• 10(current)
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?
Hi syncronized77, I installed 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD and have mine dual booting into openelec and Windows 7. I'm the process of tweaking the partition split on it but once completed I will make a video and try and link if I can work out how to do that. But from choosing the OS in the boot screen to having Kodi home menu in openelec it was less than 10 seconds, and from choosing windows on the boot screen to windows desktop it was less than 15 seconds. (this was clean install) .

I'll do some testing including playing large MKV's but I must add that I will be using openlec / Kodi for media playback so im not that botherd about kodi performance on windows as I will be using that for other stuff instead.
(2015-01-13, 19:27)Mark142 Wrote: Hi syncronized77, I installed 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD and have mine dual booting into openelec and Windows 7. I'm the process of tweaking the partition split on it but once completed I will make a video and try and link if I can work out how to do that. But from choosing the OS in the boot screen to having Kodi home menu in openelec it was less than 10 seconds, and from choosing windows on the boot screen to windows desktop it was less than 15 seconds. (this was clean install) .

I'll do some testing including playing large MKV's but I must add that I will be using openlec / Kodi for media playback so im not that botherd about kodi performance on windows as I will be using that for other stuff instead.

Thanks for this!! I desperately want to setup an XBMC box because I just can't stand the sight of my WDTV GUI!!
Oh god the wdtv my first media player. Brings back memories. Lol
(2015-01-13, 18:20)syncronized77 Wrote: Ok....I guess I can get around it by getting one of those USB IR receivers...but another question. How is the performance of this box with Windows 8.1 and XBMC? I'm planning on running a 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM with the BING version of this Zotac...if I stream a 20GB .mkv with DTS audio over CAT6 will it stutter?

Pretty sure you have to void the warranty to get to the installed 64gb SSD to remove it. The mSATA port is on the bottom of the board and there's a "warranty void if removed" tag. That's if you're plan is to swap drives.
(2015-01-13, 18:20)syncronized77 Wrote: Ok....I guess I can get around it by getting one of those USB IR receivers...but another question. How is the performance of this box with Windows 8.1 and XBMC? I'm planning on running a 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM with the BING version of this Zotac...if I stream a 20GB .mkv with DTS audio over CAT6 will it stutter?
The other option when buying the Win 8.1 version is to keep to 64GB SSD and then install a 2.5" HDD into the SATA3 connector internally. Win 8.1 is a far more resources kind OS release than anything that has come before.
Get a 2.5" Western Digital 1 TB WD Red SATA III for $70 and your laughing, the thing will be bullet proof. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Ca...wd+red+2.5

For those in the UK, seems the Barebones is now becoming available at more retailers. Not the full package as originally thought but I kept mine and it is a very capable Kodi streaming box along with 2Gb RAM and small SSD drive.

http://www.dabs.com/products/zotac-zbox-...html?src=3
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/zotac-zb...-B1G6.html
That is the one & same retailer since Dabs is owned by BT.
Does anyone know if I could turn this on/off with a remote? Thank you.
What sort of remote? It will WoL from S5 (off), so a remote application like Yatse can turn it on when it's off.
(2015-01-20, 23:19)Stereodude Wrote: What sort of remote? It will WoL from S5 (off), so a remote application like Yatse can turn it on when it's off.

I was thinking more along the lines of an IR remote using Flirc.
(2015-01-21, 00:21)Trunchisholm Wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of an IR remote using Flirc.
Oh, I haven't tried that. I wasn't able to get it to stay in suspend from OpenELEC with my wireless keyboard/mouse connected. I haven't tried my IR remote setup that I use on my Chromebox since I don't need IR control of the BI320.
(2015-01-21, 01:22)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 00:21)Trunchisholm Wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of an IR remote using Flirc.
Oh, I haven't tried that. I wasn't able to get it to stay in suspend from OpenELEC with my wireless keyboard/mouse connected. I haven't tried my IR remote setup that I use on my Chromebox since I don't need IR control of the BI320.

I really appreciate your help. Does that work with the Chromebox, though?
(2015-01-21, 01:33)Trunchisholm Wrote: I really appreciate your help. Does that work with the Chromebox, though?
Which, standby/suspend with the wireless keyboard/mouse using OpenELEC on the Chromebox? (yes) Or wake from standby/suspend via IR using OpenELEC on the Chromebox? (also yes)
(2015-01-21, 01:36)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 01:33)Trunchisholm Wrote: I really appreciate your help. Does that work with the Chromebox, though?
Which, standby/suspend with the wireless keyboard/mouse using OpenELEC on the Chromebox? (yes) Or wake from standby/suspend via IR using OpenELEC on the Chromebox? (also yes)

I was talking about the latter. Thank you for answering so quickly.
(2015-01-20, 19:44)Trunchisholm Wrote: Does anyone know if I could turn this on/off with a remote? Thank you.
I received the following from Zotac support, concerning the BI320:
Thanks for contacting ZOTAC Technical Support.

Unfortunately it's not possible to wake or turn it on via keyboard or ir remote.
However, you are able to turn on/wake by enabling Wake On Lan in the BIOS.

Regards,
Kent

ZOTAC Technical Support
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?1