Fire TV and Mpeg2 tweaks
What is everyone doing for mpeg2 on FireTV is there anyway to get a bit better performance?

The only thing I use mpeg2 for is the live tv recordings via NextPVR and with just the libstagefright enabled it's
ok, but looks slightly odd when being played.

I'm running the latest stable android Kodi.

Thanks.
There simply isn't anything to do. The FireTV lacks the power to de-interlace the content and therefore it is a poor solution for LiveTV use. I would love to be wrong on this but I have tried everything. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

I mean, MPEG2 is easy to play the CPU can do it if the SoC doesn't. What I bet you are seeing is interlaced combs, which can only be fixed with different hardware.

Here is as good as you get:

Quote:With MediaCodec on, libstagefright off, and deinterlacing set to Auto, it does run fairly well.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204218

The Pi can de-interlace but barely. A Chromebox can do it like a champ in Openelec.

There is work being done to add some de-interlacing ability. See this thread.

213600 (thread)

Looks like things may be there for Kodi 15.
That would be nice, it would get it up to a Pi level.

(2015-01-29, 20:21)poofyhairguy Wrote: The Pi can de-interlace but barely. A Chromebox can do it like a champ in Openelec.
Actually .... Openelec / Kodi on the RPi now does the highest quality CPU deinterlacing called "Deinterlace" aka Yadif. Smile

The Fire TV still has quite a way to go to get to that level.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165707

I think you are referring to Hardware deinterlacing introduced in Kodi ....

Quote:Additionally, users of Kodi for Linux on Intel devices such as the NUC and Chromebox will now have hardware deinterlacing of Live TV and other interlaced content thanks to Kodi’s new implementation of VAAPI video post processing for Intel graphics.

(2015-01-30, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 20:21)poofyhairguy Wrote: The Pi can de-interlace but barely. A Chromebox can do it like a champ in Openelec.
Actually .... Openelec / Kodi on the RPi now does the highest quality CPU deinterlacing called "Deinterlace" aka Yadif. Smile

Are you sure that 'deinterlace' on the Pi is YADIF? I thought it did a reasonably decent de-interlace in the GPU ? (i.e. the deinterlace setting has a slightly different meaning on various platforms - so the Pi and x86 settings may differ - hence it not being called by an algorithm name)
(2015-01-30, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Actually .... Openelec / Kodi on the RPi now does the highest quality CPU deinterlacing called "Deinterlace" aka Yadif. Smile

I thought the Pi did the interlacing not on the CPU? I would be amazed if that CPU could deinterlace even overclocked.

The best deinterlacing we get in Kodi is Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing via VDPAU. It is the reason I will never have anything but a full x86 computer with a Nvidia GPU in my main living area. Intel caught up a lot with the new release, but Nvidia is still champ for the outright best experience. And even then not every Nvidia can do it as it takes a decent amount of GPU power to deinterlace right. The only ARM GPU I know with that much power is in the A8X, and who knows if we could unlock it for that.

Here is a good guide thanks to Myth to give you an idea of the power needed for high-end de-interlacing:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Card_status

Notice a GT 520 can't do advanced in HD. I find a GT 430 is the floor.

Nice chart. Thanks.

(2015-01-30, 13:01)noggin Wrote:
(2015-01-30, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Actually .... Openelec / Kodi on the RPi now does the highest quality CPU deinterlacing called "Deinterlace" aka Yadif. Smile

Are you sure that 'deinterlace' on the Pi is YADIF? I thought it did a reasonably decent de-interlace in the GPU ? (i.e. the deinterlace setting has a slightly different meaning on various platforms - so the Pi and x86 settings may differ - hence it not being called by an algorithm name)

No idea just equating what I read in the linked thread above. It is very likely a different meaning on the Pi, and if thats the case I blame Kodi common branding for causing confusion !

Ok I looked into it. I think the best the Pi can do is bob or weave on the GPU. Maybe double rate weave.

Which isn't bad at all, heck better than any ARM box.

It better than Bob, as I see that on a Ubuntu / Kodi ATV1. Its branded MMAL - Advanced on my RPi.

I do agree as well that VDPAU deinterlacing is superb, I see this on my AMD 6770M iMac Smile

The wetek on openelec does a fantastic job of deinterlacing, not sure what method it uses as it's done in the aml hardware acceleration, but it's definitely better than the Pi and than that done in Windows on my surface pro 3 i5 Sad
(2015-01-30, 17:26)poofyhairguy Wrote:

I thought the Pi did the interlacing not on the CPU? I would be amazed if that CPU could deinterlace even overclocked.
No - GPU (not VPU) I believe.
Quote:The best deinterlacing we get in Kodi is Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing via VDPAU.
Nope again - we get Motion Compensative in VAAPI (which is better than Motion Adaptive), and I think Temporal / Spatial VDPAU is also better than MA.
And yet an IVTC would be preferred to any deinterlacing on a lot of interlaced MPEG-2 content (at least in the US).
(2015-01-31, 16:32)Stereodude Wrote: And yet an IVTC would be preferred to any deinterlacing on a lot of interlaced MPEG-2 content (at least in the US).

IVTC is a form of de-interlacing isn't it? (You are taking an interlaced signal and removing the interlace)

You are taking an interlaced signal, detecting the redundant field, and de-interlacing based on the position of this redundant field (i.e. weaving the pairs of non-redundant fields and then adding a 3:2 frame cadence again in most cases, so you can cope with mixed 3:2, 2:2 and native interlaced content in the same stream?)
(2015-01-30, 19:19)poofyhairguy Wrote: Ok I looked into it. I think the best the Pi can do is bob or weave on the GPU. Maybe double rate weave.

Which isn't bad at all, heck better than any ARM box.

For DVD resolution the Pi will do a motion adaptive deinterlace similar to YADIF.
For higher resolutions (e.g. 1080i) it will do bob. Both will optionally double framerate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV and Mpeg2 tweaks0