• 99(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
In relation to question two, the SOC has hardware super-abilities, which have recently been 'activated' by a new firmware for the rpi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-01, 22:10)Milhouse Wrote: htsp is no longer supported internally, dropped in build #0314, see PR:6699.
Are you using pvr.hts?

first of all, i dont have Tvheadend server runing localy i have couple of Tvheadend servers that are runing on machines that are on internet in diferent countries. But i dont need full pvr support like epg or channals logos i only need list of channals to be able to watch them, so i need to have support for adding them directly in sources like folders with name tv1 tv2 etc.
example from my source.xml

</source>
<source>
<name>TV</name>
<path pathversion="1">htsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
<source>
<name>TV2</name>
<path pathversion="1">htsp://kodi:[email protected]</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
(2015-04-01, 23:04)Batiatus Wrote: First, why does passthrough not send the full lossless audio out? Why use the Pi to do the decoding?
8 channel HD audio requires 8 channels @ 192kHz (even for 48kHz audio). That is more than the Pi was designed for.
We can however decode the HD audio to 8 channel PCM and output that at 48kHz (as almost all Blu-Ray content is 48kHz).

Quote:Second, how is this little cheap device capable of properly playing back MVC 3D MKV when a far more powerful (and expensive) HTPC cannot? That doesn't make any sense to my brain!
The Pi has MVC capable hardware, and deborah_c and myself have been working hard to support it with kodi.
Some other platforms could support MVC in theory but need someone to do the work.
As @Milhouse wrote, we dropped internal htsp protocol support in favor of the real pvr addon. AFAIK tvheadend also allows http streaming via m3u so that might be a solution for you.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
i know for m3u but this is hassle if owner of server change something on server like add new udp stream then i need to redo my list manually in order to add this new channel, i wonder is it posible to make addon that will give this support back
Tvheadend used to generate own playlists back in the days.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-04-01, 23:09)popcornmix Wrote: The Pi has MVC capable hardware, and deborah_c and myself have been working hard to support it with kodi.

Maybe also support of hevc hidden somewhere deep? Smile
(2015-04-01, 23:29)MONSTA Wrote: Maybe also support of hevc hidden somewhere deep? Smile

We do have some work planned to improve HEVC performance.
Unfortunately there is no HEVC hardware which limits what is possible, but the GPU can help.
The guy we want to work on it is not available yet, and it's quite a big job, so don't expect anything for a few months...
@Doktor-X: You should start a new thread in OS Independent or PVR forums, as this is now a core change, and intentionally so, affecting all platforms in future. Maybe you can attract the attention of someone willing to make an add-on, or even persuade the powers that be to restore htsp.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-01, 23:09)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 23:04)Batiatus Wrote: First, why does passthrough not send the full lossless audio out? Why use the Pi to do the decoding?
8 channel HD audio requires 8 channels @ 192kHz (even for 48kHz audio). That is more than the Pi was designed for.
We can however decode the HD audio to 8 channel PCM and output that at 48kHz (as almost all Blu-Ray content is 48kHz).

Quote:Second, how is this little cheap device capable of properly playing back MVC 3D MKV when a far more powerful (and expensive) HTPC cannot? That doesn't make any sense to my brain!
The Pi has MVC capable hardware, and deborah_c and myself have been working hard to support it with kodi.
Some other platforms could support MVC in theory but need someone to do the work.

I guess it makes sense for the audio. My preference is to use passthrough as I then know what the receiver is doing but if it works, it works.

The second I just can't understand. Not on the Pi side as that's great. But WTH can't we get much bigger and more powerful systems to do the same? Not a question directed at yourself, just in general.

So a follow-up, when MVC is played back is it done and recognized by Kodi like a SBS 3D video is? Does it also bring up that annoying 3D notification and sound? Or does it just send out the image and let the display decide to show it in 2D or 3D by either auto-detect or manually changing the 3D format?
(2015-04-01, 23:46)Batiatus Wrote: The second I just can't understand. Not on the Pi side as that's great. But WTH can't we get much bigger and more powerful systems to do the same? Not a question directed at yourself, just in general.
Someone with a very special skill set needs to do several weeks of work. There's actually a 4000 € bounty for someone to do this for VLC.

