• 152(current)
Artwork Downloader
(2015-03-24, 18:22)fynxgloire Wrote: Hi thanks for your explanation.
But I tried both ways, Enabling the "Use local files" and disabling "Use local files".
No matter which option I choose Kodi ALWAYS creates a \userdata\Databases\Textures*.db file and also creates subdirectories 0 - 10 in folder C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails directory downloading all Poster and artwork from the internet.

I do not want it to download anything and clog up my hard drive.
Why cant this program just READ the artwork I downloaded manually in each movie on my Z drives subdirectory?
Is it possible?
Your welcome, however after reading your last post I can see you did not understand my explanation. Nevertheless Namoi has expained it to you in a way that should be easy to follow.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
OK, thank you for your reply.
Thats all fine and dandy how Kodi works but why can't I specify another drive letter to store this temporary thumbnail directory?
Why does it have to be on my C drive.
I would like to specify it to be on my F drive instead.
On another though maybe I can make a virtual linked drive and have this location be stored on my dropbox account instead of taking up valuable
space on my C drive.
I will make my C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\ directory a virtual drive on dropbox instead.
Anyone try it? I will tonight if there is no way to specify another drive

lates

(2015-03-24, 18:48)Namoi Wrote: You must understand how Kodi works.

It will always create those folders and files as they are cached (mirror images if you want) of the artworks you have locally or/and the ones scrapped from the net.
Think of them as "optimized" ressources intended to be displayed as fast as possible.

For example my posters are in 2160x1440 (4K ready) in png uncompressed : they are 9MB each.
Kodi just can't use them as they are to heavy so it creates a resized copy of those poster in jpg format. They are located in the directories you spoke of.

Hope it helps
@fynxfloire: On Dropbox? Try that. You should do a lot more reading and a lot less writing about the way things should be.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
@fynxgloire: just to clarify for you and for those just started hiking Kodi's trails who may get confused reading your post:

1. The userdata and its Thumbnails folder are not temporary folders
2. I believe no one has stated but you, that these folders can't be somewhere else. You may try, for instance, Symlinks, amongst other alternatives. Nevertheless, having these folders stored in a location that can't be accessed quickly enough defeats Kodi's purpose for image caching.
3. Further to this, whilst all kind of Frankensteinian implants are imaginable, little bit more of a serious approach and understanding of why developers have designed Kodi to work like this would be desirable, as Glorious 1 has pointed out. Otherwise you may even risk fellows not taking the time to help you here any longer.

@Glorious1: +1
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
(2015-03-25, 04:45)capfuturo Wrote: @fynxgloire: just to clarify for you and for those just started hiking Kodi's trails who may get confused reading your post:

1. The userdata and its Thumbnails folder are not temporary folders
2. I believe no one has stated but you, that these folders can't be somewhere else. You may try, for instance, Symlinks, amongst other alternatives. Nevertheless, having these folders stored in a location that can't be accessed quickly enough defeats Kodi's purpose for image caching.
3. Further to this, whilst all kind of Frankensteinian implants are imaginable, little bit more of a serious approach and understanding of why developers have designed Kodi to work like this would be desirable, as Glorious 1 has pointed out. Otherwise you may even risk fellows not taking the time to help you here any longer.

@Glorious1: +1

In my addon_data folder on my Android Mach 8, artwork downloader has created a temp folder that has cached roughly 2700 images in a temp folder and is using nearly 2GB of space. Is it ok for me to delete said temp folder w/o negatively affecting anything? My thumbnails are stored on an external flash drive, but I'm not 100% sure if the images are the same.
(2015-03-26, 20:37)RamboUnchained Wrote: In my addon_data folder on my Android Mach 8, artwork downloader has created a temp folder that has cached roughly 2700 images in a temp folder and is using nearly 2GB of space. Is it ok for me to delete said temp folder w/o negatively affecting anything? My thumbnails are stored on an external flash drive, but I'm not 100% sure if the images are the same.

I don't believe AD creates a folder named "Temp". I could be wrong, but I believe you're refering to the "Thumbnails" folder used by Kodi to store the art that is displayed in whatever skin you are using. It is stored in your userdata folder so that you won't have to wait forever for it to load. My guess is that if you delete it you won't have any art for your videos. I haven't tested this though.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2015-03-26, 22:17)wgstarks Wrote:
(2015-03-26, 20:37)RamboUnchained Wrote: In my addon_data folder on my Android Mach 8, artwork downloader has created a temp folder that has cached roughly 2700 images in a temp folder and is using nearly 2GB of space. Is it ok for me to delete said temp folder w/o negatively affecting anything? My thumbnails are stored on an external flash drive, but I'm not 100% sure if the images are the same.

