• 89(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
Next thing you know, we'll have someone asking for a pony! Oh hang on... /looks 5 posts up Wink
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Lol you cant count Smile
Hah!

I didn't know it was configured to run from a central source to the other installations... I will look into that.

And, I didn't mean to imply you didn't do a great thing here. I am implying that it is amazing that this has been overlooked by the developers so long.
Ok, ran it one both the FireTV stick and on one of my HTPC setups...

First thing, it won't support more than 2 threads on windows Kodi, it causes the app to crash if you specify more than two. Second I had it basically cause that HTPC to actually shut down (ie, call windows shutdown, even though my Kodi config is to sleep not shutdown) and three it is also causing Kodi to crash again.

I am using Kodi 14.1 for windows.

The FireTV stick installation is actually hung. it was doing Caching artwork and it just hung. Again Kodi 14.1 for FireTV.

Lovely tool if it would actually work...
OK, got it to literally hang on both systems at the same point...

Gets to a set of "Caching artwork: 61 items remaining" to start.. Gets down to 0 and hangs.

Yep, consistent on both systems. Let me read through your docs and get a log... again, what a PITA...
For your Windows problems, you probably want to look at this thread.

As for the FireTV, I can't really say what's wrong - has it run out of memory? Anything in kodi.log? Suffice to say, this isn't normal behaviour. Does the FireTV still respond to ping, is Kodi (the GUI) still responding to user input? Also, are you running the script actually *on* the FireTV or *against* the FireTV (ie. running it on something else, like a Windows PC with the IP address of the FireTV)?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I did get the FireTV stick working.. I ended up manually refreshing a couple of movies and it went past the point it was "sticking" on...

In the end it looks like something is hosed with some video lookups... When I setup the FireTV stick I did it with empty thumbnail directories and I used Artwork Downloader to scrape everything from scratch...

Well, needless to say there are at least 15-20%, if not more, of the files that have missing artwork. Even if you do a manual "refresh" on the files individually there is still missing artwork so they show up blank... On some of them even if I go in and choose a different poster and such it still doesn't show up.

Don't know what is up, never had this before. I can see nothing for things that have never been in any of the places it scrapes from, but just blanks for plenty that there should be just doesn't make sense. Hell, I can even see needing to manually do ones that are misspelled and stuff, but that is not the case.

Hopefully it is something that will be fixed, since if this stuff is broken long-term it kinda kills a lot of the reason why you use a system like this to collect and categorize media.
For the record the FireTV stick continued to work just fine... no crashes

Also I was using a windows PC to run the script against the FireTV... I am doing as little as possible on that device...
Just so there is no confusion, you're not trying to share thumbnails using path substitution, are you? That could explain some of your problems.

If there's no path substitution going on, then what errors are you seeing in the kodi log for the artwork that is missing? I'm not sure what you mean by "I can see nothing for things that have never been in any of the places it scrapes from, but just blanks for plenty that there should be".

Bear in mind that the script does no downloading itself - that's all done by Kodi (at the request of the script) so if artwork isn't downloading (and being cached) then it's because Kodi can't access it.

First thing to do would be to confirm you have the correct, accessible URLs in your media library (texturecache.py jd movies <moviename>) - if the artwork is remote (ie. on the internet), use your browser to confirm that the artwork still exists at the specified URL. If it's local, confirm the path is correct and accessible to the Kodi client (and not your Windows PC running the script). If the URL exists/path is correct, then check that kodi doesn't already think it's cached (texturecache.py nc movies <moviename>) should list the URLs that need to be cached - or search the cache with "texturecache.py s <partial-url>".

If your Textures13.db is out of sync with your Thumbnails folder, then you could fix this with "texturecache.py Xd" however this *does* require the script to run directly on the client, unless you can mount the client's Thumbnails folder on the Windows PC that is running the script (specify the path to userdata with the @userdata property).

Since you say your system is comprised mostly of Windows clients, ensure you have scraped your library using local drives (C:\, D:\, Z:\ etc.) as the FireTV will not be able to access these - use smb:// instead.

Other than that, avoid using remote artwork, it's going to cause a lot of problems with 17 systems. You can use mklocal.py to convert remote artwork to local, or use mklocal.py to load your media library with local artwork (search thread for more details).
Is there somewhere I can find a NOOB version set of instructions on how to download and run mklocal.py?
Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but I have been trying to figure this out for myself for a couple of days now and had made zero progress.
I have very little experience with linux.