Quote:So a follow-up, when MVC is played back is it done and recognized by Kodi like a SBS 3D video is? Does it also bring up that annoying 3D notification and sound? Or does it just send out the image and let the display decide to show it in 2D or 3D by either auto-detect or manually changing the 3D format?

Don't really know what the 3D notification and sound is. My TV makes no sound when switching to 3D. The Pi handles the 3D signalling, so the 2D/3D switch should be automatic. (Kodi doesn't support that on other platforms).
(2015-04-01, 23:54)popcornmix Wrote: Don't really know what the 3D notification and sound is. My TV makes no sound when switching to 3D. The Pi handles the 3D signalling, so the 2D/3D switch should be automatic. (Kodi doesn't support that on other platforms).

My experience using SBS type 3D files in XBMC/Kodi has been getting an on-screen notification showing what 3D output Kodi has switched to, and then back to 2D when done playing the file. This is also accompanied by an audible notification which is SUPER annoying as most times you've got the volume up to hear the movie and then WHAM your ears as assaulted.

Good work getting MVC working with the Pi. I guess it's something I need to look more into. Just blows my minds that all those who do know the inner workings or all this programming an't get it working on more platforms. It's not like it's only been around for a few months.
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0401: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.19.3 #1 Wed Apr 1 21:03:17 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 27 2015 18:48:55
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version b2109b1c1c8ae8717df455cfaf312a6c1801f45a (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150401210228-#0401-gbbd97b5 [Build #0401]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001667.201: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (bbd97b53, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (56af059d, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Kodi 15.0 beta1
  2. Better fix for stuttering low-bitrate videos with dvdplayer - seems to work well (link)
    popcornmix Wrote:I've removed the dropping hack. I think that was just trying to fix the symptoms, not the cause.

I've gone for a different approach. VC has quite a large input bufffer to codec (~1MB).
    For low bitrate videos like this (0.3Mbit/sec) you can stuff a lot of frames into that buffer (e.g. 30 seconds worth).

While that shouldn't be a problem, it seems dvdplayer doesn't handle this well. I've tried to limit video to half a second's worth.

I *think* it helps this clip (but as the failure is a bit random it's hard to be certain). Please test it.

I'm also a little concerned that if the count of how many frames are queued inside decoder is wrong we might stall.
    This could happen if a video frame from ffmpeg either produces no picture or more than one picture.

Ideally this shouldn't happen, but I'm a bit concerned about files with errors (e.g. from live tv), packed AVI files (which contain skipped frames and double P/B frames), interlaced video...

Also the more limited buffering in codec, could have a performance impact (I'd expect that even half a second is still plenty, but worth keeping an eye out for).
    popcornmix Wrote:The "limiting codec" patch should have a useful side effect.
    Previously the large codec buffer didn't get drained.
    dvdplayer only checks for decoded output frames when submitting a new frame, so on all platforms the last few frames never get displayed.
    With MMAL's large buffer that could be seconds of video not getting shown (at end of file, you may see a the video freeze a couple of seconds before the audio stops).
    That effect should be lessened now.
  3. Prioritise passthrough when also enabling "HDMI and Analogue":
    popcornmix Wrote:I'd seen a couple of bug reports where video doesn't play that turned out to be due to user enabling "HDMI and Analogue" and also passthrough.

There are a couple of ways of fixing this, but I've chosen to make passthrough take precedence, in this case.
    This will also apply if you enable "Analogue" and passthough. That seems to be the behaviour of other platforms.

