Recording in progress - Playback doesnt know the file is growing
This is definitely not working. The end time doesn't get updated and as soon as the current position reaches the end time (which in fact isn't the real endtime, since it's a growing file), I'm dropped back to the the recordings menu. This is with nextpvr and the last Kodi beta 2, but I would be surprised if this is working with another backend that use http streams for recordings playback.

Chris
I can confirm that this is not working with the latest Kodi build and the Argus-TV back-end.

This is one of the latest bugs that I know of (and for me) that should be fixed, before I migrate to Kodi.
for me I don't notice a difference between Kodi and the other builds... they just don't work properly with nPVR.... I'm about to give up on XBMC/KODI - I think it's a great piece of software and the developers do a great job... but for me, the lack of this basic pvr feature ruins the experience.
I can confirm that this doesn't work using Mediaportal as a backend either.

Eg: I start recording an hour long show, 30 minutes in I start to watch the recorded file - then when I have watched 30 minutes playback stops (I also cannot seek past 30 minutes).
Even though by this time the recorded file is 1 hour long..
It's a real pain as you have to keep stopping playback and re-starting it again so that the file length is re-read.
why does this never get fixed? Has it not been posted in the right place?
Can be fixed, the dvblogic addon did it: https://github.com/dvblogic/xbmc-pvr-add...03d5b60710
(2014-11-13, 11:23)Uukrul Wrote: Can be fixed, the dvblogic addon did it: https://github.com/dvblogic/xbmc-pvr-add...03d5b60710

thanks for teh info... so you use teh DVBlink backend thenHuh Have you used other backends/? how does it compare? does it have the same features in terms of scheduling recurring shows etc/?

Thanks
Sorry, but I never used DVBLink so I don't know how good it is.
We support it in pvr.wmc/ServerWMC
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-11-12, 22:12)haverer2 Wrote: for me I don't notice a difference between Kodi and the other builds... they just don't work properly with nPVR.... I'm about to give up on XBMC/KODI - I think it's a great piece of software and the developers do a great job... but for me, the lack of this basic pvr feature ruins the experience.

If you use the x-newa plugin it can be configured to play NextPVR recording including In-Progress from local drives and shares so the http problem goes away. With pkscout's Confluence mode for Kodi, you can even replace the PVR Recording menu option so it call's x-newa. Playing from shares helps with comskip too.

Martin
In addition to having kodi detect that an active recording is growing, it would also be great if we can tell kodi what the time duration of the active recording will be so that the play position is reported accurately in the OSD.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
What do we need to do to get this fixed in Kodi? I'm seeing several threads on this forum, some very old, some newer like this one. But I can't find any ticket that's going to solve this. Maybe someone can explain the technical background of the solution in the dvblogic addon? The same goes for the pvr.wmc/ServerWMC. Is the end time changing, thus showing the total time recorded at the current moment?

Chris
(2015-04-12, 21:40)Sheik Yerbouti Wrote: What do we need to do to get this fixed in Kodi? I'm seeing several threads on this forum, some very old, some newer like this one. But I can't find any ticket that's going to solve this. Maybe someone can explain the technical background of the solution in the dvblogic addon? The same goes for the pvr.wmc/ServerWMC. Is the end time changing, thus showing the total time recorded at the current moment?

Chris

I'm not an expert but did a lot of digging on this one to try and get NextPVR working the way I wanted.

It seems that a growing file can be handled just fine through SMB shares (what serverwmc uses). However HTTP streams (NextPVR and several others) it cannot detect the growing file and that's why it thinks it has hit the end.

So it would seem that if the growing file issue was fixed for HTTP streams that would solve a lot of the issues.
(2015-04-14, 15:00)kmarq Wrote: I'm not an expert but did a lot of digging on this one to try and get NextPVR working the way I wanted.

It seems that a growing file can be handled just fine through SMB shares (what serverwmc uses). However HTTP streams (NextPVR and several others) it cannot detect the growing file and that's why it thinks it has hit the end.

So it would seem that if the growing file issue was fixed for HTTP streams that would solve a lot of the issues.
Actually I think that growing file isn't handled that great with smb or nfs shares. Yes, the file keeps playing, but the end time isn't the real end time. So skipping can give problems. Let me give an example: I'm recording a tv show and after 20 minutes I start watching. From that moment the end time is 0:20:00. After I've been watching for 10 minutes, the end time should have changed to 00:30:00, but it's still 00:20:00. Only after I've been watching for the full 20 minutes, the end time will change. But it doesn't change to the real end time. It changes to the same time as the current position. So from that moment on it should be 00:40:00, but it's 00:20:01 and counting and I can't skip through the file. Fast forward is available, but when I reach the real end time using fast forward, the current play position goes to the beginning of the file.
Now, this is pretty basic pvr functionality. Nextpvr does this very well (no, not in Kodi of course) and so does my Samsung TV when I pause live tv. I wish I could have the same functionality in Kodi, or even the smallest signal that someone is working on this. It would be very good for the WAF in my household Smile

Chris
It is probably not ideal, but if you know what time the recording started, and you know the current time, you should (at least in theory - not sure if there can be exceptions) know the total length of the recording.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording in progress - Playback doesnt know the file is growing1