• 1(current)
Release DIY Network Addon
PLEASE READ FIRST

A number of people have requested an addon for DIY Network. I finally figured out how to get something other than .wmv videos off the website but there are problems figuring out which shows and videos are available. The .wmv files which are used in a browser do not play on Kodi. More logic is needed to figure out what resolutions, if any, are available.

So I'm posting a work-in-progress version and hoping that someone may have some better ideas about how to figure out which shows have episodes in an efficient manner. There is a limited set of Show selections and some of those do not return videos.

In the kodi.org repo.
Awesome, Thanks
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Thanks learningit, how do I install from git?
(2015-03-26, 03:04)Canyaya Wrote: Thanks learningit, how do I install from git?
General instructions for Windows:

1) use a browser to goto the following web page: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.diy/
2) on the right hand side of the page you will see a button labeled "Download ZIP". Click it.
3) the .zip file will be downloaded to your download directory - the location varies depending on OS and machine. On Windows it is usually C:\Users\(username)\Downloads
4) find the download dir and move the downloaded zip file (it will be named something like plugin.video.diy-master.zip) to a a directory that is accessible by Kodi - on a Windows machine this might be C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
5) load Kodi and goto Settings->Addons->Install from zip file
6) Choose the directory where you put the .zip file, such as Kodi->userdata , find the plugin.video.diy-master.zip click on it and the .zip file should install.
Have tried LazyTV

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install...-for-xbmc/
(2015-03-26, 02:14)learningit Wrote: I finally figured out how to get something other than .wmv videos off the website but there are problems figuring out which shows and videos are available. The .wmv files which are used in a browser do not play on Kodi. More logic is needed to figure out what resolutions, if any, are available.
I took a glance at your code. You seem to have found the relevant xml. You probably already know that there is a "show-level" (all episodes of a show) xml version and an "episode-level" xml version. Your code is using hls, did you choose that over the http mp4 progressive versions for some reason? I don't know how to test for all available qualities other than doing a 404 check starting at _1.mp4 through _6.mp4. Note also that scripps announced the diy website re-design is coming in May, with a move to theplatform - much like scripps has already done for their other networks.
The xmls return .wmv files. When going from an item the has a .wmv defined there is not always a .m3u8 or .mp4 for that matter. I've never found a method to request an xml which returns .m3u8 or .mp4 files - the website uses .wmv. I decided to use the m3u8 s because the stub load is smaller than the .mp4 in the case of the 404 not being returned and the file actually existing. I can step through a number of resolutions all at once on the m3u8 request whereas the ,mp4s need individual test to figure out the there is no file converted from .wmv available.

There doesn't seem to be a page or xml which list only shows with full episodes. I have to get a set of shows figure out which ones have videos. then check those videos for m3u8 (or mp4) and then walk up the resolutions. I was just going to do 480p that didn't seem the right thing to do.

It will be good when they move to theplatform - the other scripps sites I have addons for use it - DIY is the last hold out.
(2015-03-26, 20:17)learningit Wrote: There doesn't seem to be a page or xml which list only shows with full episodes. I have to get a set of shows figure out which ones have videos. then check those videos for m3u8 (or mp4) and then walk up the resolutions.
I looked over my notes. There doesn't seem to be a better way than what you describe.
(2015-03-26, 20:47)toejam Wrote:
(2015-03-26, 20:17)learningit Wrote: There doesn't seem to be a page or xml which list only shows with full episodes. I have to get a set of shows figure out which ones have videos. then check those videos for m3u8 (or mp4) and then walk up the resolutions.
I looked over my notes. There doesn't seem to be a better way than what you describe.

Thanks for your comments/notes I haven't been able to spend much time on this addon and I took the best method I could see - I'm sure there are better ways to do things if more time is spent staring at things.
Thanx so much!
@learningit, thank you so much for this rework of the addon. I could spend hours watching the content it provides but used to be unwatchable with the previous streams. Now the quality is great! Thank you.
(2015-04-01, 15:46)Canyaya Wrote: @learningit, thank you so much for this rework of the addon. I could spend hours watching the content it provides but used to be unwatchable with the previous streams. Now the quality is great! Thank you.

This a new addon, not a rework of an old one. I would love to look at the old addon (if there is one) to see how some of the issues I have were handled.
(2015-04-01, 17:40)learningit Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 15:46)Canyaya Wrote: @learningit, thank you so much for this rework of the addon. I could spend hours watching the content it provides but used to be unwatchable with the previous streams. Now the quality is great! Thank you.

This a new addon, not a rework of an old one. I would love to look at the old addon (if there is one) to see how some of the issues I have were handled.

Would the Plex DIY plugin offer any clues? I know absolutely nothing about the black magic of plugins, but that one seems to work fairly well even though it apparently hasn't been updated in ages:

https://github.com/ooten/Plex-DIY

Thank you for your work on this. I'm patiently waiting for the day when the Plex plugin breaks, I'm really glad to see someone looking at it for Kodi now too.

EDIT: I just realized this is the plugin I'm using... Newer than the GIT version, but still over a year old. https://forums.plex.tv/index.php?app=cor...h_id=26830

Here is the Discussion: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/7...in/?hl=diy

Sorry if I'm just making white noise in this discussion.
There have been some major changes to the diynetwork website which have broken the current version of this addon. I need to explore a bit to see how to find full episodes on the changed site. It may not be possible given that new content is being put at watch.diynetwork.com which requires authentication with a cable id. I will post when I know what is doable.
It does appear that even the Plex plugin I was using is now broken (It wouldn't bring up anything last night).

None the less, even if you give up, we do appreciate all the effort you have put into it. Thank you for at least trying.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Network Addon0