Ramdisk for time shifting when Kodi is running
I have an HTPC which also serves as my gaming PC running Windows 8.1.
Did some minor research in a good backend server and that seems to be Argus TV for windows. (Not posting it in the argus tv subforum as this is a general PVR/ramdisk question.)
The fastest temporary storage for time shifting is a ramdisk of course.
I don't know how these things work, but given that there is specific settings for this in argus tv I'm assuming that you'd have to use a third party ramdisk tool and you can reference it as any other path.

When I'm not running Kodi, I want to use all RAM available of course, so I would not like it to have to reserve let's say 4GB of RAM purely for time shifting even if I'm gaming and not watching telly.
It would be great if I could create the ramdisk when Kodi starts up and 'destroy' it when Kodi quits.

Is that possible? Anyone done such a thing?
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
Hi and thanks for your reply. Could you post the link to the iOS app? Sounds good Smile

___

You can easily check out our high quality Testking cissp certification which prepares security+ certification well for the You can also get success in real with the qualitywww.rasmussen.edu
(2015-02-20, 16:45)tripkip Wrote: When I'm not running Kodi, I want to use all RAM available of course, so I would not like it to have to reserve let's say 4GB of RAM purely for time shifting even if I'm gaming and not watching telly.
It would be great if I could create the ramdisk when Kodi starts up and 'destroy' it when Kodi quits.

Is that possible? Anyone done such a thing?

Found this article: http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/create-10-gb...k-windows/
Seems to me that you can configure ImDisk to create and mount a RAM disk at boot time AND tell it to allocate the needed RAM dynamically, so that it should be using near to zero RAM when nothing stores data to the RAM disk.
I must admit, though, that I didn't try it, yet, but maybe it's worth a shot.

EDIT
Tried it:
- made a 8GB RAMdisk, the process needed ~20MB of RAM
- copied 2GB of data to it, the process then needed <2,1GB of RAM
- deleted the files and the process allocated ~20MB again

Nice idea, I'm now considering to use a RAMdisk for timeshift on my HTPC in the livingroom as well Smile (I guess this would help to spare its SSD concerning writes...)
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Hi Fry7. I discovered the dynamic option too. Works great. Thanks.
Untested, but this bat file (run at start) should allow you to share the folder after ImDisk creates it.
'D' is the virtual disk that is created by ImDisk.
Code:
NETSHARE "RamDisk" ="D:/" /GRANT:"Guest",FULL
(2015-03-02, 16:05)tripkip Wrote:
Code:
NETSHARE "RamDisk" ="D:/" /GRANT:"Guest",FULL

Typo... Smile

Code:
NET SHARE "RamDisk"="D:\" /GRANT:"Guest",FULL

...and maybe:

Code:
CACLS "D:\" /E /G Guest:F
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
I don't see how there could be any benefit to this? Doesn't Kodi already cache to Ram unless you put it at 0?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ramdisk for time shifting when Kodi is running0