• 13(current)
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?
(2015-02-01, 21:22)z31fanatic Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 13:19)noggin Wrote: On the other hand we got a lot more consumer protection... (Distance selling, UK Sale of Goods Act and a lot of the EU regulations are far tougher than in the US.) Sure I'd love to pay less for stuff and have more choice, but I wouldn't want to be regulated the same as the US either. I guess it's a quid-pro-quo kind of situation.
And what are these protections you speak of? I am curious.

The UK Sale of Goods Act means that items should be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. This means that if something fails during a period when a reasonable person would expect it to still function, you are entitled to redress (usually refund, replacement or repair). In other words, you are still protected if something fails outside warranty if it should reasonably last longer than the warranty period if made to a satisfactory quality. Everything, pretty much, sold in the UK has a minimum 12 month guarantee. But if you bought a washing machine and it came with a 12 month guarantee, but failed catastrophically in the 13th month, you still have strong legal backing as a washing machine fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality should not fail after 13 months. It's a surprisingly useful bit of legislation...

Of course it doesn't cover you for wear and tear - so if you buy a washing machine and run it constantly for 12 months and it fails that would be different...

Distance selling legislation in the UK mean you have a guaranteed 14 days to return an item bought online or by mail order/telephone should you wish. No questions asked.

My understanding is that the US doesn't have the same degree of consumer purchase protection. I may be wrong - but I heard that there are guarantees as short as 90 days on some products?
Some things are less than 90 days here! Used cars from some used car dealers for instance, are 30 days!
(2015-02-01, 23:54)flhthemi Wrote: Some things are less than 90 days here! Used cars from some used car dealers for instance, are 30 days!

Ah - there are exceptions for second hand sales in the UK too I believe. But this is way off topic now!
So got mine today, added a 120GB SSD and 1x 4GB ram and windows 10.

Using steam in home atreamimg it's fantastic , uses Hardley any power and is whisper silent.

I have one huge issue , I can play the 1080p 60fps Kodi test in Kodi with no dropped frames with about 30% CPU useage but if I watch a 1080p YouTube video in chrome or Firefox its a stutter fest and CPU is about 95%

What would be the issue here? The hardware should be more than good enough to watch 1080p YouTube.

I'm going to try windows 8.1 I'm hoping its a windows 10 issue . anyone else have issues ?
(2015-02-03, 03:06)stoke1863 Wrote: So got mine today, added a 120GB SSD and 1x 4GB ram and windows 10.

Using steam in home atreamimg it's fantastic , uses Hardley any power and is whisper silent.

I have one huge issue , I can play the 1080p 60fps Kodi test in Kodi with no dropped frames with about 30% CPU useage but if I watch a 1080p YouTube video in chrome or Firefox its a stutter fest and CPU is about 95%

What would be the issue here? The hardware should be more than good enough to watch 1080p YouTube.

I'm going to try windows 8.1 I'm hoping its a windows 10 issue . anyone else have issues ?

Can you please elaborate on your experience with steam streaming? Did you manage to stream at 1080p 60fps smoothly, without any "slow decode" messages or spikes in the red graph?

Thanks.
(2015-02-03, 15:59)karmck Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 03:06)stoke1863 Wrote: So got mine today, added a 120GB SSD and 1x 4GB ram and windows 10.

Can you please elaborate on your experience with steam streaming? Did you manage to stream at 1080p 60fps smoothly, without any "slow decode" messages or spikes in the red graph?

Thanks.

1080p 60 on the beautiful settings with unlimited bandwidth . screen latency is around 32ms and hardware around 2ms . this is over 650mb power line . the bandwith on the stats is usually around 110mb.

In regards to 1080p YouTube it plays perfect in IE11 with little CPU usseage so maybe it's a chrome issue
For a pure kodi device with lan would I be best with one of these (+ssd & 2gb mem +flirc) or chromebox+flirc?

I dont think I would use windows unless it would run some not too graphics intensive games such as civ5 and an rc simulator?
If you get the bare bones ZotacBI320 + SSD +2GB, you effectively have a Chromebox with Toslink / Optical out built in.

The Win8.1 version will give you the ability to add a 2nd HDD or SSD and have a full web browser and Netflix Apps etc as a backup if you dual boot it and add Openelec.
I don't think you will have many issues with lightweight games in Win8.1, especially with a quick SSD connected.

I personally value flexibility, but you may prefer the Aesthetics of a Black Chromebox, or the other very very similar option the eye catching HP Steam Mini Smile

I've had mine for a couple months now. Got it during the Newegg flash sale for $115. I'm only using it for web browsing/streaming and windows Kodi. I had zero issues watching 1080p youtube videos on Firefox at like 40% CPU usage. Streams twitch.tv at Source video settings just fine too.
Think Ill get one of these. The only thing that concerns me still is the sleep/wake-up issue with a flirc

I didn't understand the earlier comments about s3 and s5? Will it work or not with a harmony?
(2015-01-07, 04:53)Stereodude Wrote: I did a little more testing and it won't stay in suspend in OpenELEC with the USB receiver for the Lenovo N5901 wireless keyboard / mouse plugged in (USB 2.0 or 3.0 port). It pops out of Suspend after a second or two. I looked through the BIOS and I can disable USB devices from waking it from S3/S4, but I'm not pressing any buttons on the keyboard or moving the mouse when it wakes up. With the wireless receiver unplugged from the BI320 it will stay in suspend and WOL from Yatse.

Were you ever able to resolve this in OpenElec? I have the same problem, but when I unplugged the Lenovo receiver and rebooted, it still wakes up right away after I put it to sleep. I have WOL disabled so maybe my MCE remote receiver is still causing this? I don't seem to have this problem in Windows.
(2015-02-04, 21:20)rs1800 Wrote: Think Ill get one of these. The only thing that concerns me still is the sleep/wake-up issue with a flirc

I didn't understand the earlier comments about s3 and s5? Will it work or not with a harmony?

I had that issue. It was a deal-breaker for me, so I returned it. (I also had no navigation sounds. Not a big deal, but it added to my disappointment.)
Navigation sound. You sure. you set up the audio settings correct. Mine works perfectly.
I get no navigation sounds on any PC when using a mouse. Get them with the keyboard though.
Android boxes must see the mouse a different way, I hear them on my Ugoos UT2 with a mouse.
(2015-02-04, 23:29)cncb Wrote: Were you ever able to resolve this in OpenElec? I have the same problem, but when I unplugged the Lenovo receiver and rebooted, it still wakes up right away after I put it to sleep. I have WOL disabled so maybe my MCE remote receiver is still causing this? I don't seem to have this problem in Windows.
No, I didn't try. I just turn the box off.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?1