• 109(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
(2015-04-09, 13:06)shadowghost Wrote: WIth them you can create a sdcard on linux.

Unfortunately the create_sdcard facility is no more - removed from OpenELEC master a few days ago. This means that disk images are now the only way to get started (unless you manually partition), as in theory disk images are easier to support.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-09, 13:03)parcel Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 12:52)dunghnguyen Wrote: @Milhouse: In the another thread you are aware I am a new user of Pi 2. Hence, I wish you to advise me the your updates of Kodi 15 is the image file that I can use Win32ImageWriter to make boot on sdcard to install OPENELEC on Pi 2 as I did for the stable version 508? Sorry to disturd you since there are 80+ pages of this thread that makes me lazy enough to read. Tks Buddy! :p

openelec update is easy. Smile

1. Install stable version, boot RPi.
2. you can find openelec network computer(or \\ipaddress) in windows explorer.
3. open "update"(or ssh client "./update") folder and copy test build archive.
4. reboot RPi to install automatocally.
I downloaded the build from page 1 into an usb then plug it into Pi2...no happen?! Then I copy it into the folder /download of Pi 2 ...no happen too...do we need to reboot Pi 2? Tks
(2015-04-09, 14:30)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 13:06)shadowghost Wrote: WIth them you can create a sdcard on linux.

Unfortunately the create_sdcard facility is no more - removed from OpenELEC master a few days ago. This means that disk images are now the only way to get started (unless you manually partition), as in theory disk images are easier to support.
you mean there is only the way to use Win32ImageWriter to make it into sdcard then plug in Pi2 to boot? Tks.
(2015-04-09, 14:30)Milhouse Wrote: Unfortunately the create_sdcard facility is no more - removed from OpenELEC master a few days ago. This means that disk images are now the only way to get started (unless you manually partition), as in theory disk images are easier to support.

Yes, I often use create_sdcard. I think it was removed as it is a tool (like win32diskimages or dd) and doesn't need to be shipped with every updated image.
As long as you kept a copy, just add it to your path, and you can still create sdcard images. E.g. use this: create_sdcard.
(2015-04-09, 15:10)dunghnguyen Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 13:03)parcel Wrote: openelec update is easy. Smile

1. Install stable version, boot RPi.
2. you can find openelec network computer(or \\ipaddress) in windows explorer.
3. open "update"(or ssh client "./update") folder and copy test build archive.
4. reboot RPi to install automatocally.
I downloaded the build from page 1 into an usb then plug it into Pi2...no happen?! Then I copy it into the folder /download of Pi 2 ...no happen too...do we need to reboot Pi 2? Tks

The download in step #1 is an official disk image that you download from the OpenELEC site - the 5.0.8 disk image for instance. Once you've written the image to the SD card boot it in your Pi, then continue with the remaining steps, copying one of my test build .tar files into the Update folder on the Pi. Then reboot to apply the update - your Pi will now be running a test build.

Alternatively, use the create_sdcard method if you have a Linux system available - untar the contents of a test build into your current directory before running the script.

Repeat steps 2-4 to apply a new test build update, or install Leopolds Dev build update addon.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-09, 16:13)Milhouse Wrote: The download in step #1 is an official disk image that you download from the OpenELEC site - the 5.0.8 disk image for instance. Once you've written the image to the SD card boot it in your Pi, then continue with the remaining steps, copying one of my test build .tar files into the Update folder on the Pi. Then reboot to apply the update - your Pi will now be running a test build.
I tried this way but it notify nothing. Do I need to unzip the tar file? Tks to advise for this.
By the way @dunghnguyen, the Pi *must* boot from an SD card. If you want to use a USB disk for /storage please take a look at the wiki, or start a new thread.
(2015-04-09, 16:24)Milhouse Wrote: By the way @dunghnguyen, the Pi *must* boot from an SD card. If you want to use a USB disk for /storage please take a look at the wiki, or start a new thread.
My Pi2 write the stable version 508 to sdcard that it is running well. I continue copying your tar file into its update folder (using smartphone to browse the tar file in usb to copy into the update folder) ...this way is correct?
I tested Pi 2 with lossless Hi-res 192/24 it plays very well... I am sure this is by sw decode (Kodi lib), not hw decode since there is no 192/24 DAC chip in its spec.
I got my Rpi2 today.

