• 71(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2014-12-11, 19:42)Kenco Wrote:
(2014-12-11, 14:13)johnro Wrote: hi guys

i have a cyclone android x2 box. i managed and put gotham 13.2 on it.

the problem i have is that i have to modify the gateway and DNS address on my wi-fi connection and i don't know how.
the router(access point) i am connecting to is not the main router and i just can't get online

also, is the LAN not working. is not connecting or getting any IP.

do i need to load more add-ons to get it configured?

i'm just learning XBMC on these boxes so don't know much about it. i looked online for about 2 weeks now with no luck on how to configure the IP's

and a major question now: can i revert back to android? the reset and power cable is not working anymore. i tried it tens of times with no luck

thanks for all your help guys

I assume you installed the Gotham build at #1 on page 1 of this thread. I'll leave others to comment on Wi-Fi but AFIK there should not be any problem with wired LAN on this build. The good news is I have successfully reverted from this build to Andriod using the STVMX_Android_Revert file from the XDA Develpers site here . Please read the readme file and follow the instructions to the letter, or else you may end up with a high tech paperweight.

As Kenco mentioned, you have to use that link as it modified the ubooter.

LAN should work you just have to make sure it is plug in before you turn it on. Modifying the DNS requires modification of XML like the old days (I think XBMC pre-Frodo).
The box should pick up the IP address via DHCP, so if it is not working then DHCP is broken on your network and you should fix that. It is irrelevant that you have an access point: DHCP should still work. You need to use the Network Manager addon to configure the wireless connection, which you can find in the programs menu.

I don't know about wired Ethernet on this box as I've never used it.

To revert to Android, download the zip file below and extract all files to an SD card and boot with the reset button pressed for 15 seconds.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z8zd6ublnp7ux...d.zip?dl=0
Make sure you wait long enough for the flash to complete

You can then reflash with a more recent Android 4.2.2 from the MyGica.ca forums.
DHCP is working fine. is picking up the IP's no problem

the only problem is that i have to change the gateway and the DNS because those are the wrong ones assigned by DHCP

i'll try the rest though

cheers
how do i manually configure the IP guys? i managed to log in as root with putty but i don't know linux Sad(((

thanks for your time
(2014-12-11, 19:50)bobones Wrote: You can then reflash with a more recent Android 4.2.2 from the MyGica.ca forums.

There is a more recent built at Mygica.com I think the site are run by the same people but I could be wrong.

http://mygica.com/download/software_rele...l_Core.zip
(2014-12-11, 21:16)johnro Wrote: how do i manually configure the IP guys? i managed to log in as root with putty but i don't know linux Sad(((

thanks for your time

This linux is a bit more restricted than full kernel linux build and missing code to be able to adjust the variables within XBMC. Additionally, The DCHP bug relates to the DCHP Resolver script either not working or not present. I think the bug was report in the first few pages of this thread. I can't remember is someone figured out a work around. Back before XBMC Frodo we used to add a interface script. See below, hopefully it will work (SSH in).

HOW-TO:Keep static IP
This is quite easy:
vi /etc/network/interfaces (After you "sudo su")
Add your IP INFO as per your configuration:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
NOTE
You can check your INTERFACE with "ifconfig". Mine is eth0 in this example.

SOURCE: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Keep_static_IP
(2014-12-11, 19:42)Kenco Wrote:

the problem i have is that i have to modify the gateway and DNS address on my wi-fi connection and i don't know how.
the router(access point) i am connecting to is not the main router and i just can't get online

i'm just learning XBMC on these boxes so don't know much about it. i looked online for about 2 weeks now with no luck on how to configure the IP's

and a major question now: can i revert back to android? the reset and power cable is not working anymore. i tried it tens of times with no luck

I assume you installed the Gotham build at #1 on page 1 of this thread. I'll leave others to comment on Wi-Fi but AFIK there should not be any problem with wired LAN on this build. The good news is I have successfully reverted from this build to Andriod using the STVMX_Android_Revert file from the XDA Develpers site here . Please read the readme file and follow the instructions to the letter, or else you may end up with a high tech paperweight.

i did managed to revert back to android. thanks for your suggestion
There should be no problem with WiFi or Wired connections with the X2 box and Linux Gotham 13.2 No need to have to go back to slow Android and all its unneeded bloat-ware. Sounds like there is something wrong with your router settings to be honest as no problem with mine or with many many other folk I know with this same box or the MyGica identical ATV1200 version. I understand why you want to get back to fast efficient and smooth streaming Linux and there should be no problem as mentioned.

