• 76(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2015-01-24, 21:19)gav4130 Wrote: Hi new to this though I've had my device for a year or more. (Cyclone Nano slim+ 1GB)

Tried to install the latest update and my device doesn't do nothing now... Not even any lights on the front come on whilst the power cable is in.

Worked perfectly before this?

Any ideas? Pulling my hair out over it :/
You have a M3 device, these builds are for M6.
It shouldnt have let you flash it.
What happened during the flash
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2015-01-25, 00:20)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-01-24, 21:19)gav4130 Wrote: Hi new to this though I've had my device for a year or more. (Cyclone Nano slim+ 1GB)

Tried to install the latest update and my device doesn't do nothing now... Not even any lights on the front come on whilst the power cable is in.

First attempt, After following instructions to hold down update button for 10 secs during connecting power..

I got into a editable screen with a few different options to mount update (dmg or something I think) or factory reset etc...

Didn't see any thing mountable on the SD from what I seen..

So went a formatted sd to Fat32 and atempted again... But before I could do anything else the device just seemed dead as far as I can see, no lights no nothing coming from it!

Cant really do anything now??
(2015-01-25, 00:33)gav4130 Wrote:
(2015-01-25, 00:20)AuXBoX Wrote:

First attempt, After following instructions to hold down update button for 10 secs during connecting power..

I got into a editable screen with a few different options to mount update (dmg or something I think) or factory reset etc...

So went a formatted sd to Fat32 and atempted again... But before I could do anything else the device just seemed dead as far as I can see, no lights no nothing coming from it!

Thats wierd cause by what your saying you got to the recovery menu and couldnt do anything so you turned it off.
There should not have been anything wrong with that.
This usually happens when the device is turned off in the middle of a flash.

You could get a usb serial adapter and try fix that way, but it's probably not worth the time when these type of boxes don't really cost much to replace anyway.
(2015-01-25, 01:23)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-01-25, 00:33)gav4130 Wrote:
(2015-01-25, 00:20)AuXBoX Wrote: You have a M3 device, these builds are for M6.

I got into a editable screen with a few different options to mount update (dmg or something I think) or factory reset etc.

Thats wierd cause by what your saying you got to the recovery menu and couldnt do anything so you turned it off.
There should not have been anything wrong with that.
This usually happens when the device is turned off in the middle of a flash.

You could get a usb serial adapter and try fix that way, but it's probably not worth the time when these type of boxes don't really cost much to replace anyway.

Cheers, when u say usually happens.. Does that mean it's dead?

What's the serial adapter and how can I try it?

This device cost me around £80, that isn't cheap to me I'm afraid..

Cheers for the feedback as well!
(2015-01-24, 19:44)bobones Wrote: I just renamed the ,kodi folder to .kodi.orig and renamed the .xbmc folder to .kodi so I didn't need to reconfigure. If you can flash linux you can log on with putty and either remove the folder or rename it. I don't have a problem with shutdown as I just leave my box on.

Yep appreciate that bobones and love this new compile. What would be good though is for the /root/usr/share XBMC folder to not be installed at all with these compiles as without putty and the right password there is no way to delete folders in this /usr area of course. That way we have a compile that can be used efficiently with these new virgin Android boxes. So you are saying if I use Putty and the letmein password I should for now be able to remove the /root/usr/share xbmc folder ?? Will certainly give it a try.

No problem with the /root/root/.xbmc folder as this can be removed though I think better still is to totally factory restore your old Linux Gotham system by going back to Android and starting afresh with this new Linux Helix build this will avoid cluttering up the system memory with all other old and now superseded xbmc folders like the /root/root/.xbmc folder of course which will then no longer be present.

Trouble with not shutting down is that if you leave these Linux based boxes in standby then the chances are they freeze up anyway and need a reboot when you next come to use them. Also after some config changes and deleted and added new add-ons a reboot is also often needed and this can currently cause a lock up too. Appreciate this bug is probably a build issue not a compile one, and as I said before it is a tad annoying but not a deal breaker in any way.
Cheers
Raymw
gav4130 yes I appreciate that cost is for many of us significant. But they are now old boxes, sure still good with the correct old Linux Frodo 12.0 builds, but can probably buy second hand very cheaply now.