I upgraded from '#0407-Rpi1' to '#0408-Rpi2' without any problem.

I've only noticed a guisettings.xml corruption after a couple of ssh reboots, but everything else seems to be fine.

Again, thanks for you great work!
(2015-04-09, 16:29)dunghnguyen Wrote: I continue copying your tar file into its update folder (using smartphone to browse the tar file in usb to copy into the update folder) ...this way is correct?

Not sure about the USB part (the Update folder is on your SD card), but there are a number of ways of transferring the tar file to the Pi. As long as you are able to copy the tar file to the Update folder then you've succeeded - reboot to complete the upgrade.

If you're having problems copying the tar file to the Pi, consider installing Leopolds addon and using that method instead.
(2015-04-09, 14:30)Milhouse Wrote: Unfortunately the create_sdcard facility is no more - removed from OpenELEC master a few days ago. This means that disk images are now the only way to get started (unless you manually partition), as in theory disk images are easier to support.
Oh didn't set up my sdcard from scratch over the last weeks so I missed that. Sorry for the wrong info, sad to hear it got removed in days when all other files are growing this small file shouldn't be a problem to ship Big Grin
Thanks for sharing the file a last time @popcornmix.
(2015-04-09, 16:49)dunghnguyen Wrote: I tested Pi 2 with lossless Hi-res 192/24 it plays very well... I am sure this is by sw decode (Kodi lib), not hw decode since there is no 192/24 DAC chip in its spec.

I'm not sure I understand you. If you are using HDMI then there is no DAC involved (it stays digital so no Digital to Analogue Conversion). If you are using the analogue output of the Pi then that is quite low quality, so probably down sampled somewhere along the line as it is PWM rather than a conventional DAC I believe.

All of the conversion from Dolby, FLAC, DTS etc. to PCM is software on the Pi / Pi 2 and Kodi I believe - I don't think there is any hardware Dolby or DTS involved (Though there is a teasing, unused, codec licence line for DTS in the config.txt file on some releases)
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0409: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.19.3 #1 Thu Apr 9 21:03:39 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr  6 2015 13:30:31
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 52e98d667b8b6ef27a2df8d817807701057bb30d (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150409210248-#0409-g7af5fff [Build #0409]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001541.723: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (7af5fff7, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (0e7941b4, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. New flag for Movie Sets
  2. Improved dvdplayer audio sync, in particular for PVR
Build Details:
  1. XBMC:
    • [Infomanager + Confluence] add IsCollection infolabel + related skin changes for list views (PR:6900, 2 commits, 6 files changed)
    • UPnP: some fixes and improvements (PR:6862, 3 commits, 5 files changed)
    • Limit Gui Rendering when playing fullscreen video (PR:6898, 4 commits, 8 files changed)
    • fix fading of CGUIImage (PR:6905, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • dvdplayer: improve audio sync (PR:6880, 2 commits, 10 files changed)
    • [pvr] check linked recordings when determining if an EPG tag is currently being recorded (PR:6903, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [Confluence] cosmetics (c82de5c5)
    • [Confluence] unify filemanager list (2e1f07c8)
  2. pvr.argustv:
    • Fix race condition on channel GUID cache (PR:6, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
  3. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • Revert "[omxplayer] Only enable audio clock master when A/V sync method is set to audio clock" (ab5e9d54)
      • squash: add timeout to vc_dispmanx_vsync_callback (148cfef8)
      • [mmalrenderer] Remove dropping logic. It only seems to make things worse (0d10cc9c)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • renderer: Allow gui updates to be skipped when playing video (df997cbf)
      • Lang: Add ressources strings for Gui Limits (0cc3bfb0)
      • IMX: Add special settings file with render reduction (811328a0)
      • RPB: Adjust settings to also use new limitgui setting (36a73e8e)
      • dvdplayer: improve audio sync (04919be3)
      • dvdplayer: protect live streams (pvr) from stalling (0e61ee14)
      • fix fading of CGUIImage (5f4bd17f)
Can any Live TV users try latest build with omxplayer disabled.
I think the windowed playback in channel view should be less stuttery.
  • 109(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112