[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2015-01-20, 00:24)AuXBoX Wrote: If someone could test this build out of Helix
https://mega.co.nz/#!CoQRGagC!Xl6HQ90E1X...ttNwVhw6bU

Great build AuXBoX Smile Working great.

Tested and Working:
- NFS playback
- Genesis add-on streaming
- LAN working great
- Shutdown consistent with other build (turns off screen and power but lights remain on. Reboots on Power Button calling)

Noted Improvements in Helix:
- LAN seems to communicate faster (probably cleaner driver)
- Resolver works better in Kodi Helix
(2015-01-20, 00:29)xbmcdoc Wrote:

Great build AuXBoX Smile Working great.

Tested and Working:
- NFS playback
- Genesis add-on streaming
- LAN working great
- Shutdown consistent with other build (turns off screen and power but lights remain on. Reboots on Power Button calling)

Noted Improvements in Helix:
- LAN seems to communicate faster (probably cleaner driver)
- Resolver works better in Kodi Helix

Thanks For the feedback xbmcdoc.
What did you test it on?
Press THANK USER if I Help
Brilliant AuxBox, many thanks mate. :-) Have to say I was not expecting this yet so you have put a big smile on my face today.

Installed in on my ATV1200 box and seems to be working great and seems very snappy so far, though not had time to test it much yet. Just been installing my usual set of add-ons for my Basic Set up and other than iStreams which seems to be not available all seems solid. Not tested it with my LAN yet but will do over the next day or two.

No problem with the shutdown either as I simply do the same I had to do with Gotham 13.2 and overwrite the remote conf file with one I keep for the ATV1200 supplied remote and that gives me the usual three part menu choice when I hit the red button.

One problem that I am sure you are aware of is that when it boots up it still shows the XBMC Loading screen and then the Gotham 13.2 one briefly so of course this needs suitable and attractive KODI screens if possible.

Will give you more feedback when I can. One question still got to try it with a ATV520 box to see if the Broadcom WiFi issues has been fixed yet ?? Also need to test it with my Denon Home Theatre pass-through audio which would not auto switch to digital pass-through sound with Gotham as I said some while ago and had to manually force the Denon X500 to switch when it would then work fine
Cheers
Raymw
Ah hit a fairly important problem with this compile. We seem to have gone back to the upscaled 720 resolution when set to 1080i. I tried the test grid screen video which proved it was no longer true full 1080 HD as we had with Gotham 13.2.
Cheers
Raymw

My ATV1220 working great with your build, can you please add support dvb driver and install tvheadend, this will be great for users with G02REF devices includes DVB-T tunner

Seems to be working great on a Sumvision X2 seems smother and faster, been using Frodo 12.3 on all my boxes (6) because of the lockups when left idle on the Gotham builds.

Will try this build for a few days and hope the lockup problems have gone.

Thank you.
(2015-01-20, 11:14)AuXBoX Wrote: Thanks For the feedback xbmcdoc.
What did you test it on?

ATV520

(2015-01-20, 14:23)raymw Wrote: Ah hit a fairly important problem with this compile. We seem to have gone back to the upscaled 720 resolution when set to 1080i. I tried the test grid screen video which proved it was no longer true full 1080 HD as we had with Gotham 13.2.

I noticed this too but I don't think this Helix build is in 720P upscale. From what I can tell Helix codec opens the test grid screen video in 720P instead of 1080p. MKV files play and state that their on 1080p. I did a side-by-side comparison with a Amlogic S802 in 1080p and the movie playback is identical. In 720P upscale playback the video aspect ratio was different . Also, when you changed the video setting from Normal to Original the screen would change to a more zoom-in picture, which is not the case in Helix.

I will continue testing to see if anything changes.
(2015-01-20, 14:23)raymw Wrote: Ah hit a fairly important problem with this compile. We seem to have gone back to the upscaled 720 resolution when set to 1080i. I tried the test grid screen video which proved it was no longer true full 1080 HD as we had with Gotham 13.2.

Yes. This build of helix do not support true 1920x1080 resolution .
Mike77 are you saying that from some information you have seen, or from your own observations as I did??

xbmcdoc I cannot see how the 1080 content form the test grid video can not be recognised as 1080 res to be honest. Sure unless you look very close at the screen on most <50" screens I do not think you can see a lot of difference form the normal 2.5 to 3 metre viewing distance, except maybe when you get a lot of tiny text like at the film end with the credits scrolling or maybe fine textured clothing. So sure can use for now for testing everything else with the 720 up-scaling. Certainly seems smoother and snappier, and so far no lock-ups. Early days yet but have to say I have not noticed any major obvious other changes to what we had with Gotham 13.2 but may do when I delve in deeper of course.

Will try and test it with an ATV520 box later today if I get time to see if the Broadcom WiFi issue has been fixed with this Helix build, or as most likely still not.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-01-21, 08:02)raymw Wrote: Mike77 are you saying that from some information you have seen, or from your own observations as I did??

xbmcdoc I cannot see how the 1080 content form the test grid video can not be recognised as 1080 res to be honest. Sure unless you look very close at the screen on most <50" screens I do not think you can see a lot of difference form the normal 2.5 to 3 metre viewing distance, except maybe when you get a lot of tiny text like at the film end with the credits scrolling or maybe fine textured clothing. So sure can use for now for testing everything else with the 720 up-scaling. Certainly seems smoother and snappier, and so far no lock-ups. Early days yet but have to say I have not noticed any major obvious other changes to what we had with Gotham 13.2 but may do when I delve in deeper of course.

Will try and test it with an ATV520 box later today if I get time to see if the Broadcom WiFi issue has been fixed with this Helix build, or as most likely still not.

At one time I had a build that would not play certain files correctly. As for the Helix build I can confirm it is 720P upscale. I created a new 1080P file just to make sure. Below are the test files just anyone needs a copy.

I still like this build and since I do mostly online streaming which are not in full 1080P it won't make a difference to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrcybvw6g4ay8p...s.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3a73bjxha7k6z...t.mp4?dl=0
Where there is 1080 streaming available I will use it I have to say, and often if it is some important to watch at best res movie or TV show, then if the streaming is not up to it I will download it onto my SD card and watch it later in full HD. I am sure Helix at full 1080 will be here real soon as they usually bring over these good features from the previous builds.
Cheers
Raymw
I'll fix the upscaling soon
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2015-01-21, 11:33)AuXBoX Wrote: I'll fix the upscaling soon

Thanks AuXBox. Is there a support page where I can buy you a beer?
Any way to put the box in standby instead to power it off?
I've two other MX-III boxes, where i installed a porting of OpenElec, and on this platform the poweroff function calls a standby (screen off, lan off, led red).
(2015-01-21, 22:46)TheCondor Wrote: Any way to put the box in standby instead to power it off?
I've two other MX-III boxes, where i installed a porting of OpenElec, and on this platform the poweroff function calls a standby (screen off, lan off, led red).

No standby but the unit will boot when you push the power button. I have mine set to a screen saver and shut it down daily.

One time I SSH in and tried running busybox linux command for standby but it doesn't work on this box. Maybe one day someone will figure out the right commands. For now I am happy to even get Helix for free for my old hardware. I will upgrade to the ATV85 soon.
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5