• 126(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hey everyone,

Two quick questions;

1. I configured a chromebox for a friend (standalone openelec), tested it at my place and everything works. Moved it to their place and now I can't get airplay to work... I can not figure out why it works at my place but not theirs? The only difference in hookup is that it's hardwired now as opposed to wireless. I'm guessing this isn't a chromebox or openelec issue but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!

2. Can the ASUS chromebox be used as a bluetooth speaker? I've connected my phone and I can send files but I can't seem to do anything else... has anyone come up with any cool you can do with the bluetooth connection? Big Grin

Thanks!

P.S. I've configured three boxes standalone using the script for myself and friends and they are far and away the best xbmc boxes, I can't thank you guys enough for your hard work.
airplay has always been hit or miss for me, regardless of hardware. the only thing i use the bluetooth connection for is controlling xbmc with my logitech harmony smart control remote. easily the best remote i've ever used. clicks register as fast as an mce remote while being able to control all my other devices (through IR) and no problem with repeats while holding the button down.
Hi, Im wondering if you guys here can tell me the main differences between the Hp and Asus Chromebox and which one is the better of the two.
(2014-11-16, 23:01)Rojo Wrote: Hi, Im wondering if you guys here can tell me the main differences between the Hp and Asus Chromebox and which one is the better of the two.

HP has a single RAM slot vs 2 for the Asus/Dell/Acer, as well as a inferior thermal design which leads the unit to running warmer and the fan running at higher nominal speeds, so it's louder than the others. I'd recommend the Asus personally.
(2014-11-16, 23:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-16, 23:01)Rojo Wrote: Hi, Im wondering if you guys here can tell me the main differences between the Hp and Asus Chromebox and which one is the better of the two.

HP has a single RAM slot vs 2 for the Asus/Dell/Acer, as well as a inferior thermal design which leads the unit to running warmer and the fan running at higher nominal speeds, so it's louder than the others. I'd recommend the Asus personally.

Thanks, I can get a Hp with 4gb of ram for the same price as a 2gb Asus but im unsure which to go for. The fan noise is putting me off.
(2014-11-16, 23:28)Rojo Wrote: Thanks, I can get a Hp with 4gb of ram for the same price as a 2gb Asus but im unsure which to go for. The fan noise is putting me off.

if you're going to run standalone OpenELEC, the 2GB/4GB difference is going to matter. You can always buy the HP and return it if the noise is too much - it's really going to depend on where you have the box, how close, how quiet the room, and how much load is on the CPU/GPU.
(2014-11-11, 04:39)randy37 Wrote: Hi all, thanks to this thread I have recently purchased an HP Chromebox, ran the script and managed to get Openelec and XBMC up and running. After a couple weeks my Chromebox just shut off on it's own and when I tried to power it back up I got nothing...no light, no fan, no power at all. After it sat for a couple days I was going to open it up and see if there was something obviously wrong I could fix and just for kicks I tried to power it up before tearing into it and it worked again. I left it powered on for several hours sitting on my desk not hooked to a monitor and it seemed fine but when I hooked it up to the t.v. it shut off again after a short time. This seems to be the pattern now...let it sit for a long time and it will power up but shut down on its own after a short time of watching anything. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Would this indicate a bad drive or cpu or could it be software related?

Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks.
Randy

(2014-11-11, 05:03)Matt Devo Wrote: Randy, does this happen with ChromeOS as well, or just OpenELEC? Sure sounds like a hardware issue (overheating?) to me

(2014-11-11, 05:23)randy37 Wrote:
(2014-11-11, 05:03)Matt Devo Wrote: Randy, does this happen with ChromeOS as well, or just OpenELEC? Sure sounds like a hardware issue (overheating?) to me

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response, I did a standalone install of OpenELEC. The fan runs when the unit is on, what do you think would cause the overheating? It is in a cabinet with other components but it worked that way for a couple of weeks before shutting down.

