• 68(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hi Raymw

My box is situated in the cellar down several flights of stairs along with the NAS and it became a bit of a pain to have to go down and reboot it virtual every day, so the reason for the backup every is not for backup but to try and keep the box awake.

I have also thought of using this:-

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=124888

To set up nightly cron jobs to reboot the box.

But for now the backup solution seems to have done the trick.
Can someone please help.

I have an ATV 520, Linux, on Frodo and I want to upgrade to Gotham.

Which instructions should I follow?

When I try to install this file to update the image (seeing as I have Linux already)

MX_LINUX-STVMX-update20140102 .zip

I put it on the SD card, select "Apply update img"

then get a long complicated error message:
"assert failed: getprop ("ro.build.product") == "stvmx" etc etc.

So I have also tried doing a fresh install, and also get installation aborted messages.

Any suggestions please?
(2014-11-24, 02:57)AccordXTC Wrote:
(2014-11-23, 02:24)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2014-11-22, 18:59)teefer22 Wrote: Hi,

I have been running the first post version "Version 1. XDA Developers Gotham Build" flashed with this file "MX_LINUX-G02REF-update-28-06-14.zip" for quite some time. I'd like to update to the latest linux build from the first page (build 13-11-14).

Can I flash this directly overtop of my existing mx linux or should I go back to geniatech firmware first and then go to the newest mx linux build?

Yes you can
You can try this new build if you like
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/XBMC/MX_L...2J7ow&dl=1

Link is dead

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wnepllejo0m6x...4.zip?dl=1
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2014-11-23, 07:09)raymw Wrote: Thanks all for the feedback as to the heat problem. I must say it seems as though the hardware CPU temperature sensor must be overstating things as I am seeing temperatures of like 120C to 140C which normally with PC CPUs we would expect more like 70C at tops normally. Sure much better cooling in a PC case and big cpu heat-sink and fans too. But normally 140C would be frying a CPU if this temperature was correct and the PC would have locked up way before such a high temperatures..

As I say I think it is the sensor is way inaccurate surely and borne out by two sample ATV1200 boxes both running for same amount of time with similar add-ons and one shows 71C and the other 124C. Actually the cooler one was a Sumvision X2 and the other a MyGica ATV1200 but both really are the same box with different badges and both running Linux Gotham 13.2 with Auxbox's excellent 29 Oct 2014 compile, and both running with 1080i true res configured in the settings though running only SD streaming content when I took these temperatures.

A friend of mine has indeed got himself a small USB fan cooler which he places underneath his old single core Sumvision Nano Slim= box an this has a marvellous cooling effect especially here in very hot Thailand. Going to get a couple of these very cheap fan coolers one each for my ATV1200 and ATV520 boxes.

As to the freezes well thanks for the input too from Bobones. Yes I could try then disabling the boxes network shares I have permanently set up with my NAS Drives to see if that stops the freezes. You are right those freezes do not seem to occur when I am actively streaming, even with HD content, which if it were a heat problem then indeed it would be more prevalent of course at those times.

The CPU at 140 is normal for this chip when streaming. I took heat readings on the naked chip and it was 140 when streaming. If your at 1080i you should really move to 720p. Progressive will look better and if you streaming SD there no need to be at 1080i. I always take the upscale load off when streaming SD (setting it to 720p).
xbmcdoc, well I do use 1080i quite a bit with full HD content from my NAS drives and when the internet is good enough outside of peak periods I do stream 1080 content if it is available. Of course since a later version of Linux Gotham 13.1 and with all Linux Gotham 13.2 versions you do get true full 1080 HD now adn not upscaled 720. Hmm still seems incredibly hot 140C for a cpu, but of course these are not Intel or AMD cpus as we use in our PCs which all run rarely over 80C tops.

Bodgit, yes that cron timer program looks interesting. Not that I am able to help with that as do not have the skills he needs. Be interested in it when ever it does get finished and is an idiot proof and easy to use add-on with an easy GUI..

