• 26(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2014-12-16, 13:36)Caramba69 Wrote:
(2014-12-15, 21:23)Caramba69 Wrote:
(2014-12-15, 14:29)woronczak Wrote: This might seem like it doesn't make sense, but have a go - this might work.

In XBMC, the output of the movie seems to be the at the resolution of the actual file (as it should be - on my projector it flicks over to the 1080 24p setting and Frame Packing for my 3d Bluray Isos). However, I have no idea why, but in the settings menu if I change the resolution to something other than 1080 24p (which is the ui resolution), when I go back in to XBMC and try to play a 3d bluray iso, the file is played back in 2D (even though the resolution on the projector says 1080 24p). If I switch back to the 1080 24p setting in the main menu and then go back into XBMC, it plays back in 3d (frame packing 1080 24p)

Check to see if your UI setting is 1080 24p and if that makes it work.

The UI is set at 1080p 24p. It works with my Sony TV and when I connect the box to the Philips TV with the same setup it plays 2D only.

So I have tested another brand new high speed 0,5m HDMI cable and it still plays 2D. I also tested 1080-50p without success. The TV is a Philips 50pfl7956k and it is 3D. I have a 3D blu ray player connected which works perfect.

http://www.philips.de/c-p/50PFL7956K_02/.../ubersicht

Maybe the VidOn box is compatible with 21:9
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Quote:So I have tested another brand new high speed 0,5m HDMI cable and it still plays 2D.
I'd suggest trying a movie-only ISO rip...
  1. Pop disc into BD drive in my PC and let AnyDVD HD scan it. Leave AnyDVD HD running
  2. Open MakeMKV and scan disc, but only to find out what the right playlist is (MPLS file), then close it
  3. Now open tsMuxerGUI 2 (v.2.6.12), then drag and drop the MPLS file into it. Select the MVC and H.264 tracks for video and the DTS-MA or TrueHD track for audio, then choose Blu-ray ISO as the output. Type in a disc label (movie name), then choose ISO output location and click Start Muxing.
That's it.

The tricky part is forced subs. For this, I ask in the forums, usually here, where a spreadsheet is maintained for movies with forced subs.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-12-16, 14:31)hdmkv Wrote:
Quote:So I have tested another brand new high speed 0,5m HDMI cable and it still plays 2D.
  1. Pop disc into BD drive in my PC and let AnyDVD HD scan it. Leave AnyDVD HD running
  2. Open MakeMKV and scan disc, but only to find out what the right playlist is (MPLS file), then close it
  3. Now open tsMuxerGUI 2 (v.2.6.12), then drag and drop the MPLS file into it. Select the MVC and H.264 tracks for video and the DTS-MA or TrueHD track for audio, then choose Blu-ray ISO as the output. Type in a disc label (movie name), then choose ISO output location and click Start Muxing.
That's it.

The tricky part is forced subs. For this, I ask in the forums, usually here, where a spreadsheet is maintained for movies with forced subs.

Where can I see the MPLS file in MakeMKV? Ok. Found
(2014-12-16, 15:24)Caramba69 Wrote: [quote='hdmkv' pid='1862970' dateline='1418733111']
That's it.

OK, I have done this, but no change. Still 2d! Perhaps it's an handshake problem? Is there not such a kind of problem with some AV Receivers?
Have alook here and see if your AVR is on the list

http://forum.vidon.me/index.php?/topic/9...udio-here/
No, the box is connected to the TV directly. But it might the same issue as with the AV Receiver?
(2014-12-16, 14:27)movie78 Wrote: Maybe the VidOn box is compatible with 21:9
Do you really think so when their "skilled" developers not even managing to figure out how to edit ini files to add support for true 1080p output?

They claim that is a hardware limitation here so you should be able to guess what they will say about 21:9 output support then:

(2014-12-05, 13:51)RockerC Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 10:30)j1nx Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: It's the chipset limitation, not software limitation. If we want to support 1080p UI, we need Allwinner's help, they need to modify the code.
You see it?
@ VidOn.me-Wolly, "code" is software, not hardware. Reading all what you write I think you must be a reseller of marketing person, not a developer at all, you look to have no clue here.

(2014-12-05, 08:24)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: We designed the UI at 1080p, but due to the limitation of the chipset, it can only output at 720p, and in order to fill your whole screen, the 720p UI will be stretched to 1080p, the so called upscale. All apps will run at 720p including VidOn XBMC. That's the UI.
You're plain wrong here, as what you describe there is clearly not a chipset (hardware) limitation but a Android OS kernel or firmware image (both of which are software limitations, not hardware limitations). (As nghiadhd proved with his firmware image out, it is technically possible to hack around such software limitations like those if you are just skilled in both Android OS firmware/kernel development). Sad when none of your own 50+ developers can not even hack a few Fex (ini) files to get something as simple as this to work.

There is probably nothing wrong with the actual SoC-chipset or board-hardware in any case, instead what you are saying is that it is not be a software limitation in YOUR application software but a software limitation in the current stock Android OS kernel and firmware image from Allwinner which I guess you simply use without any modifications.

Hardware limitations means that they can't be fixed other than replacing the physical hardware, which is not the case here as all those issues could be solved in Android OS kernel or firmware image (again which is all software, not hardware). Thus if you just just had your own skilled Android OS kernel and firmware developers then they would surely be capable to either fix or at least workaround those issues without the help from Allwinner. Pivos is an example of a company that have developers that are skilled in both Android OS firmware/kernel development and application software development.

Regardless, all I hear is a bunch of excuses that Vidon do not have own developers that are skilled in Android OS firmware development, only developers working on your applications. For all Android OS firmware and kernel development you are fully dependent and under the mercy of Allwinner.

My tip to VidOn would be to hire some better Android OS firmware and kernel developers as well, that way you would not have to rely on Allwinner as much as it sounds you currently do.
(2014-12-16, 17:21)Caramba69 Wrote: No, the box is connected to the TV directly. But it might the same issue as with the AV Receiver?

Did you use the same HDMI input on the TV that you use with your BluRay player?
I guess you already tried all possible 3D settings on the TV.. you could invest in this rather expensive gadget:

http://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdfuryha...o-cart=562
I use it on my HTPC with an AMD graphics card and it works great, but no guarantee that it works in combination with the Vidon Box. It should however work.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

(2014-12-13, 12:42)Caramba69 Wrote: 3D Iso's worked connected to my Sony TV. But now I have connected the box directly to my Philips 3D TV and the ISO's are played in 2D only. What can I do?

Have you enabled the 3D function in the setting of VidOn XBMC?
Wolly, are your devs working on HDMI handshaking issues? What about adding 3D left/right eye switching via menu within VidOn XBMC? Thanks.
My Family Room Theater
(2014-12-17, 02:26)hdmkv Wrote: Wolly, are your devs working on HDMI handshaking issues? What about adding 3D left/right eye switching via menu within VidOn XBMC? Thanks.

Is request because Edge of Tomorrow?
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Yep, that, plus several other 3D Blu-ray's that have right-eye first like 'Drive Angry', 'Rio', etc.

On a different subject, I noticed VidOn changed their terms such that w/o membership, HD audio isn't included. I think 3D BD lite and HD audio should be included standard, as previously indicated. Rather, make full BD menus, mobile, etc. part of premium. I'll pay for premium just to support VidOn if this is the case. Additionally, for those who want premium, include a one-time lifetime fee/activation.
My Family Room Theater
(2014-12-17, 02:59)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, that, plus several other 3D Blu-ray's that have right-eye first like 'Drive Angry', 'Rio', etc.

On a different subject, I noticed VidOn changed their terms such that w/o membership, HD audio isn't included. I think 3D BD lite and HD audio should be included standard, as previously indicated. Rather, make full BD menus, mobile, etc. part of premium. I'll pay for premium just to support VidOn if this is the case. Additionally, for those who want premium, include a one-time lifetime fee/activation.

Drive Angry Rio and Edge of Tomorrow works without a issue on my.

SPDIF/HDMI Passthrough : Is not available for Non Subscriber

This Box will be useless after year.
(2014-12-17, 02:59)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, that, plus several other 3D Blu-ray's that have right-eye first like 'Drive Angry', 'Rio', etc.

I'd be intrigued to know how the activation of HD Audio works then. If it is via XBMC code then they have to give us the source and their system will be redundant.

If it is via some other mechanism, then meh, I dunno. Depends on the licence of that other code.

Has anyone seen the source code for the latest version that is being tested? Their gihub hasn't had any commits since September

https://github.com/vidonme/xbmc/commits/master
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-12-16, 17:21)Hedda Wrote: My tip to VidOn would be to hire some better Android OS firmware and kernel developers as well, that way you would not have to rely on Allwinner as much as it sounds you currently do.
[/quote]

It's not simple as you said. If you want to play Blu-ray Menu or HD Audio on certain chipset, you must have the support from the chipset company. It's not if you have better developers then you will solve the problems.

Chipset like Allwinner, Amlogic, RK, they all have their own technologies. We are working with them, so they provide us some special APIs for the HD video & audio output.
Because Allwinner works with us tightly and give us more help, so we can run VidOn XBMC on Allwinner's chipsets very well.

We have tested this issue again yesterday, some special movies indeed have this problem. I will push our developers to do the job.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3