Oh and we all use DHCP not static IP and that should give you no problems either if your router is set up correctly.
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-12-13, 10:29)raymw Wrote: There should be no problem with WiFi or Wired connections with the X2 box and Linux Gotham 13.2 No need to have to go back to slow Android and all its unneeded bloat-ware. Sounds like there is something wrong with your router settings to be honest as no problem with mine or with many many other folk I know with this same box or the MyGica identical ATV1200 version. I understand why you want to get back to fast efficient and smooth streaming Linux and there should be no problem as mentioned.

Oh and we all use DHCP not static IP and that should give you no problems either if your router is set up correctly.

Not everyone is on auto DHCP, that is why a limited number of users are experienced problems with the network settings. This is especially true for some users in Canada where the DNS has to be changed to a fixed DNS to bypass blocked DNS from USA streams. Sometimes reverting back to Android is best for those users even if the operating system is a lot slower.

Anyone that is still on Android and wants to get a patch to make your tv box a dedicated XBMC player with 500MB free ram by shutting down unnecessary apps and services PM me. It is about 80% of the speed of Linux but acceptable if one can't do Linux.
Yes understand xbmcdoc but surely one can configure your router to use a specific DNS and then be able to use DHCP on your LAN so your Linux box can use a DHCP assign IP from your router and thus use Linux. That way the DNS the Linux box will use is from the router and then of course now fixed to the DNS you specified in the router settings? Unless I ma missing something here which is quite possible at my old age :-o I suppose it depends on your router too as some basic ones might not have that ability but all the routers I have used you can usually specify two DNS addresses to use, but have to say I do not need to do that here normally though I have when the auto assigned local DNS servers have been crappy on the odd occasions.

Excellent to have an Android system with a load of the unnecessary bloat-ware not installed. Excellent and simple idea and 80% of Linus speed is not too shabby either, but still recommend folk just go for Linux if they can.
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-12-14, 07:41)raymw Wrote: Yes understand xbmcdoc but surely one can configure your router to use a specific DNS and then be able to use DHCP on your LAN so your Linux box can use a DHCP assign IP from your router and thus use Linux. That way the DNS the Linux box will use is from the router and then of course now fixed to the DNS you specified in the router settings? Unless I ma missing something here which is quite possible at my old age :-o I suppose it depends on your router too as some basic ones might not have that ability but all the routers I have used you can usually specify two DNS addresses to use, but have to say I do not need to do that here normally though I have when the auto assigned local DNS servers have been crappy on the odd occasions.

Excellent to have an Android system with a load of the unnecessary bloat-ware not installed. Excellent and simple idea and 80% of Linus speed is not too shabby either, but still recommend folk just go for Linux if they can.

Networks are always a headache if their not in auto mode. I use a managed L3 switch at home so I have to set the IP and domain manually on all devices that connect to it. Only way to keep track about 30 IP address which I leave static as I SSH in to them.

See my other post for manually configuring IP address and gateway.

For manually setting DNS in xbmc:
SSH in and run
PHP Code:
vi /etc/resolv.conf 
Exit by pressing "Esc" then typing
PHP Code:
:
press "enter" on your keyboard.

Now, the fun part. In "S40network" add the command to assign the DNS by
PHP Code:
vi /etc/init.d/S40network 
add DNS (I used 8.8.8.8)
PHP Code:
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf 
before /sbin/ifup -a (use "i" to insert)
should look something like this
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh              
#                      
# Start the network....
#           

case "$1" in                                        
  start
)                                            
        echo 
"Starting network..."                  

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

/sbin/ifup -a                

;;                           

stop)                              
        echo -
"Stopping network..."