I downloaded mklocal using the curl command using the same syntax used to download texturecache.py but when enter "./mklocal.py --help" I always get the following message: "./mklocal.py: line 4: syntax error: unexpected newline
"

I accidentally deleted all the clearlogo artwork from my media folders but the links to the files still exist in the MySQL database which I am assuming is preventing Kodi from re-downloading the missing artwork. From what I have been able to interpret I think that the mklocal.py script can help me resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Please ignore my last post (unfortunately I cannot delete it). I obviously screwed something up when I attempted to download the script the first time. I attempted it again and now I can actually run the script. So I am a little farther now. Smile
Now I should be able to review the posts in this thread and figure out what I suppose to do.
(2015-02-19, 16:02)Computer Joe Wrote: Is there somewhere I can find a NOOB version set of instructions on how to download and run mklocal.py?

No, sorry. It's been discussed (at length) several times and a quick search of this thread should give you enough detail to get you on your way. A write up would be nice but not something I've gotten around to.

(2015-02-19, 16:02)Computer Joe Wrote: I downloaded mklocal using the curl command using the same syntax used to download texturecache.py but when enter "./mklocal.py --help" I always get the following message: "./mklocal.py: line 4: syntax error: unexpected newline
"

It would have helped enormously if you'd mentioned the exact command you used to perform the download. I can only imagine you've downloaded a web page instead of the source code. Take a look at what you've downloaded, does it look like Python code or HTML?

Anyway, I've tested the following and it works:
Code:
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py/master/tools/mklocal.py -o mklocal.py
chmod +x ./mklocal.py

(2015-02-19, 16:02)Computer Joe Wrote: I accidentally deleted all the clearlogo artwork from my media folders but the links to the files still exist in the MySQL database which I am assuming is preventing Kodi from re-downloading the missing artwork. From what I have been able to interpret I think that the mklocal.py script can help me resolve this problem.

Yes, it should help clean that up - you'll want to use "--artwork clearlogo --nokeep" as parameters so that any logo artwork which can't be found locally, and which can't be downloaded from a remote site, will be marked for removal.
(2015-02-19, 16:38)Milhouse Wrote: It would have helped enormously if you'd mentioned the exact command you used to perform the download. I can only imagine you've downloaded a web page instead of the source code. Take a look at what you've downloaded, does it look like Python code or HTML?

Anyway, I've tested the following and it works:
Code:
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py/master/tools/mklocal.py -o mklocal.py
chmod +x ./mklocal.py

You are correct. The contents of my mktool.py originally looked like html. I have no idea how I managed that because I was quite certain that I entered the same command that you mentioned above. But when I tried it again this morning (AFTER I posted the first message) it worked properly.
I should have thought to check the contents of the file sooner. Up until that time I was certain that I was missing a key piece of information because I was not able to reproduce anything I was seeing in this thread. Now the I have successfully downloaded the script I can see that this thread absolutely contains enough information to use the tool.

Thanks for the reply and help.
I noticed that when initiating a scan via script, that the Recently added Videos Widgets or whatever they called in confluence home menu, dont get updated to reflect the recently added anymore.

This is with a spanking fresh 14.04lts install on a nightly compile. Have you noticed anything like this?
Yeah, I normally go into the Recently Added list then back to Home, which causes the widgets to refresh and show the correct/latest details.

In the absence of a proper fix (ideally, the VideoScanner should kick the widget refresh on finish) you could script the work around, so that it happens automatically if you wanted to....

Assuming your Home menu is "Pictures | Videos | Movies | TV Shows | Music | Programs | System", then the following command will select Movies, enter "Recently Added" (first submenu item), then exit back to the home menu which should cause the widgets to refresh:
Code:
./texturecache.py input home executeaction firstpage right right down executeaction firstpage select back

It's also possible that just the following will work too:
Code:
./texturecache.py input home

as simply reloading the Home menu seems to invoke the widget refresh queries.

Of course either method could be a bit antisocial if someone is watching a video at the time, although you could check "./texturecache.py status" and skip the widget refresh when a player is active as the refresh should happen once the player is stopped (I think).
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17