can't simply upload DSDIFF files to XBMC, right? Is there any workaround or any plugin available? I just want to play those files as usual as, say, mp3 files. With no unneeded hassle.

Another question would be do I need another DAC to process DSD? Or my receiver is just as capable as any other external DAC?

You need the Kodi beta to play the files. I think DSDIFF will work but dsf is the best choice as it works out of the box and supports tagging. The files will be converted to hi-res PCM by Kodi because the Graphics card driver for ATI/NVIDIA/Intel do not support raw DSD output. Your receiver does support raw dsd so if the graphics drivers/hardware add support in future it would probably work (ATI and Nvidia just need to add support, they are the only link in the chain now blocking raw DSD).
(2014-11-15, 15:43)Krobar Wrote:

You need the Kodi beta to play the files. I think DSDIFF will work but dsf is the best choice as it works out of the box and supports tagging. The files will be converted to hi-res PCM by Kodi because the Graphics card driver for ATI/NVIDIA/Intel do not support raw DSD output. Your receiver does support raw dsd so if the graphics drivers/hardware add support in future it would probably work (ATI and Nvidia just need to add support, they are the only link in the chain now blocking raw DSD).
So I guess the only way to play them would be chaining HTPC and AVR via 3.5" to 2*RCA plugs. That will be DoP which is meh.
The only device which is capable of playing DSD via DLNA is OPPO BDP-103/105 as far as I know. Thanks for the input though.
(2014-11-18, 09:33)Sony Wrote: The only device which is capable of playing DSD via DLNA is OPPO BDP-103/105 as far as I know. Thanks for the input though.

My Pioneer BDP-450 can do that, great player.

(2014-11-18, 21:15)HeresJohnny Wrote:
(2014-11-18, 09:33)Sony Wrote: The only device which is capable of playing DSD via DLNA is OPPO BDP-103/105 as far as I know. Thanks for the input though.

My Pioneer BDP-450 can do that, great player.

Oops sorry, it can play ISO from attached USB and output via HDMI. No DSD over DLNA. Didn't even know that was in the specs.
(2014-11-18, 09:33)Sony Wrote:
(2014-11-15, 15:43)Krobar Wrote:

So I guess the only way to play them would be chaining HTPC and AVR via 3.5" to 2*RCA plugs. That will be DoP which is meh.
The only device which is capable of playing DSD via DLNA is OPPO BDP-103/105 as far as I know. Thanks for the input though.

Just output PCM over HDMI, the loss in quality is tiny and if you need room correction or bass management the reciever will convert to PCM even if source is DSD (In which case raw DSD is irrelevant).
Ok, so since the latest beta version (I think 2) I can playback dsf files with passthrough enabled (of course it does not passthrough dsf but DTS-HD etc.). My problem is that the music scraper does not pick up the dsf files. I have the following advancedsettings.xml file in the userdata folder so I believe it should work.

<advancedsettings>
<musicextensions>
<add>.dsf</add>
</musicextensions>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Any ideas?
Nobody? Having my SACDs not in the library is kind of annoying. Can someone confirm that Kodi can read dsf tags and add them to the music library?

Best wishes,
Jonas
it cannot.
So you guys play dsf/dff files via the "Files" menu in Kodi? Is there a way to manually add dsf files to the music library?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5