• 10(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
(2015-02-12, 12:08)username145 Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 08:10)wrxtasy Wrote: Not laggy at all, pretty much everything is now as quick as Kodi running on my quad core 2.7Ghz i5 iMac, even when the RPi 2 is not overclocked. Even a heavy Skin like Aeon Nox is snappy.

The only really laggy thing I found on my well tweaked old RPi B+ was scanning back in a large media library over a local network. With 4 cores now on the RPi2 used for networking and low level housekeeping duties, everything is nice an quick.

Great value for the price paid. Smile

Thanks, gotta say that is really impressive. I now look forward to replacing my bulky, relatively sluggish Core 2 Duo!
that would be great. but tbh I'm not really expecting it to run like my C2D setup with a demanding skin.
HTPC LibreELEC 9.0 - Xperience1080+
RPi3 LibreELEC Milhouse build - Arctic Zephyr
Hello guys,

just received my rpi2 and installed openelec 5.0.3, my last rpi B worked pretty well with openelec but this time i would like to try something new. Is it possible to install new hardware, addon on rpi2 in order to passthrough to my receiver DTS-HD or DD MA?

Regards
(2015-02-12, 14:17)abpostelnicu Wrote: Hello guys,

just received my rpi2 and installed openelec 5.0.3, my last rpi B worked pretty well with openelec but this time i would like to try something new. Is it possible to install new hardware, addon on rpi2 in order to passthrough to my receiver DTS-HD or DD MA?

Regards

I don't believe anyone has produced a product like the old Xonar pass-through PCI cards (that added HD Audio to an existing HDMI stream) - and they cost many times the cost of a Pi/Pi2.

Dolby True HD can be decoded by the Pi 2 losslessly (if the sample rate is 96kHz or less, or 192kHz tracks have 4.0 or fewer channels) and output as PCM over HDMI. For DTS HD-MA/HRA you will either get the DTS core bitstreamed (or decoded to PCM), unless you can pre-process the content on a PC, decoding it losslessly to FLAC, PCM etc. on a Windows PC with the required .dll for decoding.
(2015-02-12, 14:22)noggin Wrote:

Regards

I don't believe anyone has produced a product like the old Xonar pass-through PCI cards (that added HD Audio to an existing HDMI stream) - and they cost many times the cost of a Pi/Pi2.

Dolby True HD can be decoded by the Pi 2 losslessly (if the sample rate is 96kHz or less, or 192kHz tracks have 4.0 or fewer channels) and output as PCM over HDMI. For DTS HD-MA/HRA you will either get the DTS core bitstreamed (or decoded to PCM), unless you can pre-process the content on a PC, decoding it losslessly to FLAC, PCM etc. on a Windows PC with the required .dll for decoding.

At what product do you refer? Can you post a like, i guess xonar outputs via spidf, but this cannot transmit HD content.
(2015-02-12, 14:26)abpostelnicu Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 14:22)noggin Wrote:

Regards

At what product do you refer? Can you post a like, i guess xonar outputs via spidf, but this cannot transmit HD content.

This was the product I was referring to http://www.asus.com/uk/Sound_Cards_and_D...AV13_Slim/

It was designed to add HD Audio bitstreaming to PCs when GPUs didn't bitstream HD Audio as standard. You looped the HDMI output from your GPU into the Xonar, it added the HD Audio, then then you took the output of the Xonar to your amplifier. Not a Pi solution obviously. Effectively obsolete for PCs now.
(2015-02-12, 14:17)abpostelnicu Wrote: Is it possible to install new hardware, addon on rpi2 in order to passthrough to my receiver DTS-HD or DD MA?

Would the HiFiberry Digi+ do it?
https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus
(2015-02-12, 20:56)forest Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 14:17)abpostelnicu Wrote: Is it possible to install new hardware, addon on rpi2 in order to passthrough to my receiver DTS-HD or DD MA?

Doesn't do High Def audio.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't think there is a solution to add HD Audio Bistreaming. You can't bitstream HD Audio over SPDIF, only over HDMI. Either you chose a different platform (x86 usually) or decode your HD Audio elsewhere to a format that the Pi can playback losslessly decoded to PCM (like FLAC)
(2015-02-12, 21:12)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 20:56)forest Wrote:

Doesn't do High Def audio.

What is the limitation preventing it from passing through HD audio? The TinyTOSLINK's creator seems to think it can do 24bit @ 192 kHz. Is there an HD audio format that goes above that?
Post 26 in this very thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-13, 02:31)nickr Wrote: Post 26 in this very thread.

That post is rather vague. The author says he isn't sure about his statement; he's going by memory, doesn't cite any references, and explicitly states that he could be wrong. He also doesn't specify what part of the RPi has the limits he describes, so it reads to me like a limit of the HDMI controller. The TinyTOSLINK doesn't use the HDMI controller. It has its own chip that can apparently do 24 bits and higher sampe rates.
What is tinytoslink?

EDIT: Ok googled it. However the fundamental problem is that you cannot do HD audio over toslink, only over HDMI.
(2015-02-13, 03:13)nickr Wrote: EDIT: Ok googled it. However the fundamental problem is that you cannot do HD audio over toslink, only over HDMI.

And now we're back to my original question: What is the limitation upon which you're basing that statement?

Wikipedia says, "TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM." However, I haven't yet found anything that would prevent it from working so long as the sender and receiver can both handle the bandwidth. It sure looks like the sender on this device can handle it. If that's true, it might very well be that it can work with equally capable receivers. That's a lot different from being unable to do it.

I've just posted a question about this where the TinyTOSLINK designer and owners can read it. Hopefully someone will try it, or at least respond with some hard data.
(2015-02-13, 03:42)forest Wrote: And now we're back to my original question: What is the limitation upon which you're basing that statement?

Wikipedia says, "TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM." However, I haven't yet found anything that would prevent it from working so long as the sender and receiver can both handle the bandwidth. It sure looks like the sender on this device can handle it. If that's true, it might very well be that it can work with equally capable receivers. That's a lot different from being unable to do it.

I've just posted a question about this where the TinyTOSLINK designer and owners can read it. Hopefully someone will try it, or at least respond with some hard data.

Haven't you answered your own question?? - "TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM."
(2015-02-13, 04:16)BenH Wrote: Haven't you answered your own question?? - "TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM."

Ha... You believe everything on wikipedia without substantiation? You're funny.

I believe numbers. So far, the numbers I've found for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio appear to fit within the limits of the hardware in question. So, without more information, the claim that it won't work looks a lot like an overgeneralization, which in my experience is quite common in tech fields and even more so on the web. That's why I'm asking questions and searching for more details. It would be pretty sweet if it turned out that we have another option for HD audio, even if it's not within the currently-official TOSLINK spec.

Side note: The capacity constraints in that spec have already been upgraded once since the original spec. I haven't yet seen any reason why they couldn't be upgraded again.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0