/sbin/ifdown -a

;;        

restart|reload

"$0" stop 

"$0" start                           

;;                                   
  *)                                         
        echo 
"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"

exit 1
esac   

exit $? 
Next, save and exit by pressing "Esc" then typing
PHP Code:
:wq 
press "enter" on your keyboard

Time to reboot after a sync:
PHP Code:
sync 
then
PHP Code:
reboot 

This worked for me, hope it does for anyone that needs it. If that didn't make any sense let me know. I can upload a quick video.

(2014-12-12, 02:59)xbmcdoc Wrote:
(2014-12-11, 21:16)johnro Wrote: how do i manually configure the IP guys? i managed to log in as root with putty but i don't know linux Sad(((

thanks for your time

This linux is a bit more restricted than full kernel linux build and missing code to be able to adjust the variables within XBMC. Additionally, The DCHP bug relates to the DCHP Resolver script either not working or not present. I think the bug was report in the first few pages of this thread. I can't remember is someone figured out a work around. Back before XBMC Frodo we used to add a interface script. See below, hopefully it will work (SSH in).

HOW-TO:Keep static IP
This is quite easy:
vi /etc/network/interfaces (After you "sudo su")
Add your IP INFO as per your configuration:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
NOTE
You can check your INTERFACE with "ifconfig". Mine is eth0 in this example.

SOURCE: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Keep_static_IP

I confirmed this works to set IP address.
Yes indeed that is an area I used to work with as a senior comms engineer before I retired many years ago now. I have all my NAS drives and PC's here with static IP addresses of course. I find that a good way to get a fixed IP address with some devices is to also set up the router to assign a given fixed IP address via DHCP based on the MAC address of the device. This can have some advantages sometimes, though my NAS drives are indeed now hard fixed static IP addresses configured within them as that is very much needed of course, and they do work solidly and very reliably and serve HD media to my MyGica box very nicely too when needed :-).

My Linux media MyGica box uses DHCP as indeed do all the family smart phones and iPads which need to be non static as they travel around and have to use different LANS of course. .
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-12-14, 08:24)raymw Wrote: Yes indeed that is an area I used to work with as a senior comms engineer before I retired many years ago now. I have all my NAS drives and PC's here with static IP addresses of course. I find that a good way to get a fixed IP address with some devices is to also set up the router to assign a given fixed IP address via DHCP based on the MAC address of the device. This can have some advantages sometimes, though my NAS drives are indeed now hard fixed static IP addresses configured within them as that is very much needed of course, and they do work solidly and very reliably and serve HD media to my MyGica box very nicely too when needed :-).

My Linux media MyGica box uses DHCP as indeed do all the family smart phones and iPads which need to be non static as they travel around and have to use different LANS of course. .

Great. NAS is my fav way to playback. Have you tried a Plex Sever over LAN? Great way to feed multiple devices.
No not tried Plex server but do not think I need it as everything is running great here. My NAS drive is a Zyxel NSA320 GigaBit connected to my LAN with dual HD bays with 2 X 2TB drives + two USB satellite HDDs attached too, so with the USB side drives a total on the NAS of 7.5 TB for all my backups, video media and music. It also runs DLNA streaming as most NAS drives do, and which the box can easily access. I create a source in my box's XBMC settings to my appropriate NAS drive shares and/or via DLNA, Have to say I do not use NAS access for video streaming much as mainly just stream off of the various add-ons via the internet of course. I have all the video on demand I could ever want via internet streaming.

I do serve my large music collection out from the NAS Drive iTunes server as that is ideal for all users on my LAN. I also occasionally download and store on the NAS Drives content via torrents where I want a really good HD copy of a TV show normally like for example the latest and awesome X Factor final over the last weekend which really merits watching in best quality HD.

Yes indeed, and probably like you xbmcdoc, I could not contemplate life without my NAS Drives and the solid LAN system I have set up. And the NAS Drives are really very inexpensive these days and even for well specced powerful units too. Though my ZyXel NAS is relatively modest and a couple of years old now, it really performs brilliantly, is fast and does all I need of it at this time.
Cheers
Raymw
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5