A user may deliberately choose those settings if they want to use a receiver for (dts/ac3) movies, but use the TV directly for lower quality audio.
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • remove create_installsrtick* / create_sdcard (PR:3878, 1 commit, 24 files changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • bump to 15.0 beta1 (PR:6856, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Remove lib/enca/ (PR:6802, 1 commit, 460 files changed)
    • [AudioCodecFFMPEG] - disable drc in audio codec context when (PR:6820, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • [curl] use better method to stat shoutcast and friends (PR:6408, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • do not enable remote control on initialize, respect app params (PR:6855, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • ALSA: implement device change event (PR:5982, 5 commits, 10 files changed)
    • [video] select proper bookmark item based on current playtime (PR:6812, 10 commits, 4 files changed)
    • [configure] add option to disable lirc (PR:6783, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [gui] reduce code duplication for mass dialog close (PR:6848, 4 commits, 6 files changed)
    • [settings] allow hide watched toggling in files node (PR:6785, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [daap] remove daap support (PR:6794, 1 commit, 65 files changed)
    • musicdb: cleanup detection of Singles (PR:6810, 9 commits, 19 files changed)
    • [replaytv] remove replaytv support (PR:6798, 1 commit, 45 files changed)
    • [replaytv] minor cleanup after pull/6798 (PR:6859, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [pvr] Sync a bunch of addons with PVR API 1.9.6 (PR:6857, 1 commit, 9 files changed)
    • [pvr.dvbviewer] Bump to kodi-pvr/pvr.dvbviewer@bd2c01f (PR:6826, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • [mmalrenderer] Add SetCodecControl function and prefer to return pictures when renderer is low (disabled) (4c104943)
      • [mmalcodec] Limit submitted video frames. Seems to avoid stutter issues with low bitrate videos (9db113e0)
      • dvdplayer: do not bail out if av_find_stream_info fails for mpegts (e3177e6f)
      • [rbp] Disable analogue output of sync when passthrough is enabled (db451fbf)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • [mmalrenderer] Add SetCodecControl function and prefer to return pictures when renderer is low (f1342e75)
      • [mmalrenderer] Avoid dropping frames when requested. May cause stutter on youtube (c7757295)
  4. kernel 3.19.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • Revert "serial/amba-pl011: Leave the TX IRQ alone when the UART is not open" (eb8ffae1)
      • serial/amba-pl011: Refactor and simplify TX FIFO handling (2c4959b7)
  5. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-02, 00:04)Batiatus Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 23:54)popcornmix Wrote: Don't really know what the 3D notification and sound is. My TV makes no sound when switching to 3D. The Pi handles the 3D signalling, so the 2D/3D switch should be automatic. (Kodi doesn't support that on other platforms).

My experience using SBS type 3D files in XBMC/Kodi has been getting an on-screen notification showing what 3D output Kodi has switched to, and then back to 2D when done playing the file. This is also accompanied by an audible notification which is SUPER annoying as most times you've got the volume up to hear the movie and then WHAM your ears as assaulted.

Good work getting MVC working with the Pi. I guess it's something I need to look more into. Just blows my minds that all those who do know the inner workings or all this programming an't get it working on more platforms. It's not like it's only been around for a few months.
There seems a real reluctance in the ffmpeg camp to getting this working. Remembering that OS development is often a case of 'scratching an itch' by a developer, maybe none of the ffmpeg crowd actually like or want 3D that much. There certainly are two schools of thought on 3D - some love it, some hate it, there is rarely middle ground!

There is a pdf of a masters paper floating around that did work on MVC a few years, it included the bones of some changes in ffmpeg, but no one seemed to take it any further. I tried to get my son who is a maths/comsci graduate to get interested, but he finished Uni and got a real job, so developing MVC decoding would now eat into his gaming time too much I suspect!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-01, 23:46)Batiatus Wrote: The second I just can't understand. Not on the Pi side as that's great. But WTH can't we get much bigger and more powerful systems to do the same? Not a question directed at yourself, just in general.
They could do the same, but they would a) either also rely on HW capabilities, which is hard to figure out on HTPCs with randomly crafted HW or b) have to do it in software, for which NO open source code exists yet - thus we can't implement it.

(2015-04-01, 23:46)Batiatus Wrote: So a follow-up, when MVC is played back is it done and recognized by Kodi like a SBS 3D video is? Does it also bring up that annoying 3D notification and sound? Or does it just send out the image and let the display decide to show it in 2D or 3D by either auto-detect or manually changing the 3D format?
The Kaitoast (along with the bing sound in Confluence) will still be triggered and the MVC videos will be handled just like any other 3D video recogniced by Kodi. If you don't want the sound just turn GUI sounds off. And if you don't want the dialog asking which playback mode to use, change the according setting and set it to "use preferred 3D mode" or "monoscopic 2D" - whatever you prefer as default playback mode for 3D movies.
  • 99(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112