• 8(current)
Kodi Animation thread
Here's a new version Big Grin

There's also a longer 10s version with a starting loading icon concept: LINK

And the 1080p version:
Version 1, 4s 1080p LINK
Version 2, 10s 1080p LINK
I probably won't surprise anyone by saying I was incredibly sceptical of an animated boot logo (even if my scepticism regarding the new logo isn't anywhere near as great as some have made out). But, after seeing the incredible work samfiisher has done, experiencing it in the recent Openelec nightly builds, and reading the comments about how it could be implemented in a sensible way (from my own perspective - that's something visually impressive which doesn't actually slow down the boot process, merely compliments it) I'm excited by this, The latest example is one that I would actually be excited to see on boot, and show off to others. Here's hoping it can be integrated in a similar (non-delaying-way) as on the Pi. Incredible work.
Again back zoom at end is wasting frames and time... else its even better thought the X is now even more disguised.
How is it wasting frames if it's happening at the same time as the folding?
@samfisher I think that hits it out of the park personally. Somehow manages to fulfill the goals of a little legacy nod to xbmc, but is fresh, slick, modern, and will loow pretty awesome on my new projector I suspect Smile
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Here 1080P for fun
With sound 192 kbps
I might do better.
The animation of the logo is nervous
@samfisher, that's just about perfect for me, only thing I'm not sure on is ending on a white background, as I think someone else raised with the 1st effort, a dark background may fit more with the transition to Confluence, so I wonder how it would look with all the white and black elements inverted.

It might be good idea to have both a light and dark version of whatever concept is decided on, so that people can choose the one that they think best fits the skin in use, assuming these would be user replaceable.
I still think it's too long. A slash screen is long enough, a video with sound is going to be annoying after the first load.

Actually that might be a good option - enable it for the first load after install, then disable unless the user chooses to leave it on.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-12-04, 01:58)djmisterjon Wrote: Here 1080P for fun
With sound 192 kbps
I might do better.
The animation of the logo is nervous

Love the addition of the audio. Like the idea of the video too, little rough though. And of course Kodi is misspelled.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-12-04, 02:46)Piers Wrote: I still think it's too long. A slash screen is long enough, a video with sound is going to be annoying after the first load.

Actually that might be a good option - enable it for the first load after install, then disable unless the user chooses to leave it on.

This might be a good opportunity to learn from those companies who have the millions to invest in consumer research over a ridiculous number of platforms with various performance: e.g. Microsoft. Certainly I've noticed since Windows XP (though it may have been present in earlier versions, and has been suggested in earlier posts) that the loading animation is two parts. Part 1, a general animation which brings the logo into view. Part 2, a repeatable animation which can continue as long as it takes for the actual program to load. In the case of samfishers incredible work, everything up to the unfolding of the corners could be considered part 1, the unfolding (with minor modifications to be repeatable) could be part 2. Have to say that any animation which required the part to be completed before the system loaded would go against my sensibilities (an animation is fine - nay great )- but if it actually delays me using the app in question then, well that's an issue. And goes against the guidelines provided by iOS, MacOS, Windows Phone and Windows App Store (and probably Android, though I've never looked into that...)

Every guidelines I've read suggest that any animation should be used to help indicate the application is loading, not to continue once the application is loaded (at which point the animation becomes about completing the animation, not indicating to the user that the application is still loading) - the idea is consistently to show the app as fast as possible, using any loading screens to indicate to the user that the app is loading/loaded, not to delay it in any way.
Speaking of which, I'd love some kind of rotating K for the "working"/"busy" dialog box in Kodi.
From my understanding, that would be a very different issue - as each skin provides their own textures.xbt, it's not possible for Kodi to provide a universal texture for situations where the skinner doesn't provide a busy animation. Which is not to say it's said bad idea for situations where the skinner doesn't want to provide a skin-default. (And is a good opportunity for the team to skin-overidable-universal Kodi branding, if that's something they're interested in.)
first frames of new animation remembered me the one of first xbox. when at the end appears the X.
Peppe
(2014-12-04, 05:23)Unfledged Wrote: From my understanding, that would be a very different issue - as each skin provides their own textures.xbt, it's not possible for Kodi to provide a universal texture for situations where the skinner doesn't provide a busy animation. Which is not to say it's said bad idea for situations where the skinner doesn't want to provide a skin-default. (And is a good opportunity for the team to skin-overidable-universal Kodi branding, if that's something they're interested in.)

I just mean for a default skin, which would presumably eventually replace Confluence.
Maybe this is where I'm getting confused - it takes around one -two seconds to load Kodi, from pressing the button to seeing the home screen. This is why I see no point in an animation longer than 2-3 seconds.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Animation thread8