• 2(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
Awesome. Kodi should fly on this!
mines on its way!
First post here, long time OpenElec user, I've just ordered a Pi2 (which lands tomorrow!!). Excited to see what sort of performance improvement I see over my existing Pi Model B.

In terms of add-ons, am I right in thinking Kodi addons are (almost all) platform agnostic and therefore as long as the OpenELEC build supports the new chip, all of the addons will continue to work?
(2015-02-02, 12:12)thedigger Wrote: In terms of add-ons, am I right in thinking Kodi addons are (almost all) platform agnostic and therefore as long as the OpenELEC build supports the new chip, all of the addons will continue to work?

Yes.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-02-02, 12:12)thedigger Wrote: First post here, long time OpenElec user, I've just ordered a Pi2 (which lands tomorrow!!). Excited to see what sort of performance improvement I see over my existing Pi Model B.

In terms of add-ons, am I right in thinking Kodi addons are (almost all) platform agnostic and therefore as long as the OpenELEC build supports the new chip, all of the addons will continue to work?

yes, our own binary addon we have to rebuild, which we will do over the next days
greetings, Stephan

Have been considering a Pi for a while now, solely to run Kodi as using my laptop is not practical.

I was concerned the B+ would not be powerful enough for the 1080p stuff but the new Pi 2 looks great!

I will be ordering one today Smile
(2015-02-02, 10:15)Milhouse Wrote: Yes. Probably later today, although there's no immediate rush...

will pick up mine from a store next to me in like 2-3h Wink
edit: order is ready for pickup in 30 mins Big Grin
(2015-02-02, 11:08)Dam0 Wrote: drools....

nice work.

2 x things that currently suck...

1) -took delivery of 2 x model B+ this morning Sad

2) - aust distributor has NA listed as stock quantity for PI 2 :-((

cant wait.

I just ordered 1 from au.element14.com. Fingers crossed it shipps from Australia
http://au.element14.com/raspberry-pi/ras...dp/2461030
These are great news! Smile

Given that the Pi 2 now feature multi-core, is there any hope it will be able to decode Hi10P FullHD Anime or it will still be underpowered?
just ordered two of these puppies!
Would anyone know as to whether there could be DTS-MA/TrueHD pass-through on the new Pi or is it likely to be stuck with the same limitations as before? (I'm guessing that because the GPU is the same, its unlikely there will be a difference)
(2015-02-02, 12:58)ashleyw Wrote: just ordered two of these puppies!
Would anyone know as to whether there could be DTS-MA/TrueHD pass-through on the new Pi or is it likely to be stuck with the same limitations as before? (I'm guessing that because the GPU is the same, its unlikely there will be a difference)

That's my guess too. AIUI the limitation is that whilst the Pi supports 8 channel PCM output at 48kHz, it doesn't at higher sampling rates, and drops to 2 changel PCM at 192kHz which means the bandwidth required to carry a full DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD signal isn't there. (As DTS-HD MA can require a similar bandwith to multichannel 192kHz)

However - the new Pi 2 should have enough CPU to decode FLAC 5.1 audio to PCM 5.1 - so if you can transcode DTS HD MA on a Windows box (True HD is possible in Kodi I believe?) then you could still get uncompressed 5.1 48kHz sound out of the Pi 2?

Of course this may be wrong - there may have been a tweak to the audio subsystems in the new SoC. It's all guesswork!
(2015-02-02, 12:55)N3MIS15 Wrote: I just ordered 1 from au.element14.com. Fingers crossed it shipps from Australia
http://au.element14.com/raspberry-pi/ras...dp/2461030
I've Ordered from these guys before and their delivery times are excellent Smile

The VideoCore part of Pi 2 is the same and that contains the HDMI hardware.
So I'm afraid no DTS-MA/TrueHD passthrough.

However the increased performance means software decode of TrueHD is not a problem, and we can output 8 channel PCM, so 8 channel audio is supported.
just ordered 5 lol, not sure why but I can always find a use for them.
(2015-02-02, 13:22)popcornmix Wrote:

The VideoCore part of Pi 2 is the same and that contains the HDMI hardware.
So I'm afraid no DTS-MA/TrueHD passthrough.

However the increased performance means software decode of TrueHD is not a problem, and we can output 8 channel PCM, so 8 channel audio is supported.

So if you have DTS HD MA tracks and can decode them to FLAC 5.1 (or transcode to Dolby True HD if an encoder exists?) on a Windows box you're fine for 48kHz tracks really aren't you? (And 192kHz multichannel will be down sampled, though stereo won't be?)

(AIUI the Pi limitation is that 8 channel PCM is limited to 48kHz, if you want 192kHz you have to drop the number of channels for bandwidth reasons, and that bandwidth limitation also means True HD/DTS HD MA can't be bitstreamed)
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0