• 84(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hi & I hope I'm in the correct section. I have a cyclone nano 2 slim with "AML 8726- MX".. I bought this box a while ago pre-installed with jinxbox m6 linux, I updated it this morning to the "version 1 Helix compiled 19-01-2015" from the start of this thread & it loaded without any problems, however, I thought after reading some of the threads on this post I would try to go back to android so, I downloaded the following from here;
"ither way you still have to first revert to Android 4.1 using the appropriate revert image files. You can download a copy of this Android 4.1 revert file from my Dropbox if you wish by clicking HERE I take absolutely no credit for these images files as they were produced by one of our brilliant compilers on this forum though cannot remember which of them prepped this one. Note in the readme file that the first attempt will throw a fail, and this is normal, so just do as instructed and repeat the process and all will be well. Once you are reverted to Android 4.1 you can then flash the Linux Frodo 12.3 compile dated 2nd January 2014 which I have also made available in my Dropbox HERE As always you do all this at your own risk of course. Both of these linked to files are only supplied by myself for your convenience as I repeat that neither of them do I take any credit for as they are both way beyond my abilities." This is where my problem started, in the read me text it says that when you install the 1st. time it will fail but just unplug the power & install again & all will be fine, no such luck, when I tried to reinstall I put the sd card in pressed the reset button & then plugged the lead back in & nothing at all no recovery screen or anything & on the front of the box all I have is red lights no blue like there used to be. ANY help at all will be greatly appreciated Thank you very, very, very much in advance Huh Huh Huh
(2015-03-07, 20:48)joshua99 Wrote: Hi & I hope I'm in the correct section. I have a cyclone nano 2 slim with "AML 8726- MX".. I bought this box a while ago pre-installed with jinxbox m6 linux, I updated it this morning to the "version 1 Helix compiled 19-01-2015" from the start of this thread & it loaded without any problems, however, I thought after reading some of the threads on this post I would try to go back to android so, I downloaded the following from here;
"ither way you still have to first revert to Android 4.1 using the appropriate revert image files. You can download a copy of this Android 4.1 revert file from my Dropbox if you wish by clicking HERE I take absolutely no credit for these images files as they were produced by one of our brilliant compilers on this forum though cannot remember which of them prepped this one. Note in the readme file that the first attempt will throw a fail, and this is normal, so just do as instructed and repeat the process and all will be well. Once you are reverted to Android 4.1 you can then flash the Linux Frodo 12.3 compile dated 2nd January 2014 which I have also made available in my Dropbox HERE As always you do all this at your own risk of course. Both of these linked to files are only supplied by myself for your convenience as I repeat that neither of them do I take any credit for as they are both way beyond my abilities." This is where my problem started, in the read me text it says that when you install the 1st. time it will fail but just unplug the power & install again & all will be fine, no such luck, when I tried to reinstall I put the sd card in pressed the reset button & then plugged the lead back in & nothing at all no recovery screen or anything & on the front of the box all I have is red lights no blue like there used to be. ANY help at all will be greatly appreciated Thank you very, very, very much in advance Huh Huh Huh

Try making a bootcard.
Download this and follow the instructions
Revert to Android Bootcard
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2015-03-07, 20:48)joshua99 Wrote: Hi & I hope I'm in the correct section. I have a cyclone nano 2 slim with "AML 8726- MX".. I bought this box a while ago pre-installed with jinxbox m6 linux, I updated it this morning to the "version 1 Helix compiled 19-01-2015" from the start of this thread & it loaded without any problems, however, I thought after reading some of the threads on this post I would try to go back to android so, I downloaded the following from here;

Never had that revert build fail joshua99 so that is strange, and others here have used it with much success too Huh. Note it does often take a good few minutes on the second boot for some action to appear on your screen so patience is a necessity here as all appears dead with that blank screen seeming to stay there for eternity.. You must NEVER unplug the power during this wait period else you will brick your box, almost for sure. I have used that revert compile for a few friends to unbrick their boxes too so if you are bricked you could maybe try again, but you have bricked from it seems aborting during installing that same compile anyway, so cannot be sure it will still unbrick it for you, but worth a try. Whatever you do you must be patient and wait with a blank screen display for several minutes sometimes.

Personally when you had Linux Helix 14.0 running, unless you just wanted to risk experimenting, then I would have left it all alone and enjoyed the latest firmware which works very well. However the latest Linux Helix 14.0 compile I have is dated 27th January 2015 and I think it came from Bobones, and that one I have found is not only the latest available but for me it seems to be the best of them all so far.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time out to try & help me.
@ raymw I followed the read me instructions in the download, I THINK, it says it will fail the 1st time & to unplug the machine & install again which I did but thinking back the last message i seen I think was "clearing cache failed" now I do not know if this was too early or not but it was at that point when I unplugged it.
@ AuXBoX I tried installing the link you sent this morning but the box is dead I think it's a case of "the lights are on but there's nobody in". All I have on the front is the red lights whereas I used to have red & blue & nothing comes up on the screen at all. Again thank you very much for trying & if you can think of any thing else I can try I will be very grateful.Huh Huh Huh
Joshua99 well that first time that it fails, by design of course, it will stop doing anything more and just show you a fallen over android icon with I think from memory a red coloured exclamation mark through it. Then it is safe to unplug the box and repeat the process once again always holding in the reset button with a toothpick before you power back up and keeping it held in for 10- 15 seconds after plugging the power back in to let the auto flash process begin. Only use an SD card and not a USB stick.

