Win Power Management Not kicking in if I have a Screen Saver running
I am having an issue where my monitor will not power down after 5 minutes like I have set in the settings if I have a screen saver installed (not a windows screen saver, Kodi one). My setup is Windows 7 Pro with XBMC 13.2 Gotham. I Even tried an install of Helix (fresh install) And I am getting the same issue. Now in my testing to find out what is going on. I found that if I don't set any screen saver, My Monitor will power of as planed (5 mins). But if I set any type of screen saver. My Monitor will not power off. In fact the screen saver is stopped at the planed 5 minute mark for when the monitor is meant to power off and then the screen goes back to where ever I was when the screen saver first started but there is a frame rate change of some sort. The tale tale sign is the RSS feed crawling along at slow and stuttering pace. I Have tried turning off the "Windows OS Power Management". I have tried running Kodi (or XBMC if you will) as a Administrator. This used to work fine before Gotham. So I am at a lost as how to fix it.

Here is a log file. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=356260

Hope somebody can point me to the right place to read.

Oddsodz
Just a bump in the hope somebody has an idea
as far as i can tell from the log, it's a bug in kodi.

here's what happens when the monitor tries to go into standby:

Quote:00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnDPMSActivated from xbmc
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnDPMSActivated
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager:TonguereviousWindow: Deactivate
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: started alarm with name: sssssscreensaver
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit () ------
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager:TonguereviousWindow: Activate new
00:00:34 T:5484 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------
00:00:45 T:5484 ERROR: CPythonInvoker(11, C:\Users\Peter Whyte\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\screensaver.picture.slideshow\default.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it

the problem is Kodi is expecting the screensaver to end (it starts the sssssscreensaver alarm) but it does not give an OnScreensaverDeactivated announcement.
since the screensaver only acts on OnScreensaverDeactivated announcements, it won't stop.
in the end, kodi tries to forcefully kill the screensaver, but it fails at that.

and here's what happens when your monitor gets out of standby:
Quote:00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x48, sym: 0x0111, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnDPMSDeactivated from xbmc
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnDPMSDeactivated
00:02:02 T:5484 INFO: DPMS: disabled power-saving
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverDeactivated from xbmc
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnScreensaverDeactivated
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: up (0xf080) pressed, screen saver/dpms woken up
00:02:02 T:5484 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (C:\Users\Peter Whyte\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\screensaver.picture.slideshow\resources\skins\default\720p\script-python-slideshow.xml) ------
00:02:02 T:4020 INFO: CPythonInvoker(11, C:\Users\Peter Whyte\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\screensaver.picture.slideshow\default.py): script successfully run

here you'll see an OnDPMSDeactivated announcement, followed by an OnScreensaverDeactivated announcement.
and, as expected, the screensaver exits nicely.

you should create a ticket on trac and put a link to this thread in your bugreport.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Is this related to this bug?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206927
(2014-12-01, 13:26)StinDaWg Wrote: Is this related to this bug?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206927

Not that I am aware off.

Ronie

Thanks for the break down. If you say it's a bug. It's a bug that has been in since Gotham came out. I just did not worry about it back then as I did not need to worry about my Monitor going off or not. I now do. But that's a different story...
(2014-12-02, 03:41)Oddsodz Wrote: Not that I am aware off.
Sounds like it might. Something is causing Windows power functions to not work properly. This affects the Windows screensaver too.
(2014-12-02, 07:41)StinDaWg Wrote:
(2014-12-02, 03:41)Oddsodz Wrote: Not that I am aware off.
Sounds like it might. Something is causing Windows power functions to not work properly. This affects the Windows screensaver too.

Well, I don't use the windows power saving or screen saver, I have them both off. So I don't know. Too me it makes no sense that they would have anything to do with the way Kodi controls your system if they are turned off. Like I said above, Before Gotham the above behaviour was not there. The my XBMC/Kodi would start the screen saver after 2 minutes of idle and then 5 minutes it would power down the screen.

Since Gotham I have had the above issue. Alas, Only now I am asking about how I could fix it. Should have done it ages ago.
Here is the TRAC Post

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15575
(2014-12-12, 06:17)Oddsodz Wrote: Here is the TRAC Post

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15575
Quote:Changed 2 hours ago by Martijn

Version changed from 14.0 "Helix" RC2 to 14.0 "Helix" RC3

won't be fixed any time soon i think
Confused
sorry but it was already a problem in Gotham so not a regression between Gotham/Helix. So unless it's really a minor change it won't be fixed. Also to be fixed first we have to get some dev looking at it first what's actually causing it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I don't remember it happening with Gotham.
Oh well, It's not the end of the world. It's not system breaking as such. Just means I have to choose if I want to have my monitor to turn off or stay with a screen saver. Her indoors will have to make a choice.
(2014-12-14, 23:16)Oddsodz Wrote: Oh well, It's not the end of the world. It's not system breaking as such. Just means I have to choose if I want to have my monitor to turn off or stay with a screen saver. Her indoors will have to make a choice.
It's pretty critical for me for this to work. I use a plasma with my htpc, and I need the screen saver to come on when I walk away from the tv or else I will get IR/burn in. The only way to get around this is to close XBMC after every time I use it, but sometimes I forget, and come back 20 minutes later and I've got IR that takes another 20 minutes to go away. No other program I use affects the Windows screensaver function like this.
If it's a htpc, why are you leaving XBMC minimised?
Because I do other things like browse the web the majority of the time. XBMC is probably 20-30% of daily usage. I might use XBMC 10 different times a day, so I don't see the point in closing it ever. Also by having it running in the background all of my videos will get updated instead of having to wait for it to scrape every time it starts up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power Management Not kicking in if I have a Screen Saver running1