P.S. xbmcdoc I have changed my main 1200 box to 1080p from 1080i and cannot really see any difference in quality, probably as it was so bloody good already in 1080i on my 46" Samsung Series 6. I suppose you could argue theoretically progressive should be better quality than interlaced. Quite honestly I would have to put too equally set up identical TVs next to each other with the same true 1080 res source material one in i and one in p to only possibly see any comparitive differences.
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-11-25, 00:28)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2014-11-24, 02:57)AccordXTC Wrote:
(2014-11-23, 02:24)AuXBoX Wrote: Yes you can
You can try this new build if you like
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/XBMC/MX_L...2J7ow&dl=1

Link is dead

Is it possible Auxbox to list the update changes with this new compile 21/11/14 over your last major compiled release of 29/10/14 ?? All looks pretty much the same except I see the CPU temperature is no longer reported in System Info | Hardware and shows just a ? now. Also when I plug an SD card or USB stick in it pops up a contextual menu giving me 4 choices like Open Movies or Files etc.

I have een testing this new compile today and so far no freezes but been streaming most of the day as stuff I wanted to watch and wante4d to test the streamign first
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-11-25, 13:02)raymw Wrote:
(2014-11-24, 02:57)AccordXTC Wrote: Link is dead

Is it possible Auxbox to list the update changes with this new compile 21/11/14 over your last major compiled release of 29/10/14 ?? All looks pretty much the same except I see the CPU temperature is no longer reported in System Info | Hardware and shows just a ? now. Also when I plug an SD card or USB stick in it pops up a contextual menu giving me 4 choices like Open Movies or Files etc.

I have een testing this new compile today and so far no freezes but been streaming most of the day as stuff I wanted to watch and wante4d to test the streamign first

The only real change is its supposed to be able to use sdcard for userdata
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2014-11-24, 18:57)AccordXTC Wrote:
(2014-11-24, 11:29)raymw Wrote: As a separate subject here, has anyone have any clues as to when Linux KODI 13.0 builds will be fully released and compiled for our ATV1200 and 520 boxes ?? And also interested to know when we are likely to see Linux builds released and compiled for the new generation of quad core Geniatech produced boxes now being pushed with the latest Android OS bloat-ware??

Hey raymw, see my other post asking AuXBoX on a quad core box doing Linux. The Armada Mach 8 has a pure linux out of the box that is Quad core with 2GB ram. Check that unit out.

Thanks for the tips..also been looking at a quad core box as a potential replacement to my ATV1200 (sumvision X2 brand) but would rather stick to a pure linux build and this looks like it could be the one, although it only ships from the US at the moment and the thearteinabox site is listing it as out of stock.
(2014-11-25, 06:23)raymw Wrote: xbmcdoc, well I do use 1080i quite a bit with full HD content from my NAS drives and when the internet is good enough outside of peak periods I do stream 1080 content if it is available. Of course since a later version of Linux Gotham 13.1 and with all Linux Gotham 13.2 versions you do get true full 1080 HD now adn not upscaled 720. Hmm still seems incredibly hot 140C for a cpu, but of course these are not Intel or AMD cpus as we use in our PCs which all run rarely over 80C tops.

P.S. xbmcdoc I have changed my main 1200 box to 1080p from 1080i and cannot really see any difference in quality, probably as it was so bloody good already in 1080i on my 46" Samsung Series 6. I suppose you could argue theoretically progressive should be better quality than interlaced. Quite honestly I would have to put too equally set up identical TVs next to each other with the same true 1080 res source material one in i and one in p to only possibly see any comparitive differences.

As long as you are happy with the quality that is what counts. Using 1080p over 1080i mostly shows when you set the video setting to 24Hz and watch a blueray passthrough rip.
Hi guys, so i was playing for few days with my ATV400 to address the random freezing issue and after not freezing for two days when my ISP had problems with my connection and it did not freez in the meanwhile, regarding that i wanted to test something out. Because i have a LG Smart TV im running a PLEX server on my Synology NAS, there is an addon for XBMC called PLEXBMC + AMBER skin that lets you connect to PMS(PLEX SERVER), so iw set it up. Basically PMS is doing all the scrapping and the XBMC is getting all the content from the PMS doing nothing. The streaming from PMS is straight forward with no transcoding.

Right now it runs for 3 days without a glich when browsing the library or restart, and it doesen't freez in idle mode. Allso the device is running a lot cooler.

I just wanted to share this insight if someone wants to try it out.