You need to try to reinstall an old Linux XBMC Frodo 12 build for the M3 box but you will need to get back to the recovery screen first. Try just holding the reset recessed button in and keep it held until you see some screen action and the recover screen appear, it may take some time be warned. Then from the recovery screen do a clean factory Reset, then plug in your USB or SD card with the old Linux Frodo 12.0 image on it and try to re-flash Linux Frodo 12.0 Note that there were two types one for the earlier Nano slim boxes and one for later ones with a then newer Samsung chip fitted so you would need to search back in this forum for information as to this. But anyway try the main last issue of Linux Frodo 12.0.for the M3 single core boxes as most likely if your box is only a year old then that is the correct one.

If you can get into the recovery screen and cannot find the correct Linux Frodo 12 image to flash then let me know as liek several of us here I have all of these old Linux XBMC image files stored here and can arrange to send you what would be a likely suitable one if really needed. But sure if you look around you should find them all available for downloading

Auxbox is as usual dead right as your box should only have bricked if you interrupted a valid flash update installing by removing the power.. .
Cheers
Raymw
I haven't tested the helix build , is there a network manager built in for wireless?
Network manager for kodi doesn't seem to be compatible yet
@raymw yes, log on with putty and "rm -r .xbmc" will get rid of it. You're right though, Kodi install should move .xbmc folder to .kodi for upgrade. Maybe AuxBox will implement this as I can't be bothered Smile I've noticed a 250ms lipsync problem with some sources with my builds, not sure how to fix it. Also, box is not freezing since installing hypno screensaver Smile
New build for testing
https://mega.co.nz/#!XwIjGSIT!JjaeSwUaCZ...qaw-bsRamY
Yes Auxbox the Network WiFi manager works fine with Helix.and have fully tested it here with my WPA2 WiFi.

Bobones that 250 mS lip-sync problem has been around for some time certainly since Gotham 13.2 and I think before that. Easy to adjust but wish there was some way of globally fixing it for all video streaming as it seems consistent with all the videos I stream.

Where do I get the hypno screen saver ??

(2015-01-25, 11:36)bobones Wrote: @raymw yes, log on with putty and "rm -r .xbmc" will get rid of it. You're right though, Kodi install should move .xbmc folder to .kodi for upgrade. Maybe AuxBox will implement this as I can't be bothered Smile I've noticed a 250ms lipsync problem with some sources with my builds, not sure how to fix it. Also, box is not freezing since installing hypno screensaver Smile

The .xbmc folder can anyway be removed easily with File Manager but I am more concerned with the xbmc folder note no leading . (period) located in the /root/usr/share folder which is a write protected area and cannot be deleted with File Manager. Easy to confuse the two for sure but they are of course totally different content. I agree though it would be good for that /root/root/.xbmc folder content to be moved automatically to /root/root/,kodi folder automatically in the upgrade process
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-01-25, 13:17)AuXBoX Wrote: New build for testing
https://mega.co.nz/#!XwIjGSIT!JjaeSwUaCZ...qaw-bsRamY

Just installed on my ATV1200 box this latest compile of yours Auxbox, so many thanks as always for that BUT sadly have to report two major problems.

FIrstly the audio has a continuous low level buzzing (no not with passthrough which I had not tested but just the normal HDMI audio) and the content sound when streaming is badly distorted and low level too. Becuase of this and the second problem below, I had to roll back and reinstalled the last compile from bobones and the problem disappears immediately, so something weird with this new compile.

Secondly there is now no Network WiFi Manager installed. I tried to install this add-on using the Get Addons section, but it will not install as it says there are missing dependencies. So obviously we must have a means of switching on WiFi and back to Wired as required. I would still like to see a return to the old Linux Frodo 12.3 and earlier network connection system with the simple fix that enables free switching between WiFi and Wired, and as a bonus that of cause is Broadcom compatible too for the ATV520 boxes. Still we at least need the Network Manager restored for the ATV1200 boxes if we cannot go back to the the original Linux Frodo 12.3 network connection system.

Also be nice to remove from the upgrade install the /root/usr/share/xbmc folder as that is surely now superfluous with the newly replaced /root/usr/share/kodi folder.

