• 22(current)
Vero OSMC
(2015-04-05, 22:30)dezzerb0y Wrote: * zaphod does not even own a vero. Imagine the cubox is 100% identical to the Vero, it still puts in to question, why is he posting so much crap in this thread? Maybe Vero will improve things for i.MX6, maybe it won't but with his constant posting he is likely making Sam less likely to want to fix these issues for these owners. You even messaged me on the forum to invite me to this thread (thanks!), but I find it a bit creepy you messaged me. All I did was buy a Vero, and I bought it knowing full well about Kodi and i.MX6, but I did not want to get dragged in to this and I don't know who the heck you are. Leave OSMC to do their work and I'm sure good things will happen.

I apologize if you thought me inviting you to continue the discussion of Vero performance here was "creepy" as you say. The only reason I did so was because Sam had a tantrum on the Vero/OSMC forum thread and locked it. I already explained I can understand why he might be upset that I, as a non-Vero owner, started the thread. Once other Vero owners started sharing their experience, however, I think it became a legitimate means to discuss performance on the Vero. Eventually even Sam must have concluded that because he reopened the thread.
(2015-04-05, 22:35)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:* fritsch -- I know what a device tree is. Dropping a new one in based on a cubox and trying to boot it will obviously work, that's how *device tree* is meant to work. It's meant to boot devices when given a flat file. If the Vero DTB doesn't boot on the CuBox, it's obviously different. Fractional modesetting is also possible you probably just do not know how. There is already support for fractional modesetting (1080i50) which I am sure you know uses fractional pixel clock 74.25/1.001

Ah, we have an expert here, that has no idea. Vero does not boot, cause it is locked down, by its creator (check the uboot commits on his github). Then let's make osmc available to all cubox owners out there and see if they like it:

Quote:9 Steps to install OSMC on Cubox-i/Hummingboard (tested on Hummingboard-i1)

what you need:
A. Hummingboard, Cubox-i...
B. OSMC image
from http://46.37.189.135/osmc/download/insta...322.img.gz
C. OpenELEC's bootloader for Cubox-i/ Hummingboard
from: http://sources.openelec.tv/devel/bootloa...x-i.tar.xz

Steps to install:
1. extract OSMC image:
gunzip OSMC_TGT_vero1_20150322.img.gz

2. write OSMC image to SD-Card: (DANGER: check the path to the SDCard carefully, any disk will be overwritten!!!)
sudo dd if=OSMC_TGT_vero1_20150322.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

3. extract OpenELECs bootloadfiles:
tar xJf bootloader-cubox-i.tar.xz

4. write SPL bootloader file to SD-Card: (DANGER: check the path to the SDCard carefully, any disk will be overwritten!!!)
sudo dd if=bootloader/SPL of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2 conv=notrunc

5. mount SD-Card
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media

6. copy bootloaderfiles to SD-Card:
sudo cp bootloader/*.dtb /media
sudo cp bootloader/u-boot.img /media

7. unmount SD-Card:
sudo umount /media

8. Boot Cubox-i/ Hummingboard with this SD-Card, OSMC will start in the installer and is installing byself
After this is done, half of our work is destroyed, and we must repeat steps 5.-7.

9. Boot to OSMC

quick question; are you saying overwriting a bootloader and device tre makes a device work? becaue that is generally how things work.. I bet if I put start.elf and kernel.img on the sd and put in a pi as well the pi would boot. doesn't mean vero is a pi?

(2015-04-05, 22:43)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 22:30)dezzerb0y Wrote: * zaphod does not even own a vero. Imagine the cubox is 100% identical to the Vero, it still puts in to question, why is he posting so much crap in this thread? Maybe Vero will improve things for i.MX6, maybe it won't but with his constant posting he is likely making Sam less likely to want to fix these issues for these owners. You even messaged me on the forum to invite me to this thread (thanks!), but I find it a bit creepy you messaged me. All I did was buy a Vero, and I bought it knowing full well about Kodi and i.MX6, but I did not want to get dragged in to this and I don't know who the heck you are. Leave OSMC to do their work and I'm sure good things will happen.

I apologize if you thought me inviting you to continue the discussion of Vero performance here was "creepy" as you say. The only reason I did so was because Sam had a tantrum on the Vero/OSMC forum thread and locked it. I already explained I can understand why he might be upset that I, as a non-Vero owner, started the thread. Once other Vero owners started sharing their experience, however, I think it became a legitimate means to discuss performance on the Vero. Eventually even Sam must have concluded that because he reopened the thread.

Nah you're a stirrer mate. And I'm wondering what you're angle is...

I se sam locked it. maybe because he saw your posting history and thought it might be an idea to lock it. anyway it's open, i've tried those clips and they're fine so it's probably at your end. maybe if you are more polited! he will help you
I also notice you completely sidestepped my comments about fractonal clock
Yeah, did not feel to do a technical conversation with you, after your posts. And as I did not see _any_ code that was written by you our anyone of OSMC yet - I was not sure I can take you serious.