(2014-11-11, 05:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-11, 05:23)randy37 Wrote: Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response, I did a standalone install of OpenELEC. The fan runs when the unit is on, what do you think would cause the overheating? It is in a cabinet with other components but it worked that way for a couple of weeks before shutting down.

hmm, best I can suggest is to monitor the temp via the system info screen and see what it idles at when it's been sitting a while. I'd also assume if it is shutting down due to thermal issues, that there would be some evidence of such in the system log

(2014-11-11, 05:54)randy37 Wrote:
(2014-11-11, 05:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-11, 05:23)randy37 Wrote: Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response, I did a standalone install of OpenELEC. The fan runs when the unit is on, what do you think would cause the overheating? It is in a cabinet with other components but it worked that way for a couple of weeks before shutting down.

hmm, best I can suggest is to monitor the temp via the system info screen and see what it idles at when it's been sitting a while. I'd also assume if it is shutting down due to thermal issues, that there would be some evidence of such in the system log

Ok I will give that a look. Thanks again

Hi Matt, I got my box up and running again and monitored the temp while it was running and it climbed to 137 degrees before shutting off again. Do you know if there is a set temp where a shutdown would occur and what internal part would cause it to overheat? Btw the fan does run.

Thanks, Randy
(2014-11-17, 00:21)randy37 Wrote: Hi Matt, I got my box up and running again and monitored the temp while it was running and it climbed to 137 degrees before shutting off again. Do you know if there is a set temp where a shutdown would occur and what internal part would cause it to overheat? Btw the fan does run.

Thanks, Randy

that's under 60°C, so barely into the 2nd slowest fan speed. No reason it should be shutting down due to thermal load, the threshold for shutdown is 95°C. Something else is causing your issue I suspect
(2014-11-17, 00:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 00:21)randy37 Wrote: Hi Matt, I got my box up and running again and monitored the temp while it was running and it climbed to 137 degrees before shutting off again. Do you know if there is a set temp where a shutdown would occur and what internal part would cause it to overheat? Btw the fan does run.

Thanks, Randy

that's under 60°C, so barely into the 2nd slowest fan speed. No reason it should be shutting down due to thermal load, the threshold for shutdown is 95°C. Something else is causing your issue I suspect

Hmmm... this is rising above my skill level. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks again
(2014-11-17, 00:42)randy37 Wrote: Hmmm... this is rising above my skill level. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks again

how about a fresh reload of OpenELEC to rule out any software issues
(2014-11-17, 00:45)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 00:42)randy37 Wrote: Hmmm... this is rising above my skill level. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks again

how about a fresh reload of OpenELEC to rule out any software issues

Good idea, I will give it a try
Guys i just bought HP Chromebox Intel® Celeron® 2955U with Intel HD Graphics (1.4 GHz 2 MB cache 2 cores)

I have been reading Matt Devo installation and one thing i don't understand.

Can i install Standalone OpenElec on this device?

Step 5 (Press 5 to proceed with Standalone Setup – this will update the core boot Firmware(which
means that you cannot easily run ChromeOS).
This Firmware is only valid for Haswell based Asus / HP / Acer / Dell Chrome Boxes!

Is standalone only valid for Haswell?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
your HP ChromeBox uses a Haswell Celeron 2955u, it's exactly what this script is intended for. Is that not clear from the wiki?
(2014-11-17, 23:01)Matt Devo Wrote: your HP ChromeBox uses a Haswell Celeron 2955u, it's exactly what this script is intended for. Is that not clear from the wiki?

Is the name change that confused me.

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2014-11-17, 23:05)movie78 Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 23:01)Matt Devo Wrote: your HP ChromeBox uses a Haswell Celeron 2955u, it's exactly what this script is intended for. Is that not clear from the wiki?

Is the name change that confused me.

Thanks!

Haswell is the processor microarchitecture. Previous Intel ChromeBooks/Boxes have used SandyBridge/IvyBridge, newer Intel ChromeBooks currently use BayTrail. This standalone option of this script supports all the Haswell-based ChromeBoxes, regardless of CPU/GPU used (Celeron 2955u/2957u, Core i3-4010u, Core i7-4600u)
  • 126(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37