Hope this constructive feedback helps Auxbox, but please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with further testing these builds.
Cheers
Raymw
@raymw the xbmc folder is in /usr/share is not really a folder: it's a symbolic link to /usr/share/kodi so it doesn't use any space.

I don't find that the lipsync is consistent. Most stuff is fine but some stuff needs a 250ms adjustment, If it was consistent, you can set the delay using the audio settings when watching a video and then select "set as default for all videos".

You can install different screensaver addons when you pick "get more" from the screensaver mode settings page.

@AuXBoX I had a problem with the network manager on one of my ATV1200s when I renamed the .xbmc folder to ,kodi before I flashed it (not sure if this is really significant). I had no internet connection an network manager would fail with a script error. I then went back to 13.2, moved the .kodi folder back to .xbmc then reflashed 14.0 and the network manger worked fine. Weird.
(2015-01-19, 20:16)p_turner_uk Wrote: Hi xbmcdoc

wow, thank you for going to that effort for me. I just made the boot card successfully and will let you know how I get on!

*edit

Still no luck. The boot card partitioned ok and I put the correct files on as per the instructions in your video xbmcdoc. Bridged the pins, sd card in, reset button held down and power in. Waited 5-6 minutes and nothing, tried several times. Maybe this one is beyond saving.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

I bought another ATV1200 from Aliexpress and they tell me it's out of stock, so are giving me an ATV1800 instead. I understand there is no Linux build as yet for that, so I guess it's back to android for me, and I will keep an eye on these forums for a linux Kodi build.

Further to the above..... I had a clear out yesterday and found an old ATV 1200 that was bricked and that I thought I had thrown out. Tried to fix that one too using the pin bridging method with a boot up card and nothing....... surely this is not co-incidence and i must be doing something wrong somewhere? Any ideas anyone?
Thanks Bobones, I did not realise those files in the /root/usr/xbmc folder were simply symbolic links. If not needed any more though it would be neater to get rid of it eventually when no longer required. .

Thanks also for the tip I already knew but had forgotten about saving the 250mS audio delay setting as "set as default for all videos" which I have now done as yes it does seem consistent the 250mS delay needed for the audio to lip sync properly.

Still could not see your Hypnosis or whatever screensaver listed but there are many more that by their names only do not particularly appeal. Anyway no problem will search around and try one of those non appealing ones to see if it fixes those very occasional freezes.

Your last Helix compile is now on my 1200 box and working perfectly still (apart form those old bugs we know about) after extended testing and use now. Big respect and thanks mate.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-01-25, 07:24)raymw Wrote: gav4130 yes I appreciate that cost is for many of us significant. But they are now old boxes, sure still good with the correct old Linux Frodo 12.0 builds, but can probably buy second hand very cheaply now.

You need to try to reinstall an old Linux XBMC Frodo 12 build for the M3 box but you will need to get back to the recovery screen first. Try just holding the reset recessed button in and keep it held until you see some screen action and the recover screen appear, it may take some time be warned. Then from the recovery screen do a clean factory Reset, then plug in your USB or SD card with the old Linux Frodo 12.0 image on it and try to re-flash Linux Frodo 12.0 Note that there were two types one for the earlier Nano slim boxes and one for later ones with a then newer Samsung chip fitted so you would need to search back in this forum for information as to this. But anyway try the main last issue of Linux Frodo 12.0.for the M3 single core boxes as most likely if your box is only a year old then that is the correct one.

If you can get into the recovery screen and cannot find the correct Linux Frodo 12 image to flash then let me know as liek several of us here I have all of these old Linux XBMC image files stored here and can arrange to send you what would be a likely suitable one if really needed. But sure if you look around you should find them all available for downloading

Auxbox is as usual dead right as your box should only have bricked if you interrupted a valid flash update installing by removing the power.. .

Cheers for the info..

I don't think I can do anything even with the right files... Box showing no signs of life... No lights coming on... I've held the update button down for over 5 minutes during connecting power.

I was using this box just for the bedroom, very little use.. But able to play dvd or 720 quality streams from server. Didn't need or use anything else other that that.

Now I cant do anything, didn't want to spend anything on a new box.

Defo nothing I can do myself?
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5