• 11(current)
Official Add-On Website- issues and suggestions
(2015-01-11, 17:58)zag Wrote: Yep already discussed and on the todo list.

its would be in a tag called <youtube></youtube> in the addon.xml I would hope.
Cool! Yes it would be nice if users could view video trailers/teasers and reviews of addons inside Kodi's Addons Manager itself.

Maybe even nicer would be if skinners could have a way to skin the Addons Manager utilizing such video links.

(2015-01-11, 17:58)zag Wrote: I actually showed off the steam pages as something I aspire to at the XBMC devcon a few years back. Something like this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273960/
That would be very nice indeed! Know that Apple's App Store have something similar too.

I think that these ones below with multiple screenshots and videos are a couple great examples of in-app store verses web:

(2015-01-11, 17:58)zag Wrote: its would be in a tag called <youtube></youtube> in the addon.xml I would hope.

Imho <video> would be better and we provide a list with supported video websites (which may be only Youtube at first). No need to add a brand into the scheme.
Hi All,

I hope it is the correct place to post this. But one thing I'd really like the Addon section to support is supporting multiple addon types. At the moment if you have multiple extension points:

Code:
    <extension point="xbmc.python.script" library="default.py">
        <provides>executable</provides>
    </extension>
    <extension point="xbmc.python.pluginsource" library="plugin.py">
        <provides>video</provides>
    </extension>
    <extension point="xbmc.ui.screensaver" library="saver.py"/>

Then it will only go into the first section. So in the above example, althought this addon is a Screensaver as well as a program (It's actually from TvTunes) it will only go into the program section. Ideally I'd love it to go into both sections, as it does provide a screensaver as well.

Is this sort of enhancement possible?

Thanks

Rob
Not sure if it's any help or not but I already use the <video_preview> and <video_guide> tags on my site. Currently it's just a link to the relevant video but I'm hopeful to get proper YT vids integrated into the webpage in the future, this is a good example. Currently there's only a handful of devs using the video tags in their addon.xml files but I have also added an override option in the database where if a video doesn't exist forum users can submit their own videos and we can update the database accordingly with any new user submitted videos regarding that addon. I agree that screenshots would be a nice addition and is something I am also currently looking into, you can check the github repo for any changes - there's not been any updates for quite a few months but hopefully I should be more active on that side of things again soon. You can find the link to the github in the above link in the credits section at the bottom of all the pages.
Thanks whufclee, please submit any PR's if you make improvements to the code.

We are opensource and willing to consider all improvements Wink

Keeping things standard like <tags> will help everyone in the future
Will do mate, I really need to read up on how to use github properly - I wasn't too bad with googlecode SVN back in the day but really seem to struggle with Github for some reason. I'm sure it's just a case of finding time to sit down and read the instructions for a few hours so that's another thing on my todo list!

I just had another thought, no idea whether or not anything like this is of any use but if you take a look at this page it explains the genre tags that we use. Just like the video tags hardly anybody uses them and I manually tagged every addon myself but they may come in handy for you. If they are of use let me know and I'll export the tags from the official Kodi addons and you can import them into your db. May save a few weeks work for someone Smile
I do not want have extra tags added to the addon.xml
You want to support for that, add it to some database where the dev can log in and put them there.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Why? I mean, it works, and it works really well. Why do something far more complicated just to achieve the same end?
(2015-01-15, 19:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Why? I mean, it works, and it works really well. Why do something far more complicated just to achieve the same end?

Every time you want to update the video or link you have to update the addon you have to update it in repo. That just plain stupid design.
Adding multiple videos in there becomes a complete mess.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yeh I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Adding extra metadata would be a huge task, but could see some nice improvements.

Seems a very very big project though, just to get a Youtube link into the site.

I'm not sure that a video would be updated all that often, or have multiple videos. Maybe we just make a rule that this is not allowed?
(2015-01-15, 19:41)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-01-15, 19:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Why? I mean, it works, and it works really well. Why do something far more complicated just to achieve the same end?

Every time you want to update the video or link you have to update the addon you have to update it in repo. That just plain stupid design.
Adding multiple videos in there becomes a complete mess.

Isn't that the same for wanting to update the description or updating the forum link? :)
(2015-01-15, 18:23)Martijn Wrote: I do not want have extra tags added to the addon.xml
You want to support for that, add it to some database where the dev can log in and put them there.
No offense but that "do it do it properly the first time or don't do it at all" approach sounds a little bit like bikeshedding to me, as it can lead to all or nothing at all.

Could it not be a good idea to just add that first to addon.xml as a POC because its simple, and only then let some who want to implement it a better way do so later?

I think that it would be sad if such video links are not added at all just because of the reason that no one wants to take on a better but more work idea right now.

Yak shaving.
well, our addon reviewers have to do the entire review process for any submitted addon update, and having to do it only because one adds a youtube link to the addon.xml doesn't sound great to me, given that it's all done in sparetime and that this time is better spent on "real" updates. Also, decoupling secondary metadata from the files might not be a bad idea in general (also for stuff like forum links etc). And if nobody would ever voice against hacks, nobody would take the lead and finally do it properly. Thing is, doing it properly is more work, but this only once, because once it's done properly more and more additions can be made much more easily. So in summary you should even save time.
It's the same like with buying cheap stuff which you very often have to buy twice because it breaks down and then end up paying way more than for the higher quality product. So can we afford to buy cheap here? It's one guy saving some time for the addon frontend implementation vs several reviewers having to spend heaps of additional times for unnecessary addon update reviews.
Can I suggest a mix of the 2 approaches.

Can we add this additional information (Videos etc) to the existing Wiki e.g.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:TvTunes

A bit like the section at the top of the wiki that is used to generate the table on the right of the page.

Add a section like:

Code:
{{AddonExtras
|Video=myvideo.avi
|Screenshot=myscreenshot.jpg
}}

Then any script can go:

Code:
Addon -> Wiki -> AddonExtras

If you sort of follow.

This saves any other DB, and users that put info on the wiki can also get extra data (Might also encourage users to write up some documentation on the wiki for their addons)

Rob
The wiki is a nice idea, but it would fragment the data too much for my liking , thats a seperate mysql db

My ultimate idea is to have simple appstore type frontend that shows all the add-ons in a friendly way over the web.

If apple/mozilla/google/steam can do it in one place, then so can we Wink
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Official Add-On Website- issues and suggestions4