• 8(current)
New HiMedia Q5
Damn pity
So the only holdback is atmos?
Maybe get a eu model?
EU version will do ATMOS with APK patch available (confirmed by some here & at Futeko forum). The other caveats are lack of 23.976 (micro stutters noticeable occasionally) and not as buttery smooth, film-like PQ as Chromebox. The occasional 23.976 micro stutters may bother some, others not. When I watched a 2 hour movie, I mostly noticed really only when I was on the lookout.

I like the Q5 enough that I just ordered from Futeko. E-mail Simon at [email protected] & ask for a PayPal invoice. You need to provide your U.S. zip. Price shipped is (about $15-20) higher however. Also, factor in cost of USA adapter/plug. Planning to eBay off the Chinese version I have.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-03-13, 22:16)hdmkv Wrote: Okay, after more testing, I've updated my review here. Basically, PQ not as good as Chromebox (which has buttery smooth, film-like playback, while Q5 looks slightly more digital or processed). Also, I don't get audio with anything ATMOS (as my unit won't accept HiMedia's ATMOS patch). I looked at the Chinese forum (using Google Translate), but doesn't appear there's an ATMOS patch for Q5's for China market.

At this point, as badly as I want a single do-it-all player, I'm leaning toward keeping Chromebox for everything non-3D, and sticking with my Mede8er 600X3D for 3D ISO's. While the Q5 4K is better than VidOn in many respects, it still can't match M8R for 3D, nor match Chromebox for 2D PQ and speed. For AQ, both M8R and Chromebox support ATMOS, while appears only the EU versions of Q5 do.

no quote, with my device Hi Q5 have best VPU bets quality

(2015-03-13, 23:20)hdmkv Wrote: Q5 is a step (or couple of steps) forward from VidOn, but not quite there with Android.

for 3-4 step forward for any android box

(2015-03-14, 10:09)Skank Wrote: Damn pity
So the only holdback is atmos?
Maybe get a eu model?

the big missing:
- with KODI SMB network should have NO User ID and Password.
- no autoswtich fps 50<>60 hrz , only 50<>24/ 60<>24, but there is button tv mode on remote,it's more EU problem .

little missing:
- no STOP button ....whyHuh
- not stand-by only on/off
- no debug info

(2015-03-14, 16:24)hdmkv
04 Wrote:
I like the Q5 enough that I just ordered from Futeko. E-mail Simon at [email protected] & ask for a PayPal invoice. You need to provide your U.S. zip. Price shipped is (about $15-20) higher however. Also, factor in cost of USA adapter/plug. Planning to eBay off the Chinese version I have.

following the white dragon?

box have UK AC.

PS: loon = dragon in chinese.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Yep, found a $5 U.S. plug off eBay that should work with box. Re: video quality looun (or Mr. White Dragon if you prefer Wink), I'll verify after I get EU version. Maybe the slightly different hardware internals & different firmware for EU makes some difference? Dunno.
My HT
(2015-03-14, 21:06)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, found a $5 U.S. plug off eBay that should work with box. Re: video quality looun (or Mr. White Dragon if you prefer Wink), I'll verify after I get EU version. Maybe the slightly different hardware internals & different firmware for EU makes some difference? Dunno.

Quality is personal and dependent to output device, i think.

I have panasonic plasma with Q5 Full 3D is perfect, the best i have try.
Tron, transformers, startrek, Dredd Shark 3d (2004) is awesome!
Glasses 3d no flickering, image are more stable, support external subtitle with option( size position ) i like to see in original language.

Q5 2D some time is better ( gradient color more linear ), some time worst ( dark scene loss some detail ).

i don't think there differnt hardware, perhaps differnt SW in china is more use for streaming less for play file i suppose.
there is two version of hi3798: 3798C PK 3798M, i never found the differences.....
and many himedia .... Q5 Q10 M3 Q15 Q12 ASZ-X6 ecc..
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
So, I just received my 2nd HiMedia Q5, which I had mistakenly ordered & wasn't able to cancel in time. Surprisingly, it's the English version, slightly different hardware (updated version I believe), likely same as EU. This was from niking-niking off eBay. The remote is English, as is the HiMedia logo on top/sides of the unit.
My HT
(2015-03-18, 00:37)hdmkv Wrote: So, I just received my 2nd HiMedia Q5, which I had mistakenly ordered & wasn't able to cancel in time. Surprisingly, it's the English version, slightly different hardware (updated version I believe), likely same as EU. This was from niking-niking off eBay. The remote is English, as is the HiMedia logo on top/sides of the unit.