I don't believe AD creates a folder named "Temp". I could be wrong, but I believe you're refering to the "Thumbnails" folder used by Kodi to store the art that is displayed in whatever skin you are using. It is stored in your userdata folder so that you won't have to wait forever for it to load. My guess is that if you delete it you won't have any art for your videos. I haven't tested this though.

I'm not sure how to create a screenshot on the box, so I just took a picture with my phone.

This is not the cached thumbnail directory Kodi use, that's for sure.
(2015-03-27, 00:11)Namoi Wrote: This is not the cached thumbnail directory Kodi use, that's for sure.

So, I can delete it? I know for a fact that I have thumbnails that are on an external flash drive. Most of this stuff is fanart/backgrounds, but It'd take me a while to check all of my thumbnail folder to see if the fanart and backgrounds are there, too.
To take a screen shot, enable this setting:
Settings ---> System ---> Debugging ---> Screenshots

then press PrintScreen and it will auto save to the specified folder.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2015-03-27, 01:58)CaptainKen Wrote: To take a screen shot, enable this setting:

Ok. Thanks
(2015-03-27, 01:58)CaptainKen Wrote: To take a screen shot, enable this setting:

Ok. Thanks
(2015-03-27, 00:42)RamboUnchained Wrote:
(2015-03-27, 00:11)Namoi Wrote: This is not the cached thumbnail directory Kodi use, that's for sure.

So, I can delete it? I know for a fact that I have thumbnails that are on an external flash drive. Most of this stuff is fanart/backgrounds, but It'd take me a while to check all of my thumbnail folder to see if the fanart and backgrounds are there, too.

Yes! if you want you can delete addon_data->script.artwork.downloader->temp This folder contains only the images that AD has downloaded over time, that is all, and AD will not re-download them next time you run unless you deleted the artwork along your video files (inside the movie folders). Kodi uses a different folder called Thumbnails folder in Kodi->userdata, nothing to do with AD's temp folder. Got it?

To clarify, since it seems it is a confusing topic for some users:

What are exactly these images AD downloads overtime? If 'use local files' is:
ON: all missing (from video folder) online available artwork which has been selected in AD's config panel
Where: to the video folder and AD's temp folder.

OFF: none, with the exception of Extrathumbs and Extrafanart, which (if missing and its artwork type has been selected on AD's config panel) always will be downloaded.
Where: to the AD's temp and the video folder.

Obs. On both cases Kodi will create image cache by means of using Thumbnails and Texturesdb, based on the images and settings explained above. In the case where 'use local files' is off, all artwork selected, but Extrathumbs and Extrafanart, will be only in Thumbnails because we asked not to use local files (the source is an online URL and not local). Thus the images will be placed in Kodi's Thumbnails folder.
Best,

capfuturo

(2015-03-27, 15:27)capfuturo Wrote:
(2015-03-27, 00:42)RamboUnchained Wrote:

Yes! if you want you can delete addon_data->script.artwork.downloader->temp This folder contains only the images that AD has downloaded over time, that is all, and AD will not re-download them next time you run unless you deleted the artwork along your video files (inside the movie folders). Kodi uses a different folder called Thumbnails folder in Kodi->userdata, nothing to do with AD's temp folder. Got it?

To clarify, since it seems it is a confusing topic for some users:

What are exactly these images AD downloads overtime? If 'use local files' is:
ON: all missing (from video folder) online available artwork which has been selected in AD's config panel
Where: to the video folder and AD's temp folder.

OFF: none, with the exception of Extrathumbs and Extrafanart, which (if missing and its artwork type has been selected on AD's config panel) always will be downloaded.
Where: to the AD's temp and the video folder.

Obs. On both cases Kodi will create image cache by means of using Thumbnails and Texturesdb, based on the images and settings explained above. In the case where 'use local files' is off, all artwork selected, but Extrathumbs and Extrafanart, will be only in Thumbnails because we asked not to use local files (the source is an online URL and not local). Thus the images will be placed in Kodi's Thumbnails folder.

That's what I figured since it is after all a temp folder. Just wanted to be 100% sure. Thanks for the clarification.
Hi guys,
need help or i go crazy.

I use

KODI Helix 14.1 (till yesterday)
today new install of 14.2

on Windows 7.
Artwork Downloader Addon Version 12.0.29

i define a new videosource to the database and kodi reads my movielist (flat: all moviefiles in one Directory) . The Poster for movies are shown all correct.
i start the Artwork Downloader --> after download the artworks i go to the movie List (database, or fileview) then every movie has the same poster and sometimes same fanart.
But all files in extrafanart and extrathumb folder...

please, can anybody help.
thanks alot Sleepy
matrix | UBUNTU 20.04
  • 152(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18