• 3(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
(2014-12-20, 13:44)thent Wrote: If kodi is left at standby while showing a file listing it keeps continuously scrolling long file names from left to right, which is stressing the CPU a lot. Happened to me that the CPU temp reached almost 70°C without doing anything but just scrolling and scrolling...
Is there any way to disable scrolling at all, or even better: just keep it scrolling for let's say half a minute or overall xx times and than stop it?
This would save my Pi's lifetime a lot. ;-)
regards,
Thomas

What screensaver are you using? auto-scrolling will be disabled when the Black or Dim screensaver activates. So if you haven't enabled a screensaver, enable either Black or Dim.

And 70C is well within range for a Pi. Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Leaving Kofi on the "right" screen before turning off the tv is a workaround, not a solution, isn't it? There should not be a wrong way to turn off your tv.
Was away a few days and now updated from #1214 to #1219. Lightberry/hyperion still not working without "device_tree=" in config.txt. Did I miss something?

Code:
OpenELEC:/flash/overlays # ls -l
total 14
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           262 Dec 19 22:37 enable-spi-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           655 Dec 19 22:37 hifiberry-dac-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           783 Dec 19 22:37 hifiberry-dacplus-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           783 Dec 19 22:37 hifiberry-digi-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           775 Dec 19 22:37 iqaudio-dac-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           775 Dec 19 22:37 iqaudio-dacplus-overlay.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          1428 Dec 19 22:37 lirc-rpi-overlay.dtb

Code:
524 root       0:00 {hyperiond.sh} /bin/sh /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json
527 root       0:08 /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json
What's in your config.txt?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-12-20, 18:33)Milhouse Wrote: What's in your config.txt?
Code:
OpenELEC:/flash # cat config.txt
################################################################################
#      This file is part of OpenELEC - http://www.openelec.tv
#      Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Stephan Raue ([email protected])
#      Inspired and partly copied from:
#  http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/09/howto-raspberry-pi-openelec-on.html
#
#  OpenELEC is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  OpenELEC is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with OpenELEC.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
################################################################################
# Bootloader configuration - config.txt

# Memory (System/GPU configuration )

# default GPU memory split (do not change if you do not know what you are doing)
  gpu_mem=128

# SDRAM size based GPU memory split, uncomment and setup to override 'gpu_mem'
  gpu_mem_256=128
  gpu_mem_512=128

# Overclocking settings
# WARNING: Do not change/enable if you do not know what you are doing!
#          The System may become unstable or you can have data corruption or
#          you can loose your warranty if you set wrong settings
#
# please read: http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Overclocking_configuration

# Overclock mode settings.
#
# default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage
# no overclocking               :    700   |    250    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Modest'                 :    800   |    300    |    400     |      0
# mode 'Medium'                 :    900   |    333    |    450     |      2
# mode 'High'                   :    950   |    450    |    450     |      6
# mode 'Turbo'                  :   1000   |    500    |    500     |      6

arm_freq=950
  core_freq=450
  sdram_freq=450
  over_voltage=6

# set to 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking (you can lose your warranty!)
  force_turbo=0

# If you have any data corruption using Turbo Mode and overclocking
# try with this setting uncommented
# If this still fails, try to use Medium mode without "over_voltage=2"
# If it ultimately keeps failing, forget about this until it gets fixed
# Use a more conservative mode that will works fine in any cases:
  initial_turbo=0

# Overscan settings

# Make display smaller to stop text spilling off the screen
# see also http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15700
  overscan_scale=0
  disable_overscan=0

# Adapt overscan values to your needs
  overscan_left=0
  overscan_right=0
  overscan_top=0
  overscan_bottom=0

# various settings see also: http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off
  hdmi_force_hotplug=0

# Doesn't sent initial active source message.
# Avoids bringing CEC (enabled TV) out of standby and channel switch when
# rebooting.
  hdmi_ignore_cec_init=0

# License keys to enable GPU hardware decoding for various codecs
# to obtain keys visit the shop at http://www.raspberrypi.com

decode_MPG2=0x3d54d068
  decode_WVC1=0xd36727e6
# decode_DTS=0x00000000
# decode_DDP=0x00000000

#################
  device_tree=
#################

# End of default configuration
# all values below this line were inserted from config.txt.bk (your old config)
# and can be merged with the above values
  over_voltage_sdram=0
  hdmi_drive=2
  hdmi_force_edid_audio=0
  hdmi_pixel_encoding=0
  hdmi_ignore_hotplug=0
  sdtv_mode=0
  sdtv_aspect=1
  hdmi_ignore_cec=0
  disable_splash=0
  max_usb_current=0
So adding "device_tree_overlay=overlays/enable-spi-overlay.dtb" to config.txt does not work?
That ought to still work, but there is also a new way: add "device_tree_param=spi=on" instead.