I have found for me the only way I have unbricked ATV1200 boxes I have been sent is with the Revert to android files I sent you but onto a clean SD card. So suggest that you try again using that card but always make sure you wait until the fail is complete and then again wait for quite a while for the second boot up installation routine to start. It does take some while as the Android 4.1 files it installs are quite large. Once you have Android 4.1 back installed it is plain sailing to install Bobones 27th January Linux Helix 14.0 compile in the usual way, again make sure you wait for the installation to start as it also will show a blank screen for a while before the Linux penguin graphic and install progress bar pops up.

I wish you the best of luck with it but I am sure your box can be unbricked without shorting pins out etc.
Cheers
Raymw
(2015-03-08, 11:54)joshua99 Wrote: Hi, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time out to try & help me.
@ raymw I followed the read me instructions in the download, I THINK, it says it will fail the 1st time & to unplug the machine & install again which I did but thinking back the last message i seen I think was "clearing cache failed" now I do not know if this was too early or not but it was at that point when I unplugged it.
@ AuXBoX I tried installing the link you sent this morning but the box is dead I think it's a case of "the lights are on but there's nobody in". All I have on the front is the red lights whereas I used to have red & blue & nothing comes up on the screen at all. Again thank you very much for trying & if you can think of any thing else I can try I will be very grateful.Huh Huh Huh

If you have a red light it's still fixable.
Hello yet again, which of the files should I try again, The "android 4.1 revert", or the "revert to android boot card"?
Thanks a lot. Josh.
Hi, just to update you, I tried installing both files (been on just about all day) on different sd cards; inserting card, pressing the reset button for at least 30 secs whilst plugging the mains in & nothing at all. My tv screen just says hdmi 2 unplugged & never changes. I've left them for about 2 hours each & zilch, nothing apart from the red light on the front. The box does not get warm or anything, obviously with the red light being on the power is into the box but nothing coming out. Any other advise or help PLEASE. Sad Sad Sad
cheers. Josh.
Well never had that problem Joshua as the Revert to Android compile I sent you has worked every time for me. Maybe I have been lucky or you unlucky. There are various fixes I have seen here involving shorting pins and using ssh via Putty but never used those methods myself so have to leave it to one of the other far more capable guys than myself. Sorry to hear you are having these problems, very annoying indeed and hope you get it sorted soon.

As an aside, you only need hold the reset button in for 10 to 15 seconds after power on and no more. Make sure the reset button is held in with your toothpick at the time you apply the power back to the box. I usually leave the PSU plugged into the mains and just remove the power barrel plug from the box and re-insert it to power it back up (with the reset button pressed in of course)
Cheers
Raymw
joshua99
If you open your box and send me a pic ill tell you which ones to short
I have been told by my Chinese supplier that Geniatech no longer make or even now stock the ATV1200 box sadly as I find this the best and most practical Amlogic box available right now as it fully supports Linux MX KODI unlike the quad core boxes. However they do still supply the dual core ATV1220 which I understand is basically the same as the ATV1200 but with added DVB-T.

So two questions. Firstly will I be able to flash these 1220 boxes to the latest Linux Helix 14.0 compile as I can do with the 1200 boxes ? Secondly this DVB-T could be useful as we have now DVB-T2 here in Thailand, so can I assume this will work with Linux MX KODI as well as with the native Android 4.2 ?? And a related extra question of course is that if either of those two answers is no then does anyone here know if and when that will be put right as is surely much needed by most users ??

Of course it would be good if the new quad core boxes like the ATV 1800 could have Linux-MX KODI builds available for them too, with or without DVB-T. Although I do not see the need for the power of quad core processing for the use of these media streaming boxes, it seems that soon these will be the only Amlogic boxes available sadly so we will definitely all be forced to need Linux MX KODI for them. My supplier in China is taking up this quad core Linux MX availability issue directly with Geniatech and will let me know of any feedback from them.

To me the importance of Linux MX KODI for the new quad core boxes is of the highest importance of course else we will all be stuck with the Android slow old bloatware which will be bad news indeed for most of us and a definite retrograde step for these wonderful media streaming boxes IMHO. Maybe at least these Amlogic dual core CMX boxes could be the saviour for us, but at a cost to Geniatech if they do nothing about righting this problem.
Cheers
Raymw
hey guys, quick question and I know it's been answered here somewhere.

I upgraded a friends atv520. 1080p appears in a small window now, about a quarter of the size of the screen. I believe there's a config file I need to delete or modify?

edit: nevermind. deleted guisettings.xml. all good now Smile
joshua99
I've emailed you
Hi AuXBoX

The post where you mentioned the AmLogic AML8726-MX was the most stable device you have used for Linux-MX was of particular interest to me. The only issue I have with the ATV1200 now is that as you know it likes to freeze from time to time. I seem to have less problems with it freezing as long as the RSS feed is turned on (which I assume in this instance acts like a screensaver in some ways keeping the screen active).

Now I would buy a AML8726-MX but I believe it doesn't have a coaxial out (only S/PDIF optical).

I like to connect to my surround system via coaxial, and I wondered in your opinion what box out there is the most stable solution for Linux/Kodi with the coaxial option, I'm guessing at the moment it is the ATV1200? I would really value hearing what you might think on the matter.

Cheers

Pete
(2015-03-11, 12:44)AuXBoX Wrote: joshua99
I've emailed you

Thank you very much, will try to sort it later & let you know the result.
josh.
  • 84(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5