BUG: Black screen when returning after watching in 23.976hz.
Hi,

When syncing screen to movie fps (23.976) I have this problem. The movie starts playing, so far so good, BUT when I press stop and it should sync back to 60hz, the HDMI handshake goes bananas and I'm left with a blue screen (no input). I'm using openelec 5.0.5 on an RPI 2 connected to an Onkyo 616. Only way to fix it is switching inputs on the receiver back and forth so it redo the handshake.

I've tried to delay the handshake with the pause option when changing refreshrate, but it only seems to be pausing when starting to play, not when going back to the menu.

I've used a windowsbased HTPC with mediaportal for the last 5 years without any of these problems, and the last years with the same Onkyo receiver.

Are there any known bug or fix for this issue?

Thanks!

Update1: It seems after it has done a refreshrate change from 60 or 50 hz down to 23.396 it can't go back up by trying to change through the menu interface. Highest it can go back up to is 30hz without manually reloading the input on the receiver. Very strange I must say, when using the same input on the receiver with the windows htpc with mediaportal it switches back and forth without any problems (using an ati card in that one).

Update2: Now I tried setting the menu interface refreshrate to 1080p/30hz, now it switches fine to 23.976hz and reverts fine back to 30hz, but if I try to change it from 30 to 60 in the settings menu it won't work without manually reloading the input on the receiver. BUT if I instead start a youtube video the refreshrate changes from 30hz to 60hz duing the video playback and reverts back down to 30hz afterwards.

Can someone explain this? Somehow is the refreshrate change when starting a youtube video different from changing the refreshrate in the settingsmenu. A bug that effects just certain setups?
First I've heard of an issue like this.
I assuming disabling "adjust display refresh..." avoids the problem?
Might be worth disabling CEC just in case.
Might be worth disabling hotplug and edid reading here.
Also try config_hdmi_boost from here.

I don't expect these suggestions to help. Perhaps check for a firmware update to the Onkyo?
I have an Onkyo 609 which doesn't have this problem.
Hi thanks for the input.

I noticed the same problem when rebooting, need to switch input back and forth to get back the picture after a reboot. If I disable "adjust display refresh" the problem goes away but I really hate the 3:2 pulldown, too choppy for me.

I've disabled hotplug (was already) and di the edid reading. Also tried the config_hdmi_boost... No change... also updated to latest firmware for the onkyo earlier tonight.

It's like it won't send a new handshake when it changes refreshrate back from 23.976 or when it boots.

Update1: It seems after it has done a refreshrate change from 60 or 50 hz down to 23.396 it can't go back up by trying to change through the menu interface. Highest it can go back up to is 30hz without manually reloading the input on the receiver. Very strange I must say, when using the same input on the receiver with the windows htpc with mediaportal it switches back and forth without any problems (using an ati card in that one).

Update2: Now I tried setting the menu interface refreshrate to 1080p/30hz, now it switches fine to 23.976hz and reverts fine back to 30hz, but if I try to change it from 30 to 60 in the settings menu it won't work without manually reloading the input on the receiver. BUT if I instead start a youtube video the refreshrate changes from 30hz to 60hz duing the video playback and reverts back down to 30hz afterwards.

Can someone explain this? Somehow is the refreshrate change when starting a youtube video different from changing the refreshrate in the settingsmenu. Bug that effects just certain setups?
(2015-03-04, 01:41)Fade Wrote: Update2: Now I tried setting the menu interface refreshrate to 1080p/30hz, now it switches fine to 23.976hz and reverts fine back to 30hz, but if I try to change it from 30 to 60 in the settings menu it won't work without manually reloading the input on the receiver. BUT if I instead start a youtube video the refreshrate changes from 30hz to 60hz duing the video playback and reverts back down to 30hz afterwards.

Can someone explain this? Somehow is the refreshrate change when starting a youtube video different from changing the refreshrate in the settingsmenu. Bug that effects just certain setups?[/i]

That's default Kodi behaviour. It picks the *highest* multiple of the framerate. So if you are currently at 30Hz, and play a 30fps video, it will switch to 60Hz if supported.
You can probably avoid that behaviour with adjustrefreshrate/override to force ~30 to 30Hz and ~25 to 25Hz.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml
(2015-03-04, 13:38)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 01:41)Fade Wrote: Update2: Now I tried setting the menu interface refreshrate to 1080p/30hz, now it switches fine to 23.976hz and reverts fine back to 30hz, but if I try to change it from 30 to 60 in the settings menu it won't work without manually reloading the input on the receiver. BUT if I instead start a youtube video the refreshrate changes from 30hz to 60hz duing the video playback and reverts back down to 30hz afterwards.

