Intel nuc stutter lag
(2014-11-26, 16:33)David1977 Wrote:
(2014-11-26, 13:33)dingdong555 Wrote: Is there a way to do that with accessing the files via basic samba?

Nope, not that I know of.

Use putty and SSH into your machine and then do the command above. If you never used putty or any other SSH client...You can connect via your IP-Adress from your NUC, then you will be asked for a username and a password:

user: root
password: openelec

Then use the command from above and reboot.

Here you go......all fixed.

I reinstalled windows 8 64x.....and also updated the BIOS. No lags, no excess CPU usage etc.... I think the BIOS update may have done it, as I've tried Windows 8 before...

Thanks for all your help mate, I greatly, greatly appreciate it! You have been exceptional.

Thankyou.
Switching from OpenElec to Windows 8 is not a solution for OpenElec. Maybe you found a bug...then it won´ t be fixed because you missed doing the things I wanted.

But if it works for you now...have fun with it

I presume, that you have done some strange setting in OpenElec. That's why I want a factory reset of the OE machine. You can't compare behaviours between OE and Windows 8, because different OS work different. So I don't think, that the BIOS update fixes your issue. Your issue with OpenElec isn't fixed at all, because you decided not to use it anymore. That's not a solution Wink...

You won't repair a car if you choose to buy a new one and left the other in the garage Wink
(2014-11-27, 10:53)David1977 Wrote: Switching from OpenElec to Windows 8 is not a solution for OpenElec. Maybe you found a bug...then it won´ t be fixed because you missed doing the things I wanted.

But if it works for you now...have fun with it

I presume, that you have done some strange setting in OpenElec. That's why I want a factory reset of the OE machine. You can't compare behaviours between OE and Windows 8, because different OS work different. So I don't think, that the BIOS update fixes your issue. Your issue with OpenElec isn't fixed at all, because you decided not to use it anymore. That's not a solution Wink...

You won't repair a car if you choose to buy a new one and left the other in the garage Wink

I originally had Windows 8 installed, and had the lag, I thought it was Windows 8 bloatware that was causing it, so I did a fresh install of OpenElec + XBMC.....and still had the lag. So I've switched back to a fresh copy of Windows 8.....with updating my BIOS as the difference....and it works now.
All I know off, is that OE should work like a charm on a D5****** NUC, as an i5 CPU is nearly overkill for that.

But, ok...if it works now everything is fine Wink
Enabling "Extract thumbnails" can cause Kodi to treat .bin files as archives, so Kodi spends a lot of time/CPU/memory attempting to extract data from garbage. Disable extract thumbnails and/or remove .bin files from your Kodi sources.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I just wanted to chime in on this thread to say a few things that helped me with my DCCP847DYE Celeron NUC and OpenELEC 5.0.0.

I have an SSD installed, 4GB of RAM, and am streaming raw 1080p Blu-ray rips. These files are .MKV format and come in anywhere from 25GB to 40GB depending on the movie.

Once everything was set up I noticed that my frame rate for one of these movies (Army of Darkness, 19GB) was hovering around 16-18FPS and the CPU was pegged out at 100%!

Here's what I tried (one at a time like a good scientist should):
  1. First I created an advancedsettings.xml file and loaded it up so that the buffer was much larger and filled faster. <--No fix.
  2. Streamed the same file from my desktop computer from the same source (NAS) <--Looks perfect on desktop
  3. Changed the video memory setting in the BIOS from 32MB (default) to MAX <--No fix.
  4. Updated the BIOS to gk0055.bio <--No fix.
  5. Tried a different video (should have done this first, duh) - played "Cars 2" also 1080p MKV at 25GB <-- Looked fantastic! Low CPU use, 24fps. No problems
  6. Tried a different video, "Contact" 1080p MKV at 29GB <-- High CPU, 15-18FPS. :-(
  7. Suspected that this might be an INTERLACING problem. Both of the suspect movies are older titles that would have been interlaced. Tried a few more modern movies, they look perfect.

The FIX
  1. System | Video | Acceleration - DISABLE "Prefer VDPAU Video Mixer"
  2. During Playback: Press Enter, choose "Video Settings", Change Deinterlace Method to "Bob"
  3. "Set as default for all videos"

Now the frame rate for the Army of Darkness and other interlaced titles is around 35FPS. Strange, but whatever. The CPU remains pegged at 100% on at least one core but the frame rate and playback look fine.

This worked for me. I hope it helps you. I was about to order an Intel i3 or i5 NUC to overcome this but now I think I'll stick with the cheap-o Celeron.
Bugger. Spoke too soon. The playback is improved with the above steps but it's not fixed. I tried a few other movies but I can't figure out what makes some slow/difficult to play back and others play back smoothly. I thought that it was interlacing but I may have jumped the gun.

Raw Blu-ray rips to MKV that play fine: Robocop (1987), Star Trek (2009), Cars 2, Captain America the Winter Soldier (2014), Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Edge of Tomorrow (2014), Ratatouille, Avatar, Skyfall, Apollo 13

Raw Blu-ray rips to MKV that stutter: Contact (1997), Serenity (2005), Caddyshack (1980), Army of Darkness (1992), Scarface (1983), Inception (2010).

See how they're kind of all over the map? Why would MKVs from Blu-rays play so inconsistently? I obviously don't understand something that's going on here.
More information.

I took all of the titles mentioned above and looked at the information on the files at cinemasquid.com. I was surprised to find that the CODEC used on the stuttering video files (the second list) is universally VC-1 (could not find data on Caddyshack). The files that play correctly are all MP4 AVC except for Robocop which is MPEG2. Isn't that interesting?

Is there a known problem with Intel hardware, OpenELEC, or the Celeron when playing back VC-1 files?

Aha! Yes, there is a know problem with NUCs and VC1 files. I feel like Sherlock Holmes today. Wink

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212119

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel nuc stutter lag0