• 8(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-04-06, 12:01)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-04-06, 11:46)vicmanpergar Wrote: @oldpoem
I agree basically with u, Kodi devs have stated several times about that, and i understand their point of view. It is an free system and they will tell u , u're free to do it urself.
Anyway, do really anyone go to the main menu while playing a movie?. I ask cos i've never do it, specially with Kodi being able to play from the point u left the movie.
Just curious, is ur lag so horrible?

As I've said I rarely bring up main menu during playback, if I did it probably because I accidental hit back button on remote. And my lag is very minimal for my usage. It is close to normal Kodi responsiveness but I do see noticable lag when bring up main menu too. Just I'd think it's not that much lag as hentai-ecchi23 said or at least it's not much of my issue though.

good to see someone actually knows what im talking about , and yes there is lag , does it matter how much? what kind of question is that ? how much lag do i have? jesus, btw anyone that knows me knows that i dont just post out of boredom or non issues ok, have you ever seen me post feedback on non issues ever? not me nor anybody else that i know of has this kind of time to waste ,just to clarify , so let me explain something to you ,this is a big issue concerning the fluidity of the OSD display and GUI responisiveness of kodi , so yes this is a big issue , guys dont take this issue to lightly cause it isnt , to some it might not seem as much but it actually is concerning proper fluid interactivity of your media experience, thats the same like saying , well this game has lag but who cares its hardly noticeable , same thing it shouldnt be there in the first place Smile

again to easily reproduce do as i said , either go up and down with the volume to see major OSD lag or simply navigate through the OSD elements , i cant understand how anyone with proper eyesight would be able not to notice this , thats like saying people cant notice the flicker on a plasma/crt display when its running below 85hz , if you dont notice this you should get your eyes checked cause somethings wrong then , anyhow or as said backout to the kodi home screen and navigate to whatever you want or just navigate around , you can easily notice the major lag on kodis GUI during playback, i recommend xperience1080 for maximum OSD and GUI testing, since its kodis most heavy skin out there
Yes, I agree the lag exists, but I don't think you need to drone on it anymore. aracnoz seems to have a perfectionist attitude towards his player, and if wants to fix this issue, he will.
It's not big issue for me since I don't use it. I don't care about home menu navigation during playback at all since I saw no point doing it. Playback control is what really need during playback in my opinion I'm all for option to disable background playback until devs find a solution or disable for good.
guys i have already "solved" this lag issue before post the very first version of Kodi DSPlayer madVR
but I quickly discarded the solution because planned to use madVR only with backbuffer, but the main rule that I followed in this battle has always been

"madVR must run on kodi as well as on any other player without any limit otherwise you're doing something useless"

I followed this rule even when I contacted madshi and he told me that the interface that was developed for XBMC years before did not guarantee to have madVR at full potential
I immediately threw all the progress made on that interface and I started again from the beginning

Now I honestly do not think there is a serious problem of lag, if you use a remote with kodi as it should be, because it is not a desktop player as mpc, you should not have a problem that does not allow you to enjoy all that has been already done

p.s.

I am glad that the DSPlayer's community is growing, but I want to create only enjoyment, I do not want to create problems for the team kodi, for madshi in his thread on doom9 or someone else, there are not other people outside of me responsible for work on DSPlayer unfortunately for you and for me, it is obvious that DSPlayer needs huge help to become even more important and I would love to see other developers interested in improving DSPlayer, but unfortunately there is no one behind me or with me.

team kodi already supports us a lot by providing the source of the official program, updated daily, I am infinitely grateful for that

we waited so many years to have a better DSPlayer and I think that nobody would have bet that during the last month there would be so many progress
so for now let's take a moment to enjoy these improvements
@Warner306 & @oldpoem
Agree with u

@aracnoz
Agree completaly, and u've got a good attitude. Plus, we're grateful someone took over this project and made finally some dreams come true.

@hentai23
Nobody said we didn't notice the lag: our eyes are good. What i just said, (and it is the logic kind of question to ask when u're trying to understand the rest of the ppl) is that the lag is minimum on my system, and i don't see an urgent problem (more since it has no sense for me to go out from the playback to explore the main menu) and i asked about how it is for u. I move in the playback menu and filter options with a minimun lag, but in general, almost imperceptible. BUT I also asked WHAT other ppl think or how it is in their systems. Cos this, i don't know, and may be i'm the only one not feeling it as urgent. As u can see, they expressed their opinions as well. I am not saying this is something not worth of any atention or fixing, i only say u're exposing it as very urgent and it is not that way for me.
That said, if aracnoz comes with a solution to it, of course I welcome it. But for me (ME), if that's not the case, i'm ok with it.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
well i sure as hell see this as urgent, again , since it messes with my media experience , OSD lag during playback , backing out into the kodi GUI having major lag during playback are both issues that deffinitely need advanced fixing and shouldnt be disregarded as mere small annoyances , and im glad you guys do atleast notice what im talking about afterall

