• 23(current)
Vero OSMC
@NedScott: thx
@tdw197: He is back.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-05, 23:45)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 23:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Enjoy your ban, dezzerboy. I'm tired of hearing your retarded ranting.

As a long time OE user if you have banned dezzerboy for this comment I'm really disappointed.

I've been using kodi/xbmc for far too long, it makes me really sad to see people banned as a result of petty disputes, especially from a team member I really respected.

Plus one.

Guys this thread is becoming pretty undignified (except fritsch). Stand back, breathe. Actually read dezzerboy's 1st post a couple of times. Think on it overnight. Is that how you want to be perceived? Some of you are coming across like 8 year olds. Please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good, live and let live.

There's plenty of idiots around, if we didn't listen to them how we would know what good sense sounds like?
(2015-04-05, 23:31)miappa Wrote: You treat us as we were tvaddons or something and I always feel I have to tread carefully but I am obvioulsly done with that.
If several team members share the same antipathy for RaspBMC/OSMC then IMO there must be a reason to this. I'm not saying the people working on OSMC do harm to Kodi like tvaddons, but there must be something that pisses people off, right? If you want this antipathy to vanish, maybe start a dialogue to figure out what and change things on your end? TVaddons did so.
(2015-04-05, 23:31)miappa Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that we have brought hundreds of thousands of users to Kodi. Many of them wouldn´t even know Kodi if it weren´t for us and we always help people distinguish OSMC from Kodi
Well, your marketing claims at least don't help to distinguish see
Quote:OSMC (Open Source Media Center) is a free and open source media center that runs on a number of different devices. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the Internet.
It doesn't mention that Kodi is the part that allows users to do this and that OSMC is "only" a out of the box media center focused OS. Well, that's at least my impression. I'm out of this discussion now.
(2015-04-05, 23:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Enjoy your ban, dezzerboy. I'm tired of hearing your retarded ranting.

As a long time OE user if you have banned dezzerboy for this comment I'm really disappointed.

I've been using kodi/xbmc for far too long, it makes me really sad to see people banned as a result of petty disputes, especially from a team member I really respected.

A user who made an account today for the sole purpose of stiring up an argument that several of us have been trying to keep calm. A major red flag is when he starts bitching about Nate, one of the most easy going guys I know, and who has tried to stay fair and calm throughout this entire discussion.

This guy is not here to discuss anything. He's here to argue. That's posion in an already toxic discussion, no matter who's "side" you're on.
(2015-04-06, 00:01)Ned Scott Wrote:

A user who made an account today for the sole purpose of stiring up an argument that several of us have been trying to keep calm. A major red flag is when he starts bitching about Nate, one of the most easy going guys I know, and who has tried to stay fair and calm throughout this entire discussion.

This guy is not here to discuss anything. He's here to argue. That's posion in an already toxic discussion, no matter who's "side" you're on.

Ah fair enough, didn't know he'd just signed up today and jumped right in. That said if s/he is an idiot that will become apparent to all, without the need for a ban yet - unless they have stooped to get personal insults etc.
After upgrading osmc - I had to refix the boot stuff (which is quite clear and nothing the oscm guys have done wrong ;-)). My latest patch (https://github.com/samnazarko/osmc/commi...39b1e86bb2), which was already commited to OSMC is not yet packaged.

Performance wise I did not expect wonders, but on can say, that it ships everything imx users can get (there is just not more outside, everything that is missing, is not written).

Issues are still:
- CEC is doing odd things <- kodi + libcec (upstream please)
- Fractional Modelines with proper audio clock missing <- imx kernel + little kodi patch (see my github) <- I still hope there is a way, but i am not that confident
- Speed Issues with menus and subs (the above patch only workarounds those), here some bypass model (as koying hinted) would be the right way to go <- kodi
- Another thing no one talked about yet, is the colors, full rgb vs limited tvs and other way round - washed out greys, there I don't see any development at all (as other things were needed first) <- kodi + kernel

So much about this.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-05, 23:31)miappa Wrote: @Nate
Why would you even go there? WTH?

I don't think Nate is saying what you seem to think he's saying. He's not blaming Sam or OSMC/RaspBMC for what happened with the public-relations situation, but just explaining something that did get under people's skins, which was most certainly unintentional.

Quote:@ Ned Scott
You ban him? retarded ranting? WTF?!?!!?

Keep in mind, I used to be a Crystalbuntu user, and I'd like to think that I'm on good terms with Sam and those who work on his projects with him. I also believe we are all a part of the over-all Kodi community, and feel we are better for having Crystalbuntu/RaspBMC/OSMC in thet world. Sam is not 100% in the right, and he has done some stuff that people have a right to be mad about, but I've also stood up for him to other people on Team Kodi.

I also think Vero is overpriced and that no one should buy it. I don't think the markup is justified. The box itself might not be "bad".

So I'm not on anyone's side here. Just to be clear.

To answer the question, "what the fuck": I'm a lot harsher of drive-by users who only register to jump in on a heated argument, and the first thing they do is list people they don't like and say junk about them. Maybe even some of what he said had a point, but yeah, a lot of it was retarded. Like someone just blindly swinging a bat, and hitting more players than balls.

However, if people want to put up with that, then fine.
(2015-04-06, 00:50)Ned Scott Wrote: I also think Vero is overpriced and that no one should buy it. I don't think the markup is justified. The box itself might not be "bad".

So I'm not on anyone's side here. Just to be clear.

Here here, I feel about the same.

Thanks to the 9 steps posted a few pages back, I was able to load OSMC on my Cubox-i2 this evening. The experience was about the same as I've already had with the OpenELEC test builds that fritsch has provided previously (perhaps even a little worse). The interlaced H264 test videos from http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/ couldn't keep up and watching some of my 1080i60 channels also skipped frames.

From the Vero performance thread on the OSMC forums it looks like there are more updates that have not been released to the general public yet. I will try again when those are available as public OSMC updates.
(2015-04-05, 22:30)dezzerb0y Wrote: kaijser, nate, koying: despicable and invalidate the work of many others who have only tried to bring kodi to the masses.

Woof. I'm not sure if I've ever been called despicable before. That feels like a pretty strong statement for

(2015-04-03, 00:08)natethomas Wrote: I don't think that's Sam's fault, but it very much irks me that the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal still haven't actually written the name XBMC or Kodi in their respective papers.

and

(2015-04-03, 21:20)natethomas Wrote: With that said, I still don't blame him for us not being mentioned. I had a twitter exchange that included both Sam and Joanna Stern from the WSJ after her Raspberry Pi 2 article came out, and I believe he even specifically said that he mentioned the entire rest of the organization while talking to her.

I'd be more irritated, because I generally think I would dislike being called despicable, but I feel like the tempers in this room are leading to some intensity that makes throwing out the crazy harshness understandable.

(2015-04-05, 23:31)miappa Wrote: @Nate
Why would you even go there? WTH? Whatever media puts out as news, with all the work that several of us do to help everyone, even helping distinguisjing Raspbmc/OSMC from Kodi, was it really necessary to say all that?

Some user had asked if we'd be less negative if Sam had become a sponsor or donated money. I was explaining how there were irritations, but money isn't one of them. Many are irritated about the lack of upstream. I, and evidently a few others, are more bothered by the occasional appearance that for financial or marketing reasons, Raspbmc/OSMC appears to hide the fact that there's any underlying Kodi media center behind the OS. In at least the two most obvious examples of that, I'm willing to give Sam and you guys the benefit of the doubt. Reporters don't always dig below the surface. It happens. The overall point though was to answer the question and say that any existing friction doesn't have a financial source.
I think it would go a long way to improving the situation if the getvero.tv front page had at least some reference to Kodi or XBMC on it. The fact it doesn't appear to currently feels a little mean spirited, and I can understand why this could irk some Kodi devs. I can see how it would feel intentional, even if it isn't. (Sam does mention Kodi in the progress section of his site)

This isn't an implied criticism of Sam or his work. He has obviously worked very hard on Raspbmc, OSMC and Crystalbuntu, and many people have been introduced to Kodi (and XBMC before) through his hard work.
Its funny. You start off giving journalists the benefit of the doubt for intelligence. But then you read an article about something you are familiar with and see that it is riddled with errors and misrepresentations. It makes you wonder, how full of crap are the articles on subjects I am not as familiar with?

Makes you realize that many journalists really are just hacks, and combine ignorance and apathy in equal measure to produce something of minimal standard that will fill the space.

They tell their story, not yours.

If some of the facts don't fit the narrative, they're gone.

And no, they won't print a correction unless you issue a credible threat to sue. And that is hardly ever worth doing.
I'd rather like to fix the sever issues left and then drink beer or apple juice with all that contributed. Then we can also call the press again ...
(2015-04-06, 11:58)Karnagious Wrote: Its funny. You start off giving journalists the benefit of the doubt for intelligence. But then you read an article about something you are familiar with and see that it is riddled with errors and misrepresentations. It makes you wonder, how full of crap are the articles on subjects I am not as familiar with?

Absolutely!
I've been very, very cautious on general press articles the moment they started doing IT stuff. Those articles were so full of sh... I started to double-check absolutely everything they said in domains I was no proficient.
(2015-04-06, 11:58)Karnagious Wrote: They tell their story, not yours.

If some of the facts don't fit the narrative, they're gone.

And no, they won't print a correction unless you issue a credible threat to sue. And that is hardly ever worth doing.

I think that's exactly what happened. Reporters hear about how Sam started doing this as a high school kid, and that's such a popular story that they get a bit blind to the rest of it. Frankly, it IS a cool story that Sam did a ton of work when he was in high school, but the story doesn't end or begin there. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I get the impression that he didn't totally love the reporter's take either, since he's trying to separate crystalbuntu and these later projects.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11