Best regards from Croatia!!!
(2014-11-25, 18:47)macfunk Wrote:
(2014-11-24, 11:29)raymw Wrote: As a separate subject here, has anyone have any clues as to when Linux KODI 13.0 builds will be fully released and compiled for our ATV1200 and 520 boxes ?? And also interested to know when we are likely to see Linux builds released and compiled for the new generation of quad core Geniatech produced boxes now being pushed with the latest Android OS bloat-ware??

Hey raymw, see my other post asking AuXBoX on a quad core box doing Linux. The Armada Mach 8 has a pure linux out of the box that is Quad core with 2GB ram. Check that unit out.

Thanks for the tips..also been looking at a quad core box as a potential replacement to my ATV1200 (sumvision X2 brand) but would rather stick to a pure linux build and this looks like it could be the one, although it only ships from the US at the moment and the thearteinabox site is listing it as out of stock.

So if the Jynx folk have Linux XBMC 13.2 for the quad core surely builds and compiles for these new quad core Geniatech built boxes must be around the very near corner now. The ATV1800 and ATV582 boxes seem to be the equivalent to the Armada Mach 8 though only with the Android 4.4 bloat-ware OS, but I would rather have the ongoing support of the Linux XBMC/KODI builds we get here and stay in full control of my Linux XBMC OS by using the excellent compiles we get from the likes of AuxBox and Bobones for the current dual core boxes.

Must say that Armada box does look good and already sells with Pure Linux XBMC which to me is excellent and shows they realise that Linux is the way forward for streaming media boxes without all the Android bloat-ware.

So I again ask please has anyone here got any idea when we can expect the first Linux XBMC/KODI builds and compiles for these MyGica Enjoy boxes ??
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-11-24, 02:57)AccordXTC Wrote: Link is dead

Link is dead again. Could pease someone re-upload the newest build ?
(2014-11-25, 13:43)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2014-11-25, 13:02)raymw Wrote:
(2014-11-25, 00:28)AuXBoX Wrote: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wnepllejo0m6x...4.zip?dl=1

The only real change is its supposed to be able to use sdcard for userdata

Have to work out how to do that. Is it even worth it as my SD Card is a 16Gb Class 4 so probably slower than using the internal RAM as cache which I honestly have not really found as any limitation. Maybe a Class 10 is needed but they are quite a lot dearer than Class 4 which normally I find perfectly adequate for general use for backups and downloading/playback of media. Okay so maybe with using an SD card for cache I can cache the whole of an HD movie I suppose vaguely useful if I had a bad internet connection but it is good here and rarely get a problem with too small a cache.

Having a bigger cache is maybe a bit like all these new quad core media boxes, which I feel are really a bit of an overkill for normal XBMC streaming use with Linux, we will soon see. Still I suppose it gets us to spend our hard earned money and help the makers and suppliers get richer. Personally I am not one to spend money unnecessarily as it is too hard to come by.
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-11-25, 18:47)macfunk Wrote:

In stock on Amazon
(2014-11-27, 09:44)raymw Wrote: So I again ask please has anyone here got any idea when we can expect the first Linux XBMC/KODI builds and compiles for these MyGica Enjoy boxes ??

I don't know if you'll ever get Linux based Kodi for the quad core MyGica boxes unless Geniatech themselves develop it as these don't seem to be the boxes favoured by the developers who are doing the porting work.

If you look around you'll see that Stane's AMLinux and Codesnake's OpenELEC releases are all for very specific boards and it's boxes like the M8, MIII, MXQ, TV110 and others that are getting their attention.

I'm still running my Sumvision Cyclone X2 (ATV1200) with Corey's MX Linux 13.2 and it's great, but those boxes are no longer available. Recently, I've bought a few Cyclone X4s which are cheap quad core S805 (£46) and they run Kodi quite well under Android, but you definitely feel Kodi is being bogged down by Android bloat. But today, I flashed a version of OpenELEC/Kodi 14.0-beta3 ported to the TV110 by a Russian developer, Kerber, and man does this box now fly or what! This is now a serious player as a cheap, fast OpenELEC box that you can buy off the shelf from UK high street retailers.

If you want a new box that will run Linux then you probably need to change to a different brand.
  • 68(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5