• 5(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: wouldn't that be the best OS to use?

NoNoNo
backpowered RaspberryPi Model B, Kodi15, Boblight-Ambilight,
arm_freq=1040 core_freq=520 gpu_freq=510 isp_freq=510 sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=6 over_voltage=8 current_limit_override=1 force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=256 force_turbo=1 avoid_pwm_pll=1 current_limit_override=1
@popcornmix - From the release post on Raspberrypi.org, it says " All of the connectors are in the same place and have the same functionality", so is it safe to assume we can use our existing cases? All of the pictures show it without a heatsink.... any temperature issues we should be aware of?

Sorry if this was answered somewhere... a lot of info going around in a short period of time!
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?

Be aware that Windows IoT is not the same as desktop windows (it's more of an embedded/tablet/phone OS).
Also be aware that it's not available yet.
Also be aware that any gui code, audio, input, and hardware video decode will need porting (and may not be possible).
And performance is almost certainly going to be worse running under another graphical OS (whether windows or X) compared to running natively.

So, no, windows is not the best OS to you.
(2015-02-02, 23:06)doveman2 Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 19:33)popcornmix Wrote: Gotham is no longer supported.
I suspect that taking the new Helix image and replacing SYSTEM with the one from Gotham image may work (not optimal, as it won't be built with armv7/neon, but will still be faster than running on Pi 1). That was how I originally got OE running on Pi 2. However I seem to remember a commit going in that complained if kernel and SYSTEM were different versions, so that may be an issue if it can't be disabled.

Understood, thanks for the tips. I guess I need to try and find my brother another skin that he'll be able to use on his CRT as xTV-SAF doesn't seem likely to get an upgrade anytime soon and I don't really want to leave him on Gotham and miss out on all the great work you've done on Kodi 14 and 15.

XTV-SAF has been updated to AppTV, and now runs on 15 - get him to give it a try and see if it looks OK. http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=76
(2015-02-02, 23:28)sdsnyr94 Wrote: @popcornmix - From the release post on Raspberrypi.org, it says " All f the connectors are in the same place and have the same functionality", so is it safe to assume we can use our existing cases? All of the pictures show it without a heatsink.... any temperature issues we should be aware of?

Existing cases will probably work...
The B+ Pibow case does have a strut that hits a surface mount component which results in the case having a 1mm gap on one layer.
It is still usable, and could certainly be fixed with a bit of filing.

A heatsink is not required. Without a heatsink, and in an enclosed (Pibow) case I've never hit the temperature limit running Kodi, even with overclock.
In theory if the 4 cores are all driven hard it can generate more heat than a Pi 1, and I do have a carefully constructed stress test that can force the temperature limit to be hit,
but all that means is overclock is disabled until the temperature has dropped, and no harm will be done.

It is possible that a heatsink could help with extreme overclocking, but in general it is not recommended.
So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?

I've tried Kodi on Windows 8.1 with Bing on an Atom Quad Core Baytrail-T. I've tried Kodi under Linux on the same platform. The Linux performance was a LOT better in Kodi.

We don't know what the IoT Windows 10 release will be like - but in my experience Windows has a bit more of a 'footprint' than Linux for many applications (i.e. it takes more RAM, more storage and more CPU cycles)

LOL with all that Bloatware slowing it down ! Really ?
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
(2015-02-02, 23:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000

If you are trying to make the Pi 2 into a NAS then it's an issue.

However for media playback 100Mbs is more than adequate for playing lossless Blu-ray rips. You don't need GigE for a single media player device, unless you are playing very high bitrate stuff you are mastering yourself at crazy high bitrates.

One new aspect of the Pi 2 is that hopefully there will be more than enough CPU to cope with SMB, rather than us having to use NFS?
(2015-02-02, 23:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000

100mb is more than enough for a pi and xbmc 1080p even at very high bit rates.

More Windows 10 on Pi 2 information here - an interview with Ebon Upton.

TL;DR: No.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
will it be possible to run a xserver on the new pi with support for controller? this is what i really missing since i switched to the pi.
Popcornmix, do you expect (or know) if the new Pi will be able to use the high quality deinterlacing (that's currently only used on SD content on the old Pi) on HD content as well?
Thanks
Ben
(2015-02-03, 00:49)BenH Wrote: Popcornmix, do you expect (or know) if the new Pi will be able to use the high quality deinterlacing (that's currently only used on SD content on the old Pi) on HD content as well?

Probably not. That code runs on the GPU which is unchanged on Pi 2.
It's possible deinterlace could be implemented on the ARM, but I suspect that doesn't have the power (no other arm platform can do high quality deinterlace in software on arm).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0