Can someone explain this? Somehow is the refreshrate change when starting a youtube video different from changing the refreshrate in the settingsmenu. Bug that effects just certain setups?[/i]

That's default Kodi behaviour. It picks the *highest* multiple of the framerate. So if you are currently at 30Hz, and play a 30fps video, it will switch to 60Hz if supported.
You can probably avoid that behaviour with adjustrefreshrate/override to force ~30 to 30Hz and ~25 to 25Hz.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml

Hi, I think you misunderstood me. How come the switch to 60hz works from a GUI refreshrate of 30hz when starting to play a video. BUT it does not work if I switch it in the GUI setup? Look at the last two rows of the tests below.

Here I set the GUI to use different refreshrates, then I try to play a 24p movie and then I stop it. When I stop it and it should return to the GUI I get NO PICTURE in some modes. Se below.
60hz UI -> 23.976 video -> 60hz UI = no picture when returning to gui
50hz UI -> 23.976 video -> 50hz UI = no picture when returning to gui
30hz UI -> 23.976 video -> 30hz UI = PICTURE

Here I just stay in the Setup changing from 60hz to 23.976hz which works fine, BUT when I try to change back from 23.976 to 60 hz I get no picture.
60hz UI -> 23.976 UI -> 60hz UI = no picture

But if I instead of using the setup to change back to 60hz from 23.976hz I start playing a youtube video, it sync fine to 60hz.
60hz UI -> 23.976 UI -> 60hz youtube video = PICTURE

That can't be the intended way this works in openelec/kodi, it must be a bug.
(2015-03-04, 16:49)Fade Wrote: That can't be the intended way this works in openelec/kodi, it must be a bug.

But it's only you that has this problem. There are hundreds of thousands of people using Kodi on Pi with HDMI who don't have this issue.
I'm sure there is a bug somewhere, but it may well be in your receiver/TV.

Can you try the same experiment with a different TV/receiver (or with the receiver bypassed and connected directly to TV)?
(2015-03-04, 22:03)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 16:49)Fade Wrote: That can't be the intended way this works in openelec/kodi, it must be a bug.

But it's only you that has this problem. There are hundreds of thousands of people using Kodi on Pi with HDMI who don't have this issue.

Can you try the same experiment with a different TV/receiver (or with the receiver bypassed and connected directly to TV)?

Yeah, receiver works fine. Atleast it works fine with all other devices which do refreshrate changes, bluray players, mediaportal, AND when changing refreshrate in KODI when starting to play a movie. That's why I wondered if there was something that kodi does different when changing the refreshrate when starting to play a video compared to returning from it (to gui).

Anyway, the workaround running in 30hz with refreshrate change enabled works fine since the video initiated refreshrate works fine.

Edit: Are there actually already several hundreds of thousands that is running openelec 5.0.5 with the RPI2? People are quite quick upgrading... Just tried a friends Pi2 with same image, it works so I guess my unit is faulty somehow.
Dom, noticed the same thing a couple of times on my rpi2 running osmc alpha 4. The screen stays black for a something close to half a minute and then it returns to the menu.

I'll try and reproduce it over the weekend and maybe provide some logs.
(2015-03-04, 22:12)Fade Wrote: b]Just tried a friends Pi2 with same image, it works so I guess my unit is faulty somehow.[/b]

Was this with your receiver/TV? Just the Pi2 was swapped?
(2015-03-05, 16:11)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 22:12)Fade Wrote: b]Just tried a friends Pi2 with same image, it works so I guess my unit is faulty somehow.[/b]

Was this with your receiver/TV? Just the Pi2 was swapped?

Yes his works fine in my receiver on the same hdmi input. Very weird, but since mine works as long as I run GUI resolution at 30hz I can live with it.

Now I instead got another problem, audio dropouts for about 2 sec once every 15th minute. Probably the same issue as these people: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212626 . But I'm not willing to disable refresh rate sync because that's cause movies to stutter which is a bigger problem. Hopefully there's another fix for it.
(2015-03-05, 20:21)Fade Wrote: Now I instead got another problem, audio dropouts for about 2 sec once every 15th minute. Probably the same issue as these people: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212626 . But I'm not willing to disable refresh rate sync because that's cause movies to stutter which is a bigger problem. Hopefully there's another fix for it.

Try this suggestion:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1946941
(2015-03-04, 22:03)popcornmix Wrote:

Sorry to dig this, but no, he is not alone. I also have this problem. With a different onkyo.
And I have also this problem with a Denon

Solved as suggested over with GUI at 30hz

Thank you really much for this solution

EDIT: just realized that this is rpi forum (found this post with google), and i have a Intel Nuc, but the solution is the same Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BUG: Black screen when returning after watching in 23.976hz.0