MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up
Has anyone tried the MSI Cubi? Looks promising for a Kodi system though more expensive than a Chromebox...
http://liliputing.com/2015/03/msi-cubi-m...nd-up.html
  • 1.5 GHz Intel Celeron 3205U processor with black or white case for $150
  • 1.9 GHz Intel Pentium 3805U processor with black or white case for $200
  • 2 GHz Intel Core i3-5005U processor with black or white case for $280.

Quote:Note that all three of these processors are 15 watt chips based on Intel’s 14nm, 64-bit “Broadwell” architecture. The Celeron and Pentium chips are lower-performance dual-core chips while the Core i3 chip is also a dual-core processor but it supports hyperthreading so it can handle up to 4 simultaneous threads.

Specifications: http://www.msi.com/product/desktop/Cubi....cification
The article you linked to says you have to provide your own os, storage and memory but official MSI site says 2gb ram windows 8.1 and 64 gigabyte memory
http://www.msi.com/product/desktop/Cubi....cification

A bit more research suggests although the CPU is on the 14nm node, it's not that much better than the CPU in Asus Chromebox, and since the chip in Asus been out for over a year, I'm guessing most bugs are ironed out. And really the only thing missing from Asus was optical out. Right?

If the article is correct and you have to provide your own memory, storage and os(chrome os allows the Asus Chromebox to be versatile) then as a kodi box it's way to late and overpriced (compared to the tried and tested Asus Chromebox). Thanks for sharing
Aren't these Broadwell not Haswell - so effectively a next-generation equivalent of the Chromebox?
Note that all three of these processors are 15 watt chips based on Intel’s 14nm, 64-bit “Broadwell” architecture.

From op link. How is broad well an improvement on has well? Curious
I am not sure about the Celeron or Pentium models, but the i3 model offers better gpu that is better at 4k. I know gpu is also better for the Celeron and Pentium models, but not sure how much better.

The price for the i3 model seems in line with what Broadwell i3 NUC is going for. It looks like a pretty nice device. And if this came out a month ago, I might have gone with the Pentium model over a 5th gen NUC.
(2015-04-04, 17:37)MediaPi Wrote: The article you linked to says you have to provide your own os, storage and memory but official MSI site says 2gb ram windows 8.1 and 64 gigabyte memory
http://www.msi.com/product/desktop/Cubi....cification

A bit more research suggests although the CPU is on the 14nm node, it's not that much better than the CPU in Asus Chromebox, and since the chip in Asus been out for over a year, I'm guessing most bugs are ironed out. And really the only thing missing from Asus was optical out. Right?

If the article is correct and you have to provide your own memory, storage and os(chrome os allows the Asus Chromebox to be versatile) then as a kodi box it's way to late and overpriced (compared to the tried and tested Asus Chromebox). Thanks for sharing

According to amazon they are barbones models going for the suggested retail prices AKA $150/$200/$280

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-VESA-Mountable...00UK3L7AE/
mSATA?
I believe so
taken from OP first post link

someone knowledgable person please explain if this is a good upgrade to asus chromebox and why? (for the money)

also the information is on the amazon link (thanks to Topken)
ntel Celeron 3205U (Broad well U processor) embedded
Intel Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0
mSATA SSD slot x1 and detachable 2.5" HDD/SSD drive bay x1
One Design to Fit Two Storage Options
Two-ball Fan Heat sink to provide ultra durable and longer CPU protection
Noise level lowered to 20.1dB
Default VESA-mountable
2-year Warranty

can't believe at 14nm node they need a fan, I'm guessing it should be quieter than the asus?
(2015-04-05, 13:02)MediaPi Wrote: someone knowledgable person please explain if this is a good upgrade to asus chromebox and why? (for the money)

I think the benefits over the Chromebox are the ability to add a 2.5" HDD (with the extension case), the ability to run Windows with HDMI audio easily, and there are likely to be some performance improvements with Broadwell vs Haswell. 802.11ac is also probably worth having.

However as a pure Kodi/OpenElec front-end without a local storage requirement I suspect that there isn't a huge reason to upgrade if you already have a Chromebox? However it is a solution that people should probably consider if buying now?
As chromebox user i don't see benefits to change box ( using open elec)

Probably i will buy abother box for living rool when skylake come out ( 4k hardware decode)
(2015-04-05, 15:18)Roby77 Wrote: As chromebox user i don't see benefits to change box ( using open elec)

Probably i will buy abother box for living rool when skylake come out ( 4k hardware decode)

Chromebox already has hardware 4K decode for H264 in OE. Works fine feeding 2160/23.976-30.00p displays over HDMI with VAAPI acceleration.

HEVC/H265 is a different matter.
CIR?

HDMI-CEC?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Broadwell is a very minor bump over Haswell - the 3205U is maybe 10% faster overall than the 2955U/2957U - and it doesn't offer full HEVC hardware decoding. All things being equal I'd choose Broadwell over Haswell, but not at any significant price premium unless the box offered other features which were of interest. I'll be waiting on Skylake before I consider upgrading my ChromeBoxes.
(2015-04-05, 13:02)MediaPi Wrote: I believe so
taken from OP first post link

Yes, it is mSATA. Guess I was simply surprised, as I did not expect to see mSATA in any Broadwell box anymore. Even a large number of Haswell boxes, including the Chromebox, have moved to the new M.2 format already. Not sure why MSI would develop a new box with the latest processor and then put a last gen SSD interface in it.

(2015-04-05, 19:04)jammyb Wrote: CIR?

HDMI-CEC?

Neither.

(2015-04-05, 22:09)Matt Devo Wrote: Broadwell is a very minor bump over Haswell - the 3205U is maybe 10% faster overall than the 2955U/2957U - and it doesn't offer full HEVC hardware decoding. All things being equal I'd choose Broadwell over Haswell, but not at any significant price premium unless the box offered other features which were of interest. I'll be waiting on Skylake before I consider upgrading my ChromeBoxes.

Sound advice, even though I've gotten myself a few Broadwell NUCs. I am looking forward to Skylake and hopefully HDMI 2.0.
(2015-04-06, 00:30)DocG Wrote: Sound advice, even though I've gotten myself a few Broadwell NUCs. I am looking forward to Skylake and hopefully HDMI 2.0.

Yep - HDMI 2.0 and HEVC 2160/50p and 60p hardware decode hopefully (in readiness for UHD TV broadcasts) (Be nice to be able to watch the Astra UHD test loop at 28.2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up0