Can you do some( mainboard and case ) photo?
(2015-03-18, 00:37)hdmkv Wrote: So, I just received my 2nd HiMedia Q5, which I had mistakenly ordered & wasn't able to cancel in time. Surprisingly, it's the English version, slightly different hardware (updated version I believe), likely same as EU. This was from niking-niking off eBay. The remote is English, as is the HiMedia logo on top/sides of the unit.

New review?
Here's what the inside looks like (same as Chinese Q5 4K):

How many variations of Q5 4K are there?! Already 3: EU version w/thermal pads & slightly different internals, English version w/same internals as China version, but English logos and English remote, and the Chinese China market version.

Will test this English version from China w/English remote to see whether it takes the normal HiMediaWrapper APK and mostly importantly the Dolby ATMOS patch, which the China market version didn't.
My HT
(2015-03-18, 16:12)hdmkv Wrote: Here's what the inside looks like (same as Chinese Q5 4K):
How many variations of Q5 4K are there?! Already 3: EU version w/thermal pads & slightly different internals, English version w/same internals as China version, but English logos and English remote, and the Chinese China market version.

Will test this English version from China w/English remote to see whether it takes the normal HiMediaWrapper APK and mostly importantly the Dolby ATMOS patch, which the China market version didn't.

eu version don't have thermal pads( i saw inside with light ), i'm wrong.
the big questions if the mainboard is different.
futeko report:
Code:
This listing is for the latest hardware revision quad-core Q5 4K3D, manufactured after October 2014. There was an earlier version released only in China with lower specification and a different firmware.

I think that futeko rom insert play store support, but i think it's easy to add.

PS I can't open because there is warranty stickers.
Hey hdmkv I got same one you just got and I was able to flash with futeko latest version ,wrapper and atomic patch work fine. Played everything i throw at it. You have to play with the settings for picture and making stop and go back to kodi once the movie is finish. Much more stable than vidon.
looun, no, bdreams is correct. The new version Q5 4K I got (English branding) I believe is the same as Futeko's. It came with 1.0.4 and I upgraded just fine to 1.0.7 using Futeko's firmware. Was also able to apply Dolby ATMOS patch just fine (unlike China branded player). So, I think we can confirm for now that there are two distinct builds of Q5 4K: China market and English versions. Different firmwares, UI's, box brandings, ATMOS vs. not, and possibly slightly different internals.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I find the English version's PQ slightly better. Need to test a 23.976 video for 20-30 minutes to see if I notice some micro-stutters as with Chinese version.

looun, on picture settings, what are you using? Thinking I should disable everything as we want the raw picture without any digital processing, which IMHO actually worsens PQ...

My HT
I believe above setting is indeed best. I just watched 1 hour of a 23.976 movie and PQ was excellent, and more importantly, I didn't notice a single micro-stutter. No stutters in terms of wired SMB performance either. I think I'm finally seeing what looun and Caramba69 have been raving about. So, if you buy a Q5 4K, just make sure it's the English version.
My HT
(2015-03-18, 21:08)hdmkv Wrote: I believe above setting is indeed best. I just watched 1 hour of a 23.976 movie and PQ was excellent, and more importantly, I didn't notice a single micro-stutter. No stutters in terms of wired SMB performance either. I think I'm finally seeing what looun and Caramba69 have been raving about. So, if you buy a Q5 4K, just make sure it's the English version.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!Confused

I told not to give props to another player.

Now you are going to make me buy one...

Anyway can you PM me the link!!Big Grin
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Updated my review here.

And, movie78, at least you won't be a guinea pig like me (I know I chose to, but still). The one to buy is from Futeko (EU plug) or niking-niking off eBay (just search eBay for HiMedia Q5 4K and find listing from that seller). To be sure, I'd e-mail the seller first and confirm they will send you the English version (has English logo/writing & remote is in English).

I'm going to use my Q5 4K over the next two weeks and decide if I eBay off my Chromebox. Latter is still a better, faster box, but with Q5, I'd have an all-in-one Kodi + HD audio + 3D ISO box that's reasonably fast (more so than VidOn anyway).
My HT
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53