• 54(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
I credit VidOn for being first with a 3D + HD audio solution via Kodi, but now HiMedia's performance, playback quality is better, and RPi2 is already quite the contender. Also, VidOn is a little slow with large media libraries. Once ISO is added to RPi2 and some of the minor stability issues addressed (or could just be my mSD card at issue), it'll be the box to beat. I can live with no HD audio bitstreaming as Pi2 is decoding vs. the AVR, that's all.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I just said the truth, if the truth hurts your heart, then I am sorry.
It is meaningless to argue if one device lacks certain feature is a faulty device. NO PERFECT media box on the world, NO ALL-IN-ONE media box in the world. That is why lots of people post here to find a perfect media box.
Maybe you think Q5 is a perfect box in your heart, but a lot of other Q5 users will tell you it doesnt worth the money.
Maybe you think VidOn Box is a faulty box, but we still receive lots of good reviews from every corner of the world.
Different people have different needs. So its not absolutely to judge if a thing is right or wrong.
You will never say RPi is a faulty device just because it even can not playback BD 3D iso, then how can you say VidOn Box is a faulty box because when streaming the 25Hz or 29.970Hz BD will have some microstuttering?
Think about your words.
(2015-03-28, 19:01)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: You will never say RPi is a faulty device just because it even can not playback BD 3D iso, then how can you say VidOn Box is a faulty box because when streaming the 25Hz or 29.970Hz BD will have some microstuttering?
Think about your words.

Christ on a bike.

The RPi is a device designed and sold by a charity (not-for-profit) for educational purposes. It just so happens that the nice people here have put together a free piece of software that turns it into a very-nearly-perfect media player. Playing BD 3D ISOs was not part of the design brief of the device, it's not listed by the RPi Foundation as something it can do. The RPi cannot be regarded a failure, or faulty regardless of what it can or cannot do as a media player. It's not what it was designed for, it's not what it was marketed for, and no-one has been promised anything when they handed over their money. RPi can be regarded as a failure if it doesn't teach kids to code, but that's a whole different issue.

You represent a for-profit organisation. You charge money for a device, and an on-going subscription for ... whatever, promising certain levels of performance and capability from your product. Your device can be regarded a failure, or faulty if you do not deliver on this.

That's the difference. You charge money based on suitability for a specific use-case, the RPi Foundation do not, and nor do the Kodi Foundation as it happens.

Money is the difference. You charge money, your customers expect what you say they're going to get. That a kids educational toy with some free software delivers 90% of what you charge quite a bit of money for is why people get so heated.

Think about that.
For sure its not just micro stuttering! It is like a flip book effect. All you are doing is bashing other devices and downsizing the hugh problems your device have. All reviews I read where done on a very high attitude and didn't test the main features in a detailed manner. It is useless to read something about the usability of the user interface or just testing 24p if other important features don't work. For example the HDMI output is not compatible with some or a lot of AVRs.
Raspberry pi is not advertised as a media player. Vidon box is. Yet it lacks basic things. Pi does what it advertises. Vidon doesn't.

And for whoever raised HD audio on pi, both truehd and dts-hd can now on rpi2, be transcoded to pcm, so are fully HD audio compatible.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
VidOn is okay for a low-end 3D media player provided its caveats. HiMedia's Q5 4K (English hardware/firmware version) is a noticeable step-up. RPi2 is a different kind of box, as it isn't Android, but Linux/OpenELEC and for about $80 total (board, power, 16GB mSD, case & VC-1/MPEG2 codec licenses), is pretty amazing what it can already do (add ISO support as expected and it'll be cooler).
My Family Room Theater
(2015-03-28, 10:04)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: The RPi/RPi2 cannot play Blu-ray 3D iso, so it is a faulty product.
(2015-03-28, 19:01)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Different people have different needs. So its not absolutely to judge if a thing is right or wrong.
So on the one hand people should not judge your product for what it does not do but on the other hand you have the right to call the RPI/RPI 2 a faulty product. Now who is coming across as if their feelings were hurt.

(2015-03-28, 19:01)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Think about your words.
The irony is certainly lost on you, isn't it? And you are the face of your company posting on the internet. What a clown.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
hello
i have both xbmc icons on my main screen, one of them opens , but the other one shows a black screen for a sec then goes back to main screen. how can i fix that. im using SDK 1.2 and VidOn Media Center v 0.0.1.6.
both xbmc icons look exactly the same.
Go to VidOn XBMC - system - VidOn - upgrade, you can see the version number, if it shows 0.0.0.5beta, then uninstall the other one.
ok i will uninstall that one. i believe that is 2.0.0.0 beta that im unable to open. hope it wont effect other apps.

(2015-03-31, 05:30)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Go to VidOn XBMC - system - VidOn - upgrade, you can see the version number, if it shows 0.0.0.5beta, then uninstall the other one.
Where do I get 2.0.0.0 beta?
There's only a VidonXBMC-13.2_V1.0.0.0.apk that I'm aware of. It's available on VidOn's forum here.

Finally tested VC-1 for myself. I'm now on SDK 1.3 and VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.0...
- VC-1 23.976 1080p, plays fine (something HiMedia Q5 can't). Except for microstutters as with all 23.976
- VC-1 29.970 1080i playback is a pixellated mess

Also re-tested MPEG2:
- 1080i either has lip sync issues or video is jumpy (almost strobe-like effect)
- 720p plays fine

Finally, 3D ISO playback, with SDK 1.3 and VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.0 is NOT as good as SDK 1.2 and VidOn XBMC v0.0.0.4 or later (including v1.0.0.0). So, basically stick with SDK 1.2 and get 720p UI XBMC, or switch to SDK 1.3 for 1080p UI, but worse video playback. More buffering between chapter skips, picture not smooth (more frame skips), etc. With 'Avatar' 3D, playback had strobe-like movement and stuttered with audio out of sync.

I am at the end of the road with VidOn. Will be putting my 2x units on eBay. It served me fine for about 5 months, but now I prefer to use HiMedia's Q5 4K. It ain't perfect either, but overall playback is better, as is PQ, and box is snappier. Until something better comes along, it'll do just fine.
My Family Room Theater
Please do not test VidOn XBMC on SDK 1.3 as it's not been officially released yet. The test result shouldn't base on SDK 1.3.
Anyway, thank you for taking your time.
We will inform you (if you are interested in) once we have new product out.
(2015-04-01, 18:37)Caramba69 Wrote: Where do I get 2.0.0.0 beta?

VidOn XBMC 2.0.0.0 was built for AV200, but it can also run on VidOn Box, and its performance is good.
You can get it on our forum.
(2015-04-02, 08:43)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: We will inform you (if you are interested in) once we have new product out.
Sounds that Vidon Box is nearby the end of its lifetime and serious problems will never be fixed.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3