This was revisited some months ago in the deinterlacing testing thread. The video pll (pll5) is quite capable. So generating fractional pll outside the hdmi tx is our only option. The idea was that the hdmi tx would take the clock already divided by this 1.001. So at the end we should end up with just specifiing correct n/cts values in kernel.

Worked out quite nightmarish (thought the clock was perfectly calculated) ... you cannot fool a non matching audio clock too much and this you forget here. It's not alone about the video doing something, that was "calculated" by you, the chain must match.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-05, 22:30)dezzerb0y Wrote: * kodi team: comments here are bad, but endoresements, tacit or explicit are even worse. Will avoid Kodi now. kaijser, nate, koying: despicable and invalidate the work of many others who have only tried to bring kodi to the masses.
It's not about bringing Kodi to the masses IMO, it's the way it is done. From my understanding OSMC is a operating system built around Kodi, just like OpenElec, but OSMC is hiding this fact a bit while OE is showing this right on the frontpage. This is also a sign of respect to the work of others, which IMO OSMC doesn't show much or at all. Also OE devs contribute upstream while Raspbmc/OSMC to my knowledge has no merged patch/fix in upstream Kodi. And another thing many are pissed about are wrong promises and fooling users (like the changes in RaspBMC that added a fixed CPU load in the skin rather than showing the real CPU load and the fanboys went crazy on how good it was etc - at least I thought this is plain silly).

You also mentioned that OSMC was built rather fast incl a new skin - you know that this skin is based on the work of Hitchers skin? (I at least read that this is the case). So again, based on the work of others and not from scratch. Doing so is fine as it's all open source, but giving credit in a suiteable way would be apropriate IMO.

Personally I don't care much about the fight between Raspbmc/OSMC community and OE - everybody is free to use what he preferrs. My preference is OE because I don't need the debian overhead and I don't like the attitude of OSMC
Immediately I saw the osmc skin I thought 'conq'. I think hitcher might be helping osmc with skinning from what I've seen.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-05, 23:05)fritsch Wrote: Yeah, did not feel to do a technical conversation with you, after your posts. And as I did not see _any_ code that was written by you our anyone of OSMC yet - I was not sure I can take you serious.

This was revisited some months ago in the deinterlacing testing thread. The video pll (pll5) is quite capable. So generating fractional pll outside the hdmi tx is our only option. The idea was that the hdmi tx would take the clock already divided by this 1.001. So at the end we should end up with just specifiing correct n/cts values in kernel.

Worked out quite nightmarish (thought the clock was perfectly calculated) ... you cannot fool a non matching audio clock too much and this you forget here. It's not alone about the video doing something, that was "calculated" by you, the chain must match.

You don't want a technical conversation because you obscure fact.

* the video tx is fine, you know just as well as i do you can oerwrite the registers
* you only need to worry about audio clock if you do not know what is in each packet. so bitstream. but you do know in most situation and with libcadec not even a problem for much longer

(2015-04-05, 23:09)da-anda Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 22:30)dezzerb0y Wrote: * kodi team: comments here are bad, but endoresements, tacit or explicit are even worse. Will avoid Kodi now. kaijser, nate, koying: despicable and invalidate the work of many others who have only tried to bring kodi to the masses.
It's not about bringing Kodi to the masses IMO, it's the way it is done. From my understanding OSMC is a operating system built around Kodi, just like OpenElec, but OSMC is hiding this fact a bit while OE is showing this right on the frontpage. This is also a sign of respect to the work of others, which IMO OSMC doesn't show much or at all. Also OE devs contribute upstream while Raspbmc/OSMC to my knowledge has no merged patch/fix in upstream Kodi. And another thing many are pissed about are wrong promises and fooling users (like the changes in RaspBMC that added a fixed CPU load in the skin rather than showing the real CPU load and the fanboys went crazy on how good it was etc).

You also mentioned that OSMC was built rather fast incl a new skin - you know that this skin is based on the work of Hitchers skin? (I at least read that this is the case). So again, based on the work of others and not from scratch. Doing so is fine as it's all open source, but giving credit in a suiteable way would be apropriate IMO.

Personally I don't care much about the fight between Raspbmc/OSMC community and OE - everybody is free to use what he preferrs. My preference is OE because I don't need the debian overhead and I don't like the attitude of OSMC

* hitcher actually works on the osmc skin from what i can see in git repo (he commits to it), so again you are trying to make it seem like osmc is using 'code' (lol gpl), when actually the guy is a dev...

* never seen osmc hide the fact kodi is what runs under osmc. i see it on the about page, on the wiki, in the forums, etc etc. if they said it wasn't supported or the same thing i am sure they would lose a lot of users as people want compatible addons.
Quote:You don't want a technical conversation because you obscure fact.

* the video tx is fine, you know just as well as i do you can oerwrite the registers
* you only need to worry about audio clock if you do not know what is in each packet. so bitstream. but you do know in most situation and with libcadec not even a problem for much longer

I don't get you. What you say in the bullet points, I also said. The fractional modelines patch (for kodi) is on my github ... now in osmc. And btw. this is a good point where we can measure your work. I am very curious of patches you come up with. As you don't plan with passthrough for longer, you should also not invest too much work into the fractional modelines. As resample + a proper video clock already works _now_ quite well.

So, before we talk more about the future (x86, ATV, IMX support and, and, and android ...) let's talk what users can expect now. And this is, sadly said: not quite much.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Enjoy your ban, dezzerboy. I'm tired of hearing your retarded ranting.
Wargh! fetch him back ... thought, we get something done for Kodi ...
Ok, I am pissed off. As everyone is completely off track in here (except for fritsch and some sensible users) I´ll just join for once.
Like I said before I am not a Vero user, but I am part of OSMC.

@da-ada
I have promised myself not to get into this (since years actually) and I have always been neutral in here, but now you seriously piss me off. What you say is simply not true, you just have a beef with Sam and you gang together behind closed doors. But you forget one thing; We are more people in OSMC and all we ever do is supporting Kodi!
Our old forum had 100k signed up users and we are several people HELPING TEAM KODI with many things. All of us actually.
If you value your coding time more than my support time, I can only say: fuck you.
I hear things as "OSMC does not contribute", then what is providing a proper OS with thousands of users, + the support? Upstream? It will come if it does, but is this the way it works? It doesn´t matter how much you help unless you code?
I am perfectly aware of that the number one reason I am here is Kodi and nothing else. Pi is the second. But the way Team Kodi treats us I am afraid that we might disappear, it´s only as much you can take.
I personally don´t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of Sam, Steve Jobs, Windows Vista, I just want to be able to use my Pi´s the way I like.

Personally I have always been neutral in here, and I do respect anyones opinion on OSMC if it was "for real", but Team Kodi is just to biased when it comes to this. You treat us as we were tvaddons or something and I always feel I have to tread carefully but I am obvioulsly done with that.
There is no doubt in my mind that we have brought hundreds of thousands of users to Kodi. Many of them wouldn´t even know Kodi if it weren´t for us and we always help people distinguish OSMC from Kodi, and also that there are options out there.

@Nate
Why would you even go there? WTH? Whatever media puts out as news, with all the work that several of us do to help everyone, even helping distinguisjing Raspbmc/OSMC from Kodi, was it really necessary to say all that?
Because now I really feel like I am banging my head against the wall, and I used to think I helped you guys.
And, I actually happen to know that Sam has done many things to try and reason with you guys, but if you don´t want to, well...
No matter how much yo dislike Sam, or if you find it difficult to work with him, have in mind that you kill my experience too. Am I just wasting my time here? Is it time for Plex?

This is the thing, I am a Pi user. OE will never (ever) be my choice. If OSMC didn´t exist I would run xBian. I want to actually be able to use my Pi and OE does not allow me.
When I first got my Pi some years ago I installed OE since it sounded as the official Kodi OS in here. After a couple of days I installed Raspbian instead and dropped Kodi, then dusted off my ATV2 to run Kodi as OE killed my Pi experience. It´s just to locked down and it is simply not for me no matter what hardware I use.
If OE or Android was the only choice; I would simply not use Kodi, that´s a fact.

And, I am sorry, but I would never even touch Android for many reasons, mostly due to the limitations.

When are we actually going to put all this behind us?

@ Ned Scott
You ban him? retarded ranting? WTF?!?!!?
@Skin - well, then I might have read it wrong - sorry about that

what I personally dislike is marketing crap like this "OSMC is the leading media center in terms of feature set and community" while it's available since how long to get this reputation and can proof it by which numbers? Also the media center feature set is not the work of OSMC devs but actually Kodi. To me, OSMC is also not a media center itself but rather a distro, just like OE is not a media center but a distro. But well - I stay out of this and spend my time more meaningful.

@mippa
I have nothing against Sam as I don't know him and never talked to him. I only dislike several statements done here and there (one which was that he contributed to Kodi core IIRC).
OSMC - First impressions:
- I really like the installer. That was fantastically easy, a nice guide through the settings.
- It found the wireless of my i4 and I could connect to the network (What I did not get was the clicking on that "Enable Adapter", did not see the visual feedback))
- The skin was a bit new for me, so I switched to confluence after a bit looking arround.
- Menu are really fast and nice to use.
- I had some artifact on the home screen (most likely dirty region artifacts)

Works fine. Will test some content now (though - as I know the code, I don't think something special will happen).
(2015-04-05, 23:27)fritsch Wrote: Wargh! fetch him back ... thought, we get something done for Kodi ...

Fine with me. *shrug*
(2015-04-05, 23:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Enjoy your ban, dezzerboy. I'm tired of hearing your retarded ranting.

As a long time OE user if you have banned dezzerboy for this comment I'm really disappointed.

I've been using kodi/xbmc for far too long, it makes me really sad to see people banned as a result of petty disputes, especially from a team member I really respected.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11