• 8(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?
Where the hell do you get that idea?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-04, 11:37)Warez Wrote: Is the Leopold .Unofficial Raspberry Pi configuration addon working on the Pi2?

It is for my builds (can't say about any others) - you'll need the latest version though, 3.11.0.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-02-02, 23:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000
No they don't.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-03, 04:28)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 23:49)bertybassett Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 23:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000

100mb is more than enough for a pi and xbmc 1080p even at very high bit rates.

Yea it plays fine with mine under 100 but when you have 1000's of movies and 10,000's of TV shows everytime you do a fresh install it takes all day to scan it in. As per my PC which has nic/1000 takes minutes for a full scan.
Stop doing fresh installs.
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?

The Windows 10 being released for the Pi 2 is likely to be (according to various threads on the Pi forums), the IoT version. This doesn't have a Windows GUI - it's more for embedded, headless stuff, and you control it, like the Intel Galileo boards, from a Telnet command line (a bit like DOS of old)

** EDIT - according to lysin it will have a GUI but it is being developed by the IoT team **

The use case for Win 10 IoT is that you develop your code on an x86 Windows desktop machine (or laptop) and then download the code to the Pi Win 10 install to run it. Think of it as turning the Pi into a super-powered Arduino that uses an MS code development environment.

Looks like you probably won't be running Kodi or MS Office on the Pi running Windows 10 if they are developing the IoT version for the Pi.

** EDIT - or maybe you will **
(2015-02-03, 04:28)Rickt1962 Wrote: Yea it plays fine with mine under 100 but when you have 1000's of movies and 10,000's of TV shows everytime you do a fresh install it takes all day to scan it in. As per my PC which has nic/1000 takes minutes for a full scan.
There are some very valuable tips in this post I did on the RPi B+ for managing a large library on the RPi.
A lot still apply to the RPi 2.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1910911

Are you aware that even a RPi 2 with quad cores still has a microSDHC card with a pretty low write speed and that is the actual constraint when scanning a very large library. As opposed to a quick HDD on the PC.

You are going to have to change the way you manage your media library for the RPi or put up with the pain.
Do it now and set it up properly to begin with Nod

Do you have to have both a USB and sd card overclocked setup with the pi 2 or will the sd card by itself be ample?
The SD card will be sufficient for most people.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-02-04, 13:35)noggin Wrote:

The Windows 10 being released for the Pi 2 is likely to be (according to various threads on the Pi forums), the IoT version. This doesn't have a Windows GUI - it's more for embedded, headless stuff, and you control it, like the Intel Galileo boards, from a Telnet command line (a bit like DOS of old)

The use case for Win 10 IoT is that you develop your code on an x86 Windows desktop machine (or laptop) and then download the code to the Pi Win 10 install to run it. Think of it as turning the Pi into a super-powered Arduino that uses an MS code development environment.

Looks like you probably won't be running Kodi or MS Office on the Pi running Windows 10 if they are developing the IoT version for the Pi.

W10 will be developed by the IoT team, yes, but will have a gui.

That doesn't mean you should use it for kodi (or anything else serious Big Grin)
(2015-02-04, 11:37)Warez Wrote: Is the Leopold .Unofficial Raspberry Pi configuration addon working on the Pi2?

No the current 0.18.0 version does not support Pi 2. I have an updated version if someone would be willing to test it before I push it to my repo?
The setting "Output the maximum 1.2A from USB ports (max_usb_current)" should show on a Pi B+ and Pi 2 B but not a Pi B.
script.openelec.rpi.config-0.19.0.zip
Leopold's Repository: Home of LibreELEC Dev Updater ...
Leopold i will test it later this day thx!! Smile
(2015-02-05, 05:33)lysin Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 13:35)noggin Wrote:

W10 will be developed by the IoT team, yes, but will have a gui.

That doesn't mean you should use it for kodi (or anything else serious Big Grin)

Thanks - have corrected my post.
(2015-02-03, 12:18)el_Salmon Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 11:57)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: But... what about Odroid C1?
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/02/r...omparison/
Odroid C1 in Europe is more expensive than RPi 2: 44€ versus 31€
Odroid C1 doesn't support HDMI-CEC but RPi 2 does.
Odroid C1 needs a special DC power supply but RPi 2 uses an standard Micro-USB.
Odroid C1 lacks OpenELEC or Kodi official builds.

Also, word has it that Odroid C1 won't output a proper video signal for 23.976 fps content. (I don't know whether that can/will ever be fixed.)
(2015-02-03, 11:38)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 06:02)melfy Wrote: Would we expect this to be similar to the humming board or cubox in terms of kodi performance?

I think it's currently a lot better as the sw implementation is much, much further than the imx solution at this very moment. Might change for v15. But with that new Pi, it's already now (!) fully working.

My Pi2 turned up and its quite a bit faster than my 2 core hummingboard, both running stock 14.1 without overclocks. My test is the Titan skin @ 1080 which got a bit laggy on the imx chip but flies on the ARM7.
Happy days :-)
(2015-02-05, 11:02)melfy Wrote: My test is the Titan skin @ 1080 which got a bit laggy on the imx chip but flies on the ARM7.

Huh? I'm pretty sure neither the BCM2836 nor the i.MX6 are ARM7 chips. One is Cortex-A7 and the other is Cortex-A9. Both use the ARMv7 instruction set. (ARM's designations for very different things are confusingly similar.)
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0