• 5(current)
Android MeLE X2000 4K Quad Core H.265 3D ISO XBMC Player
(2015-01-09, 13:43)malcolmbarr Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 12:28)TrustNoOne Wrote: @malcolmbarr apart from problems with MeLE tech support which Android BOX TV would Your recommend to buy to run Kodi??

It depends on exactly what you want Kodi to do. If 3D ISO is not important to you, there are two options I would actively recommend:

1. MiniX 8-H plus (or non-plus to save a bit of money). You are paying a bit of a premium compared to other boxes, but they are providing a build of XBMC they explicitly recommend and there is an active forum to get support from. I think there are deals on the "non plus" version and the difference is basically only support for H265 hardware decoding under 4K. I got an M1 airmouse with the the MiniX box and the combination works very nicely. This Android box has digital passthrough and refresh rate switching working in their recommended Gotham build, and you can also load up SPMC if you are really keen to move on to Kodi.

2. Wetek Play. I have one of these on order and haven't received it yet. But this player has the key advantage that, beside Android, you can also boot to Openelec off an SD card - and Wetek are supplying an Openelec build for this purpose. And there are reports from users here that it runs heavy skins like Aeon Nox smoothly. You can also add a DVB tuner option to this box.

Obviously the Wetek play option is partly about side-stepping Android by using Openelec. But I am heavily influenced by seeing how well Openelec runs on both Chromebox and my own home built HTPCs. I really think that if you genuinely value a hassle free experience, you should avoid the Android boxes. Openelec on a Chromebox just works (in my experience).

If you really want 3D ISO working from XBMC (I do!!), then the situation really is still in flux. The Vidon box is cheap and they are getting there in ironing out the bugs, but other players have more potential in the hardware if they can deliver on the software through time. If you really have to have 3D from XBMC in a small device, I would probably say Vidon right now and recognise you might be buying something else in 6 months time.

First of all would like to thx for Your opinion.
Acording to MiniX 8-H plus - what about DTS HD? Is it working? I've read on Minix forum that they've got some issue with that, specially 7.1 decoding. I got all my library (music and mkv movies) on HDD with DTS and DD...It would be hooked-up to my Denon X2000 Wink

As to 3D ISO - I do not care about that feature Wink
I will do a quick test on the HD pass through on the MiniX later and report back.

Can I ask why an Android based box? Is Chromebox pricey where you are? Or is there another reason you favour the Android route?
Minix can't do HD audio bitstreaming, nor frame-packed 3D (which I do care about Wink).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
@malcolmbarr hmm...i've never thought about Chromebox.
Is it better then android BOX? Smile (noobe question) and what about Kodi? Is it possible to install it??

ps. I'm from Poland and Asus Chrombox cost here sth. about 420$ :/
Chromebox with OpenELEC is just about the best for Kodi if you don't need full 3D playback. See here.
My HT
TrustNoOne - you need to read the Kodi wiki entry on Chromebox, and then the threads here on it. Yes you can install Kodi on it, and once you have done the initial set up it runs very well indeed. It doesn't come with a remote, but I use a bluetooth PS3 remote (which controls both the box and the volume on the TV) and it works very well. Many people here think it is a great solution, although the prices of the units vary a lot depending on where you are located. They can be found relatively cheaply in the US, less so here in Europe.
Hdmkv - you are right, Minix 8-H plus cannot do HD bitstreaming, thanks for correcting me. I misremembered.

TrustNoOne - sorry I was talking rubbish! But I hope I have given you some good advice in encouraging you to look at a Chromebox...
(2015-01-09, 18:37)malcolmbarr Wrote: Hdmkv - you are right, Minix 8-H plus cannot do HD bitstreaming, thanks for correcting me. I misremembered.

TrustNoOne - sorry I was talking rubbish! But I hope I have given you some good advice in encouraging you to look at a Chromebox...

OK. No problem Smile
It's hard to decide - as always money is a problem Cool
Money problem, we can't help with, but here are your best bets for the money...

- Need Blu-ray 3D (frame-packed)? Get VidOn box for $69 (knowing something better will likely come along this year)
- Don't care for above? Get Chromebox for about $150 or so and install OpenELEC (for set-top box feel, perfect video playback, hd audio)
- Need Netflix, Amazon and other premium apps? Get Amazon Fire TV box ($80-99) or stick ($39) and install Kodi (no 3D, no hd audio)
My HT
@up as far i can see VidOn is better ten Minix Neo 8-h Plus?? Wink Of course i can be wrong about that.
Well, Minix doesn't do HD audio nor 3D, but VidOn does. While Minix does 23.976 and is a faster, more fluid box.
My HT
I have a Wetek Play on the way to me (should arrive Mon/Tue) and I will be very interested to compare running openelec on that to the Chromebox. These are priced at 99 euros with free delivery (close to 120 US Dollars).

Over here in Europe it is very hard to get a chromebox for close to the 150 US dollars they same to go for in the US. I bought mine on a short time offer from Amazon US and had it shipped to me in the UK, paying import duties, and ended up paying the equivalent of near 190US in total. Even that is cheaper than one would pay for the entry level Chromeboxes over here.

If the Wetek Play can do anything like the Chromebox on Openelec it could be a good value for money option for We Europeans. And you could treat the Android side of the box just as a hobby if you wanted to play with it....
OK what about that -> Prodigy 4K.
(2015-01-10, 13:20)TrustNoOne Wrote: OK what about that -> Prodigy 4K.
You don't want to go there. ..
Trust me. .
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-01-10, 15:14)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-01-10, 13:20)TrustNoOne Wrote: OK what about that -> Prodigy 4K.
You don't want to go there. ..
Trust me. .

Is it a crap?? Wink
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MeLE X2000 4K Quad Core H.265 3D ISO XBMC Player0