Solved New router, suddenly always buffering.
My guess this isn't a XBMC issue, but people here might have insight.

I have a Rapberry Pi running Xbian and XBMC 11

I wasn't really happy about my setup as I had the router provided by the ISP and its wireless couldn't reach the whole house. I also wanted to move the NAS box downstairs where the fiber optic cable came into the house along with the router.

So I bought a new router. ASUS RT-N56U. To it is connected the NAS box Seagate BlackArmor 400 and then a Cat5e cable up to the living room where my Pi with XBMC is.

Now when I play a 1080p movie I have easily played before it has to constantly Buffer. I can't see that there is anything heavy going on in the network.

I had turned on QoS on the router but promptly turned it off and stopped playing on the Ps4 but still it is very slow. I'm thinking it is some setting in the router that is causing this. One other thing I changed was that I utilized both LAN ports on my NAS box (I was thinking I would use one to download into it and the other to stream from) however in my list of network devices each port seems to come in twice. So each MAC address gets applied to each IP number once.

Anyone have any insight in what might be going on here?

EDIT:

I found someone else who seems to have had the same problem.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...#pid838767

I guess I will try NFS and see if its better, but not happy if the ASUS is just worse then the other one.
Have you tried to change cable? Cat5e is nearly cat6 standard but i would give this a try and use a native cat6 cable....just for testing
(2014-12-08, 00:05)David1977 Wrote: Have you tried to change cable? Cat5e is nearly cat6 standard but i would give this a try and use a native cat6 cable....just for testing

It would be a tough time changing the cables. I could perhaps find a long cable for testing but is this really something worthwhile. Its obviously the router. It all worked fine before, now it doesn't. Another user reported same problem with the same router.

I was using SMB but I'm going to try NFS tonight and see if it makes any difference, but it still bothers me the new router seem worse than the old one, I'm thinkng it is some setting I'm not aware of.
unplug one of the LAN ports on the NAS. You must not have the same MAC twice on your LAN. In fact, there shouldn't be the same MAC on both interfaces from the beginning(unless there is some bonding going on)
(2014-12-08, 14:45)wsnipex Wrote: unplug one of the LAN ports on the NAS. You must not have the same MAC twice on your LAN. In fact, there shouldn't be the same MAC on both interfaces from the beginning(unless there is some bonding going on)

Already tried that without luck. There is a seperate MAC for each device, concurrent even. It's just how the router shows them I guess because both of them report the same hostname.

I'm pretty sure the router is at fault here. especially as I've found someone else reporting the same problem with the same router. Just tried using NFS instead of SMB and it the same problems. Smaller size episodes and movies work better with only the occasional buffering but its really a shame a ASUS router is working worse than some ISP provided crap.
Google found this: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=5693
A bit old but it seems like your NAS is misbehving. Maybe there is an update for your NAS otherwise I wold test with an extra switch between the router and the NAS as suggested in the thread I found.
(2014-12-07, 19:51)IngoVals Wrote: snip

snip

Seriously?
(2014-12-08, 20:14)uNiversal Wrote:

snip

Seriously?

In case OP doesn't understand which part was surprising, XBMC 11 was Eden, 12 was Frodo, 13 is Gotham and 14 is Helix.
The Pi never ran on XBMC 11, so I think your numbering is off. I'd hope you are on Gotham or a Helix release candidate.
Is it just the Pi affected, can you stream from the nas to other systems without issue?
Just use one port on the nas for now, unless you are watching "true hd" standard lans can support this easily.
Has everything been reset since you introduced the new router?
Have you put the ISP router into Modem mode and the connected the router correctly, or have you replaced the router completely?
can you stream from the internet (youtube) okay? ie, can you be sure its the nas, not the network, or the Pi.
bit more info on the network setup would help.
(2014-12-08, 20:23)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-12-08, 20:14)uNiversal Wrote:

snip

Seriously?

In case OP doesn't understand which part was surprising, XBMC 11 was Eden, 12 was Frodo, 13 is Gotham and 14 is Helix.
The Pi never ran on XBMC 11, so I think your numbering is off. I'd hope you are on Gotham or a Helix release candidate.

Well my numbering was off, but not by much. I have Frodo. I was in the alpha/beta stage on Xbian and there was no auto update at that stage and somehow never bothered since I always planned on getting a better HTPC.

SOLVED:

So I've found out others have had this problem, with the same router, and strangely the same NAS. One person had a solution without knowing why it worked.

It seems there is some problem between the router and the BlackArmor (I'd blame the BlackArmor, somewhat badly supported) but if you put a switch inn between them everything works fine.

Here is the relevant thread on the SmallNetBuilder forums

Thank you all for trying to help, I tried a few other forums and you where the only ones that actually made suggestions. If someone has any idea why this is happening please chime in.
No suggestion, glad you found the solution though.

If you full edit main post and mark as solved, maybe it will help yet another lost soul.
(2014-12-09, 11:35)IngoVals Wrote: Well my numbering was off, but not by much. I have Frodo. I was in the alpha/beta stage on Xbian and there was no auto update at that stage and somehow never bothered since I always planned on getting a better HTPC.

When Helix goes stable (probably a couple of weeks) try updating. Helix on the Pi is a much better HTPC than Frodo on the Pi...
(2014-12-09, 13:33)uNiversal Wrote: No suggestion, glad you found the solution though.

If you full edit main post and mark as solved, maybe it will help yet another lost soul.

I marked as solved, already, you mean I should perhaps add solution there as well?

(2014-12-09, 13:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-12-09, 11:35)IngoVals Wrote: Well my numbering was off, but not by much. I have Frodo. I was in the alpha/beta stage on Xbian and there was no auto update at that stage and somehow never bothered since I always planned on getting a better HTPC.

When Helix goes stable (probably a couple of weeks) try updating. Helix on the Pi is a much better HTPC than Frodo on the Pi...

I'm actually waiting for a gigabyte brix to set up Kodi on. I'm planning to use the pi as a torrent/sickbeard/coachpotato server, that should work won't it. I might get another pi for any secondary kodi units I might need later on (bedroom, computer room, etc.) and would of course set up the newest available version.
A solution is always good to find. Now that post is tagged as solved the search engines spiders and those that come looking should find the thread + solution.

Enjoy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New router, suddenly always buffering.0