If neither of those work, please post the output of 'vcdbg log msg'.
Thanks. I tried "device_tree_param=spi=on" first and it worked. I thought that there won't be needed any manual changes to config.txt now.
Not sure what improvements device tree support brings, but in terms of usablility this feels like a step backwards to me.
I'm sorry, but that is never going to be the case, for the reason that the Pi can't know what its pins are being used for. Sometimes you want the pins to be used for one of the built-in interfaces, and sometimes you need them for GPIO. As a result there has to be a way to give it that information. That mechanism used to be a combination of kernel CONFIG symbols and module blacklisting, and now it is device tree, which I think is an improvement because the changes can all be done through config.txt.
(2014-12-20, 19:19)gandharva Wrote: Thanks. I tried "device_tree_param=spi=on" first and it worked. I thought that there won't be needed any manual changes to config.txt now.
Not sure what improvements device tree support brings, but in terms of usablility this feels like a step backwards to me.

The issue is most people don't use spi/i2c/i2s/lirc but the modules were all enabled by default and they conflict (e.g. you can't use an i2s audio card without blacklisting lirc_rpi).
So we needed a scheme where you can opt in to these.

The longer term goal is to use the "HAT detection" pin, so external cards can identify themselves and the appropriate device tree overlay will be selected automatically.
The config.txt mechanism allows cards that don't support that to still be used.
(2014-12-20, 19:34)PhilE Wrote: I'm sorry, but that is never going to be the case, for the reason that the Pi can't know what its pins are being used for. Sometimes you want the pins to be used for one of the built-in interfaces, and sometimes you need them for GPIO. As a result there has to be a way to give it that information. That mechanism used to be a combination of kernel CONFIG symbols and module blacklisting, and now it is device tree, which I think is an improvement because the changes can all be done through config.txt.
As soon as there are GUI settings for all those overlays, I totally agree. Smile

/edit
Seems my response was too fast. Missed the post from popcornmix.
(2014-12-20, 19:38)gandharva Wrote: As soon as there are GUI settings for all those overlays, I totally agree. Smile

A good point. Leopold has an OpenELEC add-on for configuring config.txt settings.
I believe karnage is working on an updated raspbmc settings add-on.

I'll get a list of useful setting from Phil, and suggest Leopold and karnage add support.
This addon would be a perfect place. Personally I don't have problems in editing config.txt with nano, but I'm sure lots of people will be happy if they get a way to enable overlays via GUI.
New OpenELEC I****** build: #1220
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.18.0 #1 PREEMPT Sat Dec 20 21:24:08 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Dec 19 2014 18:40:20
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 5abd572e2ed1811283443387af09377b95501c50 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20141220212254-r19835-g754d8d4 [Build #1220]

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (754d8d4d, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (44533765, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock4 patches
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflicts with newclock4
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.18.y
  • Excludes the OpenELEC kodi-001-helix_rpb_backports patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from newclock4 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled (new installs only) [patch details]
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • Adapted service.openelec.settings to take advantage of PR:5217 [patch details]
  • Includes latest libnfs master (9c1d3848)
  • Includes latest libcec master (9f000e43)
  • Includes latest xbmc-pvr-addons master (89ba5bb6)
  • Includes latest xbmc-addon-xvdr master (328fa653)
  • Includes additional ffmpeg codecs/muxers enabled for testing/benchmarking purposes (see patch)
  • Includes animated splash support (patch)
  • Includes commits from libcec-2.2.0 (popcornmix)
  • Exclude lirc_rpi.conf: No longer required, let Device Tree handle lirc_rpi
  • Include patch: Enable kernel device-tree support (details)
  • Include patch: Add device tree kernel trailer
  • Include patch: Add Linux 3.18 options
  • Include patch: Add Linux 3.18 compatible cfg80211_rx_mgmt
  • Include patch: Add *.dtb files to firmware
  • Include PR:3657: [rfc] kodi crashlogs
  • Include PR:5573: webserver: improved caching control (see discussion)
  • Include PR:5747: [database] - add setting for hiding watched movies/episodes in recently added lists
  • Include PR:5752: [jsonrpc] Allow retrieving empty TV shows via VideoLibrary.GetTVShows.
  • Include PR:5958: Fix state not saved after #5842 if playing from "Recently added".
  • Include PR:5980: dvdplayer: make sure overlay container is cleared when player stops
Build Highlights:
  1. No longer load lirc_rpi module by default
  2. Fix segfault during video playlist
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • linux: Build $KERNEL_UBOOT_EXTRA_TARGET before kernel image (PR:3701, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • [addons] display a more helpful message on python script error (PR:5894, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [infomanager] added Container(id).CurrentItem (PR:5872, 1 commit, 3 files changed)
    • [mediawindow] remove unused function OnFinalizeFileItems (PR:5911, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [infomanager] container.art (PR:5923, 5 commits, 5 files changed)
    • woa - use profile path (PR:5983, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [skin] fix weather layout re-touched (8c49a696)
  3. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Exclude lirc_rpi.conf: No longer required, let Device Tree handle lirc_rpi
    • Added: PR:5980: dvdplayer: make sure overlay container is cleared when player stops
Hi Millhouse,

After update from #1219 to #1220 lircd stopped working. Tried "irw" from SSH but there wasn't any response too. I think it's related with "No longer load lirc_rpi module by default" but don't know how to configure it. Can you give me any directions?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112