• 15(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
(2015-03-03, 16:14)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 15:13)probedb Wrote: So TrueHD decoding is possible so we can get lossless audio from that, but DTS-MA HD cannot be decoded or passed through, so you can't get lossless DTS content on a RPi2?

Correct. In theory DTS-MA HD is a software problem. Once ffmpeg supports it, then you will get lossless DTS-MA HD on Pi 2 but there is no guarantee that will happen anytime soon.

Platforms that support lossless DTS-MA HD are pretty rare. Probably a Chromebox is the best option.

Well basically any x86 machine with HDMI out.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-03, 16:14)popcornmix Wrote: Platforms that support lossless DTS-MA HD are pretty rare. Probably a Chromebox is the best option.
Apart from nVidia, AMD and Intel based x86 boxes made in the last 4 years or so - with a couple of exceptions? (The Chromebox is just an x86 Celeron box really)
(2015-03-03, 20:39)nickr Wrote: Well basically any x86 machine with HDMI out.

That makes the choice somewhat easier Smile Thanks!!
I'm having issues playing AAC 5.1 files from the rpi2.
Before that I had a atom media center and the sounds was ok.

Is there a settings that needs to be disabled/enabled? It seems that only specific channels getted passed trough because I can hear background noise but no voices etc.
(2015-03-08, 21:49)jverdeyen Wrote: I'm having issues playing AAC 5.1 files from the rpi2.

Is there a settings that needs to be disabled/enabled? It seems that only specific channels getted passed trough because I can hear background noise but no voices etc.

Sounds like you have "number of channels" set too high for your audio equipment.
Try setting to 2.
(2015-03-08, 21:49)jverdeyen Wrote: I'm having issues playing AAC 5.1 files from the rpi2.

How are you connecting your Pi 2 to your TV or Amp.

How many audio channels does your TV or Amp support ?

Are you transcoding to Dolby Digital or decoding?
RPI2 -> Samsung LED TV (UF8500) -> SONOS PLAYBAR

I'm using the same Kodi build on a Atom mediaplayer (Xtreamer Ultra) with the same settings (stock), without any issues.

TV supports DTS/AC3/5.1 etc..
I'm using passthrough with DTS/AC3 capable.

Is it possible to decode/encode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1? Because all DD5.1 and DTS movies/episodes are playing fine.
(2015-03-09, 09:21)jverdeyen Wrote: RPI2 -> Samsung LED TV (UF8500) -> SONOS PLAYBAR

I'm using the same Kodi build on a Atom mediaplayer (Xtreamer Ultra) with the same settings (stock), without any issues.

TV supports DTS/AC3/5.1 etc..
I'm using passthrough with DTS/AC3 capable.

Is it possible to decode/encode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1? Because all DD5.1 and DTS movies/episodes are playing fine.

Try This
(2015-03-09, 09:21)jverdeyen Wrote: Is it possible to decode/encode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1? Because all DD5.1 and DTS movies/episodes are playing fine.

Yes. Make sure "number of channels" is set to 2, and enable AC3 passthrough and enable "Dolby Digital transocoding"
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Audio_output
(2015-03-09, 14:04)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 09:21)jverdeyen Wrote: Is it possible to decode/encode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1? Because all DD5.1 and DTS movies/episodes are playing fine.

Yes. Make sure "number of channels" is set to 2, and enable AC3 passthrough and enable "Dolby Digital transocoding"
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Audio_output

That did the trick. I shoud RTFM :-)

Didn't knew it would ignore the passtrough. Thx!
Hi all new here.

I've had a pi1 rev b 512ram model for a while using it on xbmc/kodi using raspbmc

thinking of getting a pi2

my question is would i see a noticable difference in picture quality while streaming live tv as on a 46" tv it's not the best quality

also would using openElec be better than using raspbmc

cheers
john
Having owned both, a fully Overclocked RPi1 and now a RPi2 - the answer is the picture quality is exactly the same.
Deinterlacing is the same on both for Live TV as well.

The GPU/VPU was not upgraded, just the CPU cores and memory I understand.

Kodi GUI is a wee bit faster, and you can now do more than one thing in the background such as running a TvHeadend server and the Kodi client on the one Pi 2.

OpenElec and RaspBMC are speedwise - neck and neck.
People generally migrate to Openelec initially as it is a bit less confusing to setup with fewer options to baffle the Newb.

Thanks wrxtasy, thats exactly the answer i wanted even though i was hoping it would be an improvement but understand why it wouldn't be.

cheers

edited to add, do you have a ASUS Chromebox, as i guess a machine like that would give me a better picture quality...?
Why do you say that?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Chromebox will do a better deinterlace of native interlaced content (though the MMAL stuff in the Pi / Pi 2 is not terrible and is x2), and may do a better SD to HD upscale than the Pi/Pi2 (but again the Pi does a pretty good job), but for 1080p output at 1080p there probably isn't much of a quality difference.

Garbage in, garbage out. Quality in, quality out.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0