btw yes we all are greatful to aracnoz and kodi team for creating kodi and aracnoz for working on dsplayer build kodi continuously , ive never said otherwise , not to mention my deepest respect to madshi for creating such an advanced renderer that we all know as madvr and the rest of the crew such as tiben20 for making dsplayer possible , again these are all known facts nothing new here , we all including me know this and deeply appreciate the hard work put in
(2015-04-07, 02:48)hentai23 Wrote: well i sure as hell see this as urgent, again , since it messes with my media experience , OSD lag during playback , backing out into the kodi GUI having major lag during playback are both issues that deffinitely need advanced fixing and shouldnt be disregarded as mere small annoyances , and im glad you guys do atleast notice what im talking about afterall

btw yes we all are greatful to aracnoz and kodi team for creating kodi and aracnoz for working on dsplayer build kodi continuously , ive never said otherwise , not to mention my deepest respect to madshi for creating such an advanced renderer that we all know as madvr and the rest of the crew such as tiben20 for making dsplayer possible , again these are all known facts nothing new here , we all including me know this and deeply appreciate the hard work put in

This discussion has progressed. Aracnoz explained that he accepted the lag to include all of the processing features of madVR. Therefore, a future version of madVR woiuld have to include a feature to counter the impact of the back-buffer on OSD elements rendered ovet the image. Given a new version of madVR was just released, this would have to be included in a future version of madVR. So you might have to live with it for a while.
(2015-04-07, 03:18)Warner306 Wrote: This discussion has progressed. Aracnoz explained that he accepted the lag to include all of the processing features of madVR. Therefore, a future version of madVR woiuld have to include a feature to counter the impact of the back-buffer on OSD elements rendered ovet the image. Given a new version of madVR was just released, this would have to be included in a future version of madVR. So you might have to live with it for a while.

I think the problem is not backbuffer , it's madvr several frames advance rendered that cause the lag. Basically aracnoz said that if we use only backbuffer the lag was solved (at least on his pre-release build).

So I believed we can uncheck this feature in madvr and it'd revert to backbuffer only. I tried and all the lag were gone but no picture in background playback only audio. Not that I mind though.
(2015-04-07, 03:37)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-04-07, 03:18)Warner306 Wrote: This discussion has progressed. Aracnoz explained that he accepted the lag to include all of the processing features of madVR. Therefore, a future version of madVR woiuld have to include a feature to counter the impact of the back-buffer on OSD elements rendered ovet the image. Given a new version of madVR was just released, this would have to be included in a future version of madVR. So you might have to live with it for a while.

I think the problem is not backbuffer , it's madvr several frames advance rendered that cause the lag. Basically aracnoz said that if we use only backbuffer the lag was solved (at least on his pre-release build).

So I believed we can uncheck this feature in madvr and it'd revert to backbuffer only. I tried and all the lag were gone but no picture in background playback only audio. Not that I mind though.

There you go. Turn on described video and the problem is solved.
yes we are making progress indeed , btw what? please repeat youre sentence in english oldpoem , since warner306 seems to misunderstand what youve said ill help out with that for a sec ,what oldpoem meant was that audio playback was working but actual video playback was blacked out using aracnozs prerelease madvr dsplayer kodi build , from what i was able to piece together

so no this issue has not been solved and still needs to be worked on, since as of currently theres OSD lag and the issue of GUI lag during playback backout to kodi homescreen
(2015-04-08, 01:14)hentai23 Wrote: yes we are making progress indeed , btw what? please repeat youre sentence in english oldpoem , since warner306 seems to misunderstand what youve said ill help out with that for a sec ,what oldpoem meant was that audio playback was working but actual video playback was blacked out using aracnozs prerelease madvr dsplayer kodi build , from what i was able to piece together

so no this issue has not been solved and still needs to be worked on, since as of currently theres OSD lag and the issue of GUI lag during playback backout to kodi homescreen

Nope. I meant aracnoz said he fixed this so called lag issue (at least in his pre-release build). But discarded it since it wouldn't make use of full madVR feature because of it would use only backbuffer (which exclude present several frames in advance)

So I tried disable "present severall frames in advance" completely, it revert to backbuffer only. The lag issue is gone. It's just in my system background video is black with only audio playing. But the home menu navigating is fluid with no noticeable lag.

Also from Madshi & Aracnoz said from doom9 thread & this thread ,seem like it works like this by design and both says they felt it works fine with using remote control as intended by Kodi (don't use mouse). Madshi himself see it as low priority issue.
There were two posts about difficulties with the current DSPlayer in the guide I posted. Someone might be able to help out those posters. They have issues that haven't been addressed.

I did ask them to post here, but they have kept their communication in the other thread.

The discussion starts here: 1974591 (post)
(2015-04-08, 02:14)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-04-08, 01:14)hentai23 Wrote: yes we are making progress indeed , btw what? please repeat youre sentence in english oldpoem , since warner306 seems to misunderstand what youve said ill help out with that for a sec ,what oldpoem meant was that audio playback was working but actual video playback was blacked out using aracnozs prerelease madvr dsplayer kodi build , from what i was able to piece together

Nope. I meant aracnoz said he fixed this so called lag issue (at least in his pre-release build). But discarded it since it wouldn't make use of full madVR feature because of it would use only backbuffer (which exclude present several frames in advance)

So I tried disable "present severall frames in advance" completely, it revert to backbuffer only. The lag issue is gone. It's just in my system background video is black with only audio playing. But the home menu navigating is fluid with no noticeable lag.

Also from Madshi & Aracnoz said from doom9 thread & this thread ,seem like it works like this by design and both says they felt it works fine with using remote control as intended by Kodi (don't use mouse). Madshi himself see it as low priority issue.

yes madshi sees this as a low priorty issue compared to much bigger issues currently with madvr and i respect that , but nontheless acknowledged and admitted the current issue to be apparent and annoying and needing further fixing Wink

btw theres nowhere to disable present several frames in advance option to be seen in current kodi dsplayer build so i wouldnt know where to disable it in the first place , not to mention present several frames in advance is disabled by default on my madvr settings for both exclusive and windowed mode already, backbuffer still presents frames in advance just not several aka it goes up to 8 as can be seen in madvr settings, not sure how this is implemented in kodi thou , apparently the frames prebuffered in advance for kodi are different or lower than the ones set in madvr settings, maybe thats the issue of having a blackscreen instead of video?
I'm using the Kodi-madVR version on a daily basis and am really happy with it. It works great, thanks Madshi & Aracnoz!

There are some things I have noticed:

1. I had to go back to an older madVR version (0.87.14) because with the newer versions osd flickers while pausing a movie.

2. I also have to press pause twice to pause a movie. This only happens with madVR as video renderer.

3. Pressing stop while a movie is paused makes kodi crash.

So much for pausing a movie Wink The high gpu load while pausing should be solved with a newer madVR version if I'm not mistaken.

Can anyone confirm the above problems?
(2015-04-08, 11:32)hentai23 Wrote: yes madshi sees this as a low priorty issue compared to much bigger issues currently with madvr and i respect that , but nontheless acknowledged and admitted the current issue to be apparent and annoying and needing further fixing Wink

btw theres nowhere to disable present several frames in advance option to be seen in current kodi dsplayer build so i wouldnt know where to disable it in the first place , not to mention present several frames in advance is disabled by default on my madvr settings for both exclusive and windowed mode already, backbuffer still presents frames in advance just not several aka it goes up to 8 as can be seen in madvr settings, not sure how this is implemented in kodi thou , apparently the frames prebuffered in advance for kodi are different or lower than the ones set in madvr settings, maybe thats the issue of having a blackscreen instead of video?

madshi Wrote:You should be able to reduce the lag a bit by reducing the size of the GPU queue, the number of "presented frames in advance", and/or maybe even by disabling the "present several frames in advance" options completely for both windowed and exclusive mode. In the end this is a lag that is "by design", though. Changing the options mentioned above should reduce the lag, but it will not totally get rid of it. The reason for that is that madVR tries to render many frames in advance, to make sure playback stays smooth even if the PC gets super busy for short periods of time during playback.

Maybe I can find a way to reduce the lag in a future madVR build, but for now I have different priorities.

The keyword here is "Maybe" not "need" though.

I saw your earlier settings were way too high. It's tradeoff between smooth / responsive here. If you set it high in numbers of frames / queue it'll compensate responsiveness on osd with smooth playback (more frames rendered in advance). But if you want more responsiveness you should set it as low as possible (less frames rendered in advance) but you're at more risk of not smooth playback.

Don't worry about broken deinterlace since it's rare nowadays unless you have lot of interlaced source, but then it always easy to deinterlace by LAVFilters instead of madVR.

Kodi MadVR doesn't touch those "present frames in advance / backbuffer" settings so it uses value